Compare Leica Dlux 4, Canon G10, Panasonic DMC Lx3, Nikon P6000

Started Sep 27, 2008 | Discussions
DuffyDawg Forum Member • Posts: 60
Compare Leica Dlux 4, Canon G10, Panasonic DMC Lx3, Nikon P6000

I like taking pictures and am in the market for a new camera. I owned a Pentax Spomatic for many years and recently a Nikon Coolpix 880. Don't want to carry a 35mm anymore and enjoyed the size of the Coolpix 880. So my requirements include:
1. Wide angle lens
2. Hot shoe
3. Able to fit into my pocket.

4. Not sure about the limited zoom in the Leica/Panasonic but like the brighter lens. I could use another camera for the zoomed in shots.

None of these cameras are available to check out locally and I'd like to have opinions on which camera would be most usefull and durable.

RickS Veteran Member • Posts: 4,579
Wrong forum, DD

You might want to try the Open Talk forum. Maybe also consider a visit to the specific forums for each of those cameras and do a little research.

Rick

DuffyDawg wrote:

I like taking pictures and am in the market for a new camera. I
owned a Pentax Spomatic for many years and recently a Nikon Coolpix
880. Don't want to carry a 35mm anymore and enjoyed the size of the
Coolpix 880. So my requirements include:
1. Wide angle lens
2. Hot shoe
4. Not sure about the limited zoom in the Leica/Panasonic but like
the brighter lens. I could use another camera for the zoomed in
shots.
None of these cameras are available to check out locally and I'd like
to have opinions on which camera would be most usefull and durable.

Prognathous Veteran Member • Posts: 9,017
Re: Compare Leica Dlux 4, Canon G10, Panasonic DMC Lx3, Nikon P6000

The G10 won't fit in a pocket. The DLUX4 and LX3 are the same camera and a damn good one if I may add. Their main drawbacks are the short tele-end and the detachable lens-cap. The P6000 is another rather boring Coolpix, with slow RAW (which to make matters worse is not only proprietary, but also closed-spec).

You forgot one more camera that belongs in this group - Ricoh GX200. Its lens goes wider than the G10 and P6000 and longer than the DLUX4/LX3. It's also the only camera with an accurate viewfinder option (tiltable EVF), the best user interface and the best macro mode. Drawbacks? Higher than average noise at high ISO and a hot-shoe that doesn't support TTL.

Prog.

Prognathous's gear list:Prognathous's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +10 more
George Lechter Senior Member • Posts: 1,564
LX3 is the winner.

The LX3 is a fantastic camera. Super bright f2.0 aperture works great, even better than the Fuji F31D. Focuses fast and is sharp.

Both the Nikon P6000 and the Sigma DP1 focus very slowly.

The Canon G10 is very heavy, and very noisy in low light.

So really the LX3 is the clear winner. I don't miss the tele reach (it has 2.5)...you can reach with your feet.

George Lechter's gear list:George Lechter's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
MrRoger Contributing Member • Posts: 710
Olympus SPxxxUZ range?

Some nice cameras there.

George Lechter Senior Member • Posts: 1,564
Re: LX3 is the winner.

LX3 weighs 50% less than Canon G10 (9 vs. 14 oz)

George Lechter's gear list:George Lechter's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
osloray
osloray Veteran Member • Posts: 4,776

Depends on the size of your pocket, doesn't it? I just read in another forum that the person always had his G9 in his pocket. If we are talking jeans, very few cameras will fit in the pocket. If you wear a sports jacket, no problems bringing a G10 (yes, I have handled it).
--
Raymond
http://www.bildebank.com

osloray's gear list:osloray's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
Fred Meehan1 Regular Member • Posts: 472

George Lechter wrote:

The LX3 is a fantastic camera. Super bright f2.0 aperture works
great, even better than the Fuji F31D. Focuses fast and is sharp.

Really where did you get that information from, there are no reliable reviews out for the G10 and in fact it hasn't even been released for sale yet.If it is as good as the G9 it will be the best compact on the market.

So really the LX3 is the clear winner. I don't miss the tele reach
(it has 2.5)...you can reach with your feet.

The LX3 is no doubt a decent camera but how can it be a winner over one that is not even on the market yet?

Fred

John W Peterson Senior Member • Posts: 2,737
Which pocket ?

Pocket of a windbreaker or sportsuit vs Pocket of your jeans ?

The new Canon promises a lot, except of course for high iso performance that wouldn't seem to be possible given it's likely photosite density.

The Panasonic is a great camera, and may be Panasonics best efffort to date in it's class. Wide Fast lens etc - of course it is limited at the "long end" and it lacks some of the easy access controls available on the Canon (iso, exposure bias) which are instead accessed via menu.

What I would put out there though, is that at this point, before you jump on the digicam band wagon, perhaps you should look at the new micro 4/3 cameras such as are already announced by Panasonic (with Olympuses offerings shown in mock-up). These offer sensor sizes dramatically bigger then most digicams (except for the Sigma DP1 etc), as well as interchangable lens's.

Alternatively, the Sigma DP1 (and it's descendant) offer an even larger sensor in a very small, pocketable camera. It has it's own quirks - autofocus is a bit pokey- but the image quality is amazing. I wouldn't part with mine.

OP DuffyDawg Forum Member • Posts: 60
Re: Wrong forum, DD

RickS: What are you the forum cop? Read the top line! Welcome to the News Discussion Forum, the place to discuss news articles, breaking news and new technology.

All four of these cameras fall under news articles, breaking news and new technology. Three of the four cameras were introduced via news stories at Photokina.

If you have nothing constructive to say move on somewhere else or start your own thread.

Thanks to everyone else for your input!

swatch Forum Member • Posts: 55
Re: Olympus SPxxxUZ range?

Olympus UZ-series cameras are nowhere near pocketable.

Jay Aquino Senior Member • Posts: 1,029
Recently tested a LX3 instore now waiting the G10

The LX is a good form factor with a nice wide and bright lens. But the tele end may be a liittle short even if my favorite lens on my on a full frame bod is 24-70.

The G10 appears to have the best controls ever seen in any body right now:

(1) Concentric ISO and mode dial
(2) Thumb wheel on body
(3) Left exposure comp wheel.

So I will wait to see.

Jay

Heikki Kultala Contributing Member • Posts: 724
very bad choice
  • Not pocketable

• Small 1/2.35" sensor means lots of noise/bad noise removal artifacts.

travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Senior Member • Posts: 2,826
Re: very bad choice

I shouldn't really comment here, as I have tried out none of these cameras, but I keep my eye on all the compact wide angle cams as well (no really good wide angle small camera at the time is what got me into DSLRs a few years ago).

The G7, the one I had, fit in my pocket, but I am 6'2 and have big pockets, it is not as small, but small enough to be manageable. The LX-3 is smaller.

However, the LX-3, from everything I have looked at (and I may end up picking one up) is a bit of a niche camera, it is really wide, and from what I understand, you need to be willing to do a lot of it in manual to get good photos. Panasonic doesn't have a very good history of noise control, but some reviews point to them fixing this with the LX-3.

I always like to have a small camera, so if I were in the market for a new small camera right now, you've picked the ones I would look at (I might also wait and see what Fuji's new sensor looks like, they have thus far made the best low light performance dig-cams). The LX-3 is certainly in a class of it's own with its ultra wide angle... if it combines excellent IQ with good noise control, it would be a keeper even if you ended up getting a second small cam for more reach.

Cheers,

-TBRI

amd Regular Member • Posts: 357

George Lechter wrote:

The LX3 is a fantastic camera. Super bright f2.0 aperture works
great, even better than the Fuji F31D. Focuses fast and is sharp.

Sure an excellent Camera. But how are you comparing it to the F31d?
Can you please share the test you red/did with us?

Again, can you please share the credible test with us?

AFAIR the G10 final should be extremely difficult to get for a test at this moment.
Dpreview did not get it so far....

So really the LX3 is the clear winner. I don't miss the tele reach
(it has 2.5)...you can reach with your feet.

The LX3 is on my list to check too, but I'll C O M P A R E it in real life first.

YMMV

amd's gear list:amd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +13 more
amd Regular Member • Posts: 357

DuffyDawg wrote:

I like taking pictures and am in the market for a new camera. I
owned a Pentax Spomatic for many years and recently a Nikon Coolpix
880. Don't want to carry a 35mm anymore and enjoyed the size of the
Coolpix 880. So my requirements include:
1. Wide angle lens
2. Hot shoe
4. Not sure about the limited zoom in the Leica/Panasonic but like
the brighter lens. I could use another camera for the zoomed in
shots.
None of these cameras are available to check out locally and I'd like
to have opinions on which camera would be most usefull and durable.

I'm having similar thoughts at the moment.

Make sure you are checking both cameras in a local store before buying, and find out if you feel like carrying them around. I found out that my Canon G5 is to bulky for me to carry it around every day.

If the G10 is similar to it's predecessors, it should be very durable. I also like the software available for the canon line-up (have a DSLR too). Can't comment on the Panasonic.

I understand that you would like to make a decision now, but I would definitely wait until you have a chance to check them out in person.

You are mentioning the hot shoe. Do you already have a flash you would like to reuse? I have a Canon flash, which make the G10 a bit more interesting. If you don't have one you are reusing, Metz makes excellent generic stuff...
Would be interesting for me, to hear your final thoughts/decision here.
Cheers,
Alexander

amd's gear list:amd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +13 more
Art Vandelay II Regular Member • Posts: 394
Re: Recently tested a LX3 instore now waiting the G10

Jay Aquino wrote:
The G10 appears to have the best controls ever seen in any body right
now:

(1) Concentric ISO and mode dial

-- hide signature --

Only problem here is that the ISO dial will be pretty much worthless since Caon had the wonderful idea to pack 15megapixels in there. You'll be lucky to get anything usable at ISO200...much less 400 or 800.

I'd go LX3 and not think twice about it. It's about time we reward a company for pulling out of the MP race.

Here's a short review I found of it earlier today...it's far less technical than a DPR review. It's more from the perspective of a photographer using the camera. He was very impressed:

http://www.lawrenceripsher.com/blog/2008/08/panasonic-lx3-review.html

I personally still want to wait and follow the development of the Olympus m4/3's camera though.

Art Vandelay II's gear list:Art Vandelay II's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1
Jay Aquino Senior Member • Posts: 1,029
Let's see...

In truth ISO 800 is pretty much the best you can expect right. Downsizing the super big 15MP down to 6MP might acutually toast the high ISO noise down to tolerable levels.

I have a 1DS mkI and I routinely downsize the high ISO shots to 6MP as a noise reduction step.

Jay

Armand Hirt Contributing Member • Posts: 927

amd wrote:

If the G10 is similar to it's predecessors, it should be very
durable.

If it anything like the two previous cameras in the G-series, it will be a bulky toy prone to crippling dust issues, but producing good images.

• Armand

Roger Knight Forum Member • Posts: 74

As far as value goes, value is not all about money , it's also about other perceived things too.

By profession I am a financial modeller and a financial analyst in the Hospitality industry so numbers and value are my thing and having said that I know the following statement will surprise the forum.

I think the Leica D-Lux 4 may be the best value out of the three of them.

Forum guys can speculate all you wish but because Capture One V4 software is included with the Leica D-Lux 4 and by now you will know it really is the cutting edge of Raw file processing and a light year ahead of the New Photoshop CS4 offering, I'd reckon the extra price may be worth it just for that feature.

There is another reason to buy the Leica and that is that the JPG's are processed slightly differently and come out more like Leica "photos" than the noisy Panasonic LX1 and LX 2s. I also understand they are nicer than the LX3 results; Marginally I understand, but still better as one might expect from such a perfectionist company.

I guess resale value of the Leica is always going to be better too and one must take a long-term financial view with any gear, even if long term means only two years until a better model comes along. It's the total long term spend that one needs to look at.

I would dismiss the canon because it's not quite serious enough for me because the lens specifications of one stop less lets it down by comparison with the Lieicasonic's gorgeous lens. Limited in length I know but still gorgeous from what I have so far seen.

I'm going to central Europe during November to early January to do some work which includes a heap of photography above and below ground in the wine districts. I'll need a compact to complement the NIKON D200 gear with me so I think I'll be getting a D-Lux 4 system in Vienna. The F2 lens will be excellent for the low available light at that time of the year. Certainly different from my native Australia at that time of the year! Brrrrr. I feel cold just thinking about it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads