Problem flashing with wideangle.

Started Oct 4, 2008 | Discussions
Ricardolas Regular Member • Posts: 294
Problem flashing with wideangle.

Hi,

I only have the popup flash of my 400D and when i try to shoot with a wide angle (10-22) using flash it appears a big shadow on the photo. I think it's the shadow of the lens :\! How can I solve this problem? May I buy a new flash? I looked to a 580 EX II in a shop but it looks really huge and heavy Oo!

ed rader Veteran Member • Posts: 8,916
"...really huge and heavy Oo!"

i use a 430 ex, which is slightly smaller :).

ed rader

-- hide signature --
 ed rader's gear list:ed rader's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Bbasiaga Forum Member • Posts: 83
Re: Problem flashing with wideangle.

Look at the 430EX or 220EX. They are cheaper, somewhat lighter, and you'll only be giving up functions you're likely not to use (like master control over multiple flashes).

The on board flash isn't good for much. I believe that even if the lens shadow wasn't a problem, you'd find that its fill radius is such that the edges of the photo would be dark as well.

A hot shoe camera flash is high on my list of must haves.

OP Ricardolas Regular Member • Posts: 294
Re: "...really huge and heavy Oo!"

And a flash like that will solve my problem? Is it prepared to shoot 10mm without put the shadow of the lens?

do you have the hood removed? if so you are SOL i'm afraid.

ed rader

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more

of course I have

then you are SOL :)!

by a flashgun!

ed rader

-- hide signature --

!?..

SoL.......

sh*t outta luck.

ed rader

-- hide signature --
Carskick Senior Member • Posts: 1,118
430EX can cover 14mm FOV on FF

430EX can cover 14mm FOV on FF, where as you're 10mm has a fov like a 16mm on full frame, so it will have the overage, and is high enough to clear the lens. To put the 430EX in 14mm mode, you have to enable the deffuser by pulling it out and placing it so it covers the flash. The back of the camera will say 14mm.

Re: 430EX can cover 14mm FOV on FF

That's a cool information! I see that exists a new 430 EX II, do you recomend me that one? It's also 14mm minimum? Whats the minimum of the 580 EX II to compare? :)!

JFScheck
JFScheck Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: 430EX can cover 14mm FOV on FF

I too was between the 430Ex ii and the 580Ex ii - went with the 580 only because it is a bit bigger - but throws more light (nice for bounce fills) and it can be a master. Yes - a little bigger but in my storage bag and on the camera I don't notice it...

If you don't need those features - then the 430Ex ii would be great!!!

You won't believe how much better your flash photos will be raising the flash higher above the film plane.

-- hide signature --

John 'JFScheck' Scheck
'Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead.'

JFScheck's gear list:JFScheck's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Joe Photo Lover Veteran Member • Posts: 3,040
Re: Problem flashing with wideangle.

Ricardolas wrote:

Hi,
I only have the popup flash of my 400D and when i try to shoot with a
wide angle (10-22) using flash it appears a big shadow on the photo.
I think it's the shadow of the lens :\! How can I solve this problem?
May I buy a new flash? I looked to a 580 EX II in a shop but it looks
really huge and heavy Oo!

Any of Canon's EX series of flash units should alleviate your problem provided that you use them in a bounce position for your UWA shots. You can use a ceiling or a bounce bracket, an off camera shoe cord or a defuser. Each of these would provide much improvement over your pop-up flash. The more powerful the flash unit the better your results will be.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads