Love the LX3 but hate Lens Caps

Started Sep 23, 2008 | Discussions
Leica Man Regular Member • Posts: 111
Love the LX3 but hate Lens Caps

I am thinking of getting a LX3, but the lack of a built in lens cover is turning me away.

The Canon G9/G10 are bigger cameras yet have auto lens covers. So why didn't Panasonic not bother with it in the LX3?

How hard is to manage the lens cap? Is it easy to loose? Is there a cord the comes and keeps it attached? So then does it dangle away?

Thanks.

jtml New Member • Posts: 18
Re: Love the LX3 but hate Lens Caps

This is a cord. Otherwise you loose the cap. I don't know how it dangles as haven't put the cord on mine yet, only had it overnight.

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902

No big deal. My DSLRs have lens caps. My FZ18/28 had lens caps. If you attach it by the supplied cord it just dangles. Works fine.

-- hide signature --

Phil .. Canon EOS 40D, 20D, G9, SD700IS; Panasonic LX3, TZ5; Fuji F31fd.
http://www.pbase.com/phil_wheeler
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_ox/

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Sony RX10 IV Panasonic ZS100
Bill McClung
Bill McClung Veteran Member • Posts: 3,364

I have been using non-attached lens caps on 35mm rangefinders and various film and digital SLRs for a very long time and have only managed to lose one of them. Losing one cap over a period of more than 50 years has not turned out to be a big problem.

I would much rather take the cap off and slip it back into the case or a pocket than have the thing dangling from the camera.

-- hide signature --

Bill McClung (a.k.a. 'NC BILL')
Image galleries at http://www.pbase.com/nc_bill

'Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper.....the photographer begins with the finished product.' --- Edward Steichen

elvisM Regular Member • Posts: 239

when i first got my fz50 i thought i would hate the lens cap but it grew on me. once i take it out of the camera bag i would put the cap either in the bag or in my pocket. when it goes back in the bag i put the cap back on. its really not a big deal. it becomes habit. man i really want a lx3 to go along with my fz50.
--
learning about photography

Elvis
Vienna, Virginia

elvisM's gear list:elvisM's gear list
Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D600 Zeiss Milvus 50mm F1.4 Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +3 more
Frank B Veteran Member • Posts: 5,410

I just put in my pocket.

Leica Man wrote:

I am thinking of getting a LX3, but the lack of a built in lens cover
is turning me away.

The Canon G9/G10 are bigger cameras yet have auto lens covers. So why
didn't Panasonic not bother with it in the LX3?

How hard is to manage the lens cap? Is it easy to loose? Is there a
cord the comes and keeps it attached? So then does it dangle away?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --
 Frank B's gear list:Frank B's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Tom Hoots
Tom Hoots Veteran Member • Posts: 6,073
Another pocketeer.

Yes, the LX3 comes with a little cord to attach the lens cap, and instructions for how to string it up.

But I just hate dangly lens caps. Even moreso than "lens caps," themselves.

I just put it in my pocket.

Like other folks, I've been doing it for a decade or more; haven't lost one yet.
--
Tom Hoots
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomhoots/

Bill McClung
Bill McClung Veteran Member • Posts: 3,364
Re: Or there is this auto lens cap for it.

Now, that is just strange! ..... but very cool!

-- hide signature --

Bill McClung (a.k.a. 'NC BILL')
Image galleries at http://www.pbase.com/nc_bill

'Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper.....the photographer begins with the finished product.' --- Edward Steichen

dygo1 Contributing Member • Posts: 981

It has been reported that the auto lens cap causes vignetting at the telephoto range. It's funny if you check out this thread http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1033&thread=29440406 as it seems like the TZ owners are going exactly the opposite direction and seeking more protection to their lens

dygo1's gear list:dygo1's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810
jtml New Member • Posts: 18

If you want to keep dust/lint from creeping onto the front surface, a tight fitting lens cap is probably going to work better than an automatic vane. Just a thought.

gteague
gteague Veteran Member • Posts: 3,000

Bill McClung wrote:

I have been using non-attached lens caps on 35mm rangefinders and
various film and digital SLRs for a very long time and have only
managed to lose one of them. Losing one cap over a period of more
than 50 years has not turned out to be a big problem.

I would much rather take the cap off and slip it back into the case
or a pocket than have the thing dangling from the camera.

bill has 10 years on me, but i share both sentiments nearly exactly. i can't remember that i've lost more than 1 or two lens caps over the decades and literally hundreds of cameras.

and letting it dangle is an invitation, nay a certainty, of having it swing into your lens, perhaps chipping the front coating at the least.

i say throw it away so it won't bother you (get the protective filter if having the front element exposed bothers you), or stick it in your damm pocket and suck it up! [g]

btw, my first 35mm camera was an argus c3 which i got for $5 since it had a cracked element inside the lens and it shot every bit as good as any argus c3 in existence, not that that's saying much ...

guy

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Leica Q2 Panasonic S1 Leica CL Panasonic Lumix S Pro 16-35mm F4 Panasonic S Pro 70-200mm F4 OIS
ericN2
ericN2 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,113

Leica Man wrote:

I am thinking of getting a LX3, but the lack of a built in lens cover
is turning me away.

The Canon G9/G10 are bigger cameras yet have auto lens covers. So why
didn't Panasonic not bother with it in the LX3?

How hard is to manage the lens cap? Is it easy to loose? Is there a
cord the comes and keeps it attached? So then does it dangle away?

Thanks.

This 'loose' lens cap thing is probably the one thing above all that still puts me off the LX cams. It was the same of course on the LX2 which I have, and it has always annoyed me that you just HAVE to deal it with it in one way or other.

But I'm surprised that nobody at all in any post concerning the cap that I can think of , has ever mentioned the simple manner in which I dealt with it on the LX2 - not the total solution but at least I found it convenient enough in my own use.

Just tether it to the LEFT Side then when you take it off for pic-shooting, take it with your LEFT hand and just almost without giving it a thought, 'cup' it in your left hand as you hold the camera.

As nearly every control (bar Macro in the main) is a RIGHT hand job, the cap remains almost un-noticeable between your left hand and the camera body (mostly for which hand you use to hold the camera without needing that hand - if going to Macro this is a finger move anyway) .. so it is not dangling at all , it is grasped betwen hand and camera , until you close down and put the cap back on.

Sounds a lot more than it is - it's just almost a non-entity whilst you are using the camera - far better than fiddling in your coat pocket to retrieve the cap .. and certainly better than dangling !!

-- hide signature --

eric-UK

UCSB
UCSB Contributing Member • Posts: 993
I like the len cap ...

I like the lens cap. In addition to the LX3, I also own the Canon G9 (plus many others) with the built-in lens cover. Zero difference to me.

-- hide signature --

Bill.

UCSB's gear list:UCSB's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M5 +25 more
artisanat Contributing Member • Posts: 744

Lens caps don't bother me. I take them off to use the camera, generally put them in a bag or a pocket, and put them on again afterward.

I think the added complexity of a mechanical lens cap to go wrong would worry me more.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Artisanat

WoodWorks Senior Member • Posts: 1,591
Love Lens Caps

I too have never lost a lens cap in almost 25 years of shooting with them. But I have had two cameras with automatic lens cover openings get clogged with sand or other debris and stop functioning. Give me a lens cap every time!

David

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902

dygo1 wrote:

It has been reported that the auto lens cap causes vignetting at the
telephoto range.

It looks like this one has been modified (three black disks on the interior), probably to eliminate the vignetting with the lens retracted (max zoom).

Attachment is another issue: Looks to be a bayonet arrangement and the LX3 has a screw thread of about 44 mm.

-- hide signature --

Phil .. Canon EOS 40D, 20D, G9, SD700IS; Panasonic LX3, TZ5; Fuji F31fd.
http://www.pbase.com/phil_wheeler
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_ox/

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Sony RX10 IV Panasonic ZS100
Chris Christenberry Contributing Member • Posts: 521
-- hide signature --

I may start a fight here, but.........................

I've never been too impressed with the self-closing lens covers on most point and shoot cameras. They just look to me to be something else to malfunction.......when least expected. In the back of my mind I've always thought "Real cameras have lens caps!"

Robert Deutsch Forum Pro • Posts: 10,229
Apart from the inconvenience...

...of having this extra "thing" to deal with, the lens cap slows down your ability to grab quick shots. This is pointed out in the camera labs review of the LX3: "it’s also infuriating to find a physical cap protecting it rather than the built-in sliding covers on other models. It slows you down when powering-up the camera and of course also runs the risk of being lost."

Like many (most?) of the people who post on this forum, I have a DSLR, and of course I have to deal with lens caps--but it doesn't mean that I have to like it. I put up with it because there is no other way to get the IQ I want. For DSLRs, some people deal with the lens cap issue by having a UV filter on the lens all the time, and the lens cap stays off the camera when the lens is on the camera. With the LX3, this would be possible only if you install the filter adapter, which makes the camera more unwieldy. I'm not a fan of UV filters myself, so what I do with DSLR lenses is it to have the hood on the lens whenever I'm using it, and put on the cap only when I put the lens away. But this, again, is not a viable solution for the LX3. Having to deal with the lens cap wouldn't stop me from buying the LX3, but it's certainly a major item in the "Cons" column. BTW, for the G9/G10, the corresponding item in the "Cons" column is "Weight"--there is simply no camera with all "Pros" and no "Cons"

Bob

Robert Deutsch's gear list:Robert Deutsch's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II
MrClick Senior Member • Posts: 1,886
Re: Apart from the inconvenience...

Actually, everybody is correct here. There are pros and cons to both lens caps and auto lens covers. But this factor really shouldn't affect your choice of purchase of a camera... in my opinion... because there are much more important parameters to judge a camera by! Else using a DSLR will be impossible unless their lens also come with auto lens caps... not a bad idea if someone discovers a better way to accomplish this without adding to the bulk of current lens design!

-- hide signature --

Click

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads