Adaptors for old lenses for the G1?

Started Sep 22, 2008 | Discussions
pavinder Regular Member • Posts: 277
Adaptors for old lenses for the G1?

I've been a Canon SLR user for years and have 6 lenses for my 2 camera bodies.

A year and a half ago I bought an LX2 which has been a wonderful addition and changed my photographic life beyond belief, now being able to carry a camera everywhere everyday. But I miss the flexibility of the SLR.

The G1 seems to be a great move forward, and I know that many new lenses will eventually become available, but to be honest after spending so much already I simply don't want to have to buy a whole new set of lenses if I buy a G1. I'd rather just have one basic lens and then occasionally take along one of my other Canon lenses for specific purposes.

Is there some technical limitation to prevent a third party manufacturer from making an adaptor to connect "regular" (as opposed to 4/3) lenses to a G1 body? I understand that things like image stabilization or stopped-down previews may not fully be compatible, but given that I usually shoot in fully manual mode, this isn't so important.

Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 20,630
Re: Adaptors for old lenses for the G1?

That's not in the manufacturers best interests - they sell lenses.

Hopefully some outfit like Pemeraal will be able to do it, though.

It seems a sort of shame that you got the LX2 for your compact camera, though - a sort of "niche" camera, as it's been said, & the LX3 apparently even more so, great as these are at what they do.

You may want to try an FZ28, or for even more portability, a TZ-5.

These are both capable of superb results, and the compact size of the TZ series in particular is very liberating to those of us who tired of juggling big cameras & multiple lenses years ago.

Speaking for myself, of course, "Your mileage may vary".

-Erik
--

http://www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ 'ohlsonmh'+yahoo gets me

OP pavinder Regular Member • Posts: 277

Thanks for comments Erik

That's not in the manufacturers best interests - they sell lenses.

Yes, I didn't mean to suggest Panasonic might make such an adaptor, but as you say some other outfit may do it.

You may want to try an FZ28, or for even more portability, a TZ-5.

These are both capable of superb results, and the compact size of the
TZ series in particular is very liberating to those of us who tired
of juggling big cameras & multiple lenses years ago.

Speaking for myself, of course, "Your mileage may vary".

Yeah, my mileage varies a little. No manual focus on the TZ5 kills it for me.
The FZ28 looks nice, but absolutely not pocketable like the LX2.

Looking to the future though the FZ28 looks a nice camera, although if I can get my existing lenses onto the G1 then the G1's flexibility and slightly higher resolution would suit me better. Very close call though - the FZ28's zoom range is excellent and the bonus of movie clips....having all this built in to the one camera is admittedly tempting.

leandrod Contributing Member • Posts: 792
No problems

pavinder wrote:

Is there some technical limitation to prevent a third party
manufacturer from making an adaptor to connect "regular" (as opposed
to 4/3) lenses to a G1 body?

None, in fact the consortium expects it to happen. If history is any guide, Fotodiox will have an almost full range, several Chinese will be on sale at eBay, and the Russians will make a Dandelion chip for the Olympus models.

Only these adaptors are usually for manual lenses only.

I understand that things like image
stabilization or stopped-down previews may not fully be compatible,

Olympus does support image stabilisation for legacy lenses in their Four Thirds bodies.

-- hide signature --

Mineiro

Re: No problems

leandrod wrote:

to 4/3) lenses to a G1 body?

None, in fact the consortium expects it to happen. If history is any
guide, Fotodiox will have an almost full range, several Chinese will
be on sale at eBay, and the Russians will make a Dandelion chip for
the Olympus models.

Only these adaptors are usually for manual lenses only.

I hope history repeats! Thanks for the information - a couple of my lenses are old manual lenses so no loss for me here.

Any idea how long it took in the past for these adaptors to become available?

duartix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,589
Re: No problems

leandrod wrote:

pavinder wrote:

I understand that things like image

Olympus does support image stabilisation for legacy lenses in their
Four Thirds bodies.
Mineiro

The OP was talking about stabilization for legacy glass on the G1 which is strange because the G1 DOES NOT HAVE a stabilized sensor!
--
Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
leandrod Contributing Member • Posts: 792
As I said

duartix wrote:

leandrod wrote:

Olympus does support image stabilisation for legacy lenses in their
Four Thirds bodies.

The OP was talking about stabilization for legacy glass on the G1
which is strange because the G1 DOES NOT HAVE a stabilized sensor!

That is why I mentioned Olympus.

-- hide signature --

Mineiro

rschofield Regular Member • Posts: 351

pavinder wrote:

to 4/3) lenses to a G1 body? I understand that things like image
but given that I usually shoot in fully manual mode, this isn't so
important.

Stephen Gandy at http://www.CameraQuest.com has manufactured adapters that allow various SLR lenses to be mounted on different camera bodies. He has 4/3 adapters for Olympus, Nikon, Pentax, etc. but I don't see any for Canon lenses.

I'm sure he will make available µ4/3 adapters but whether for your Canon lenses or not I cannot predict.

You might try dropping him a message (though he's at Photokina right now).

-- hide signature --

rschofield wrote:

Stephen Gandy at http://www.CameraQuest.com has manufactured adapters that
allow various SLR lenses to be mounted on different camera bodies.
He has 4/3 adapters for Olympus, Nikon, Pentax, etc. but I don't see
any for Canon lenses.

I'm sure he will make available µ4/3 adapters but whether for your
Canon lenses or not I cannot predict.

You might try dropping him a message (though he's at Photokina right
now).

Shall do. Thanks for the tip.

Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,390

The adapters Steve Gandy sells are sourced from Cirrus.

The µ43 mount should be adaptable to an even greater range of manual focus lenses than the 4/3 system lens mount due to the shorter register and lack of a swinging mirror. You should be able to fit an arbitrary mount adapter -> 4/3 mount onto the 4/3-> µ43 mount immediately and use any number of Nikon, Olympus OM, Leica R, Contax/Zeiss, etc lenses on the G1.

However, there are no adapters made for Canon EF lenses. They're fundamentally incompatible as there is no mechanical aperture control.

I only recently saw somewhere a mount adaptation for Canon FD series lenses ... but it's rather more than just a mount adapter. It requires you dismantle the Canon FD mount from the lens, remove some of the mechanical bits that get in the way, and replace the mount with a 4/3 compatible bayonet mount. I imagine it would work to use them if you did that.

Godfrey

rschofield wrote:

pavinder wrote:

to 4/3) lenses to a G1 body? I understand that things like image
but given that I usually shoot in fully manual mode, this isn't so
important.

Stephen Gandy at http://www.CameraQuest.com has manufactured adapters that
allow various SLR lenses to be mounted on different camera bodies.
He has 4/3 adapters for Olympus, Nikon, Pentax, etc. but I don't see
any for Canon lenses.

I'm sure he will make available µ4/3 adapters but whether for your
Canon lenses or not I cannot predict.

Seems they're coming in all shapes and sizes...

Just stumbled across this...

http://photofan.jp/camera/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5605&forum=2&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&start=0

Check the images on the 7th post.
No idea of cost or availability - anyone able to get info?

Diane B Forum Pro • Posts: 20,672
I understand that there will be no EF adaptors......

I've been told more than once that the Canon EF lenses just can't be used with an adaptor. The FD lenses (I have one left) are constructed differently and there is an FD adaptor--however Godfre pointed out some issues with it---and--the FD and EF lenses, as I said, are quite different. So--we Canon folks are out of luck.

However---I wouldn't use my Canon lenses anyhow. My smallest is my 50 f/1.4--I love the lens, but--the 14-45 is no larger. What I really want is a fast 'standard'--so I'll wait for the 20 f/1.7 (i would have to use my 28 f/1.8 to get similar on the G1--there is an Oly 25 that many seem to love and are using with an adaptor). I understand not wanting to build a new lens system--I have a lot of Canon mount lenses. However--for me, the 14-45 is exactly the range I use the most (28-90mm) so the addition of the 20 f/1.7 would probably do it for me or quite closely. Still--I am going to buy the 45-200 since the lens covers a very wide range--though both lenses are a good bit slower than most of mine.

What it comes down to for me is that if I have to resort to large lenses (Canon or otherwise) I might as well stick with my small 400D--or even my 5D. I have all the lenses I need--including a terrific macro, a T/S, an ultrawide and a number of fast primes plus zooms covering 12-200. So--the initial excitement for me was the size and weight of my G9 with very good IQ, the ability to shoot lower available light, but other options have surfaced. I may choose to buy in the end at least one alternative lens and an adaptor, but I will be very careful to keep the size/weight balanced (small) and the lens reasonably fast. For now--the 14-45 (kit lens) and one additional lens will see me through until the 20 is available I think.

But--I do understand your frustration with not wanting to add a whole new system. I resisted buying the camera LOL--but dled and processed 9 RAWs, printed several, then handled the camera--and decided to take a chance. I don't think I"m about to give up my 5D, but I do also think that I will shoot a lot more than I initially thought with the G1.

Diane
--
Diane B
http://www.pbase.com/picnic/galleries

Diane B's gear list:Diane B's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Apple iPad Pro
digitalintrigue Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: FD adapter exists

Rayqual has a Canon FD adapter that is apparently shipping. This is for µ4/3 only, a direct adapter. It won't work on regular 4/3.

Full list of G1 lens adapter options:

http://doiop.com/kbm4h1

thanks...

Thanks for the replies.

Diane, thanks for your discussion and recommendations. Given the compactness of the G1 body I agree it does seem to defeat the point if I then connect large heavy lenses.

Originally, having seen the prices of the body and lenses it seemed a huge investment, but I now see that there are special deals available for buying the body and lenses together, which somewhat eases the hit.

And regarding the adaptors, without an EF I'd have to buy new lenses anyway.

The new lenses due this year seem promising, so I may wait just a little longer....

Ronaldhogenboom Senior Member • Posts: 1,142

You can already get a Leica M to micro 4/3rds adapter.

Adapters for other mounts are hotly discussed among people who like to use older cameras, for example the older manual focus Canon FD mount, Pentax, etc. etc. Several pictures have surfaced, raken with a G1 and all sorts of weird old lenses, for example the legendary Canon 50mm f0,95.

If EOS glass will work I don't know... as a Nikon user I know that 'G' lenses won't work because there is no aperture ring. Lenses with ring will work.

Metering will work with older lenses, auto focus obviously will not. But manual focus in the G1 works better than with any camera I have ever used.

The way I see it, the G1 won't replace my Nikon F or Leica M systems, and there is still a 2x crop factor (making a 50mm a 100mm). But it sure is nice to be able to use my other stuff on the G1. No, I don't have one yet, but when the HD video version comes out, I'll be first in line.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Defined as someone who makes no money with photography, but also as someone who takes no cr*p from people who do.

http://www.lookupinwonder.nl

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads