The new 5d is amazing (and comments on AF complaints)

Started Sep 17, 2008 | Discussions
endus Contributing Member • Posts: 864
The new 5d is amazing (and comments on AF complaints)

So Im looking through this forum on the day that the camera I have been waiting for for years now...the camera that so many of us have been waiting for for years now...is released and every topic starter is a troll saying that the camera is garbage and how they're switching to Nikon. Well, I just wanted to start one topic saying how AMAZING this camera is going to be for so many of us.

It seems like a lot of people are looking for this camera to be something it's not, and was never intended to be, and so are whining now that they are let down. Let's get something straight though: for those of us who shoot mostly architecture, landscapes, models, etc. this camera is going to be amazing. The image quality...remember IQ? that thing that people who actually use their cameras as opposed to spec slobbering and forum posturing care about...will be insane. The high ISO performance looks to be off the charts. Full frame is the only way to go. 21MP: Finally I can get prints of my digital stuff as large as I am getting out of my Nikon 5000 film scanner. Better viewfinder...ohhhhh yesssssss. And all of this, apparently, at a bargain price. Incredible.

I even agree that HD video is a ridiculous feature to include in an SLR but for what I shoot (abandoned buildings) it's actually great. I just bought an LX3 to start capturing some short movies of friends and mishaps getting in to places, and now my SLR can do it. Again, I realize this is not something that almost anyone else needs, but for me it's great.

In any case, I also just wanted to comment on AF. People are complaining about the lack of an upgraded AF system, and I am really not getting why. If you're shooting sports, this isn't the camera you should be buying anyway. My 20D's focusing system has been giving me excellent, sharp prints for many years now. If you're not getting the same, guess what? It's user error...sorry to tell you. I shoot almost exclusively in low light. Could the AF system be better? Sure, I guess if they could find a way to make it focus in even lower light, but if you've actually used an AF body in low light for any amount of time, you know the tricks to get around the problem.

Of course...there's always manual focus too...I know it's madness to even suggest doing something manually...but you might be surprised at the results. Us XXd users will also have the option of a split prism focusing screen. Taystee.

So, I don't mean this as a post to slobber Canon or be a fanboy, I'm just saying that for what I do, the type of shots I take, this camera appears to be exactly what I wanted. Not only that but it is an order of magnitude better than the Nikons, not that it really matters.

As long as the reviews and samples keep looking good, I will be getting one as soon as I possibly can. I've waited a LONG time to upgrade my 20D, and this is one bad mama of a camera.

GOOD JOB CANON.

To the trolls: go out and take some pictures and stop raining on the parade the rest of us are having. Please.
--
D e s o l a t e | M e t r o p o l i s
http://www.desolatemetropolis.com

woffles Contributing Member • Posts: 964
Re: The new 5d is amazing (and comments on AF complaints)

Shoot a night wedding and reception and then come back and post again about the autofocus. It's almost an insult to users that they didn't improve it.

Hugo1234 Regular Member • Posts: 140
If it suits you, thats great.

But just as you feel compelled to express how happy you are with the camera, others feel compelled to express their displease.

No long live Canon, no good job Canon, but rather long live freedom of expression.

DRG Veteran Member • Posts: 5,217

woffles wrote:

Shoot a night wedding and reception and then come back and post again
about the autofocus. It's almost an insult to users that they didn't
improve it.

They did. Same sensor but now driven by improved algorithms (including detection of light source by color temperature and flicker).

Earthlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,208

woffles wrote:

improve it.

So you know for a fact that they did NOTHING to improve the AF?

Earthlight

-- hide signature --

Mostly harmless

upnorthfar Regular Member • Posts: 492

From a birders point of view this is the perfect landscape companion. There are other better options for my birding and wildlife, ie. 50D. Generally I don't understand how features should be more important than image quality. Speed is important, but 5D is not the speed series. Nikon is making more of a one camera solution. I prefer different types of cameras, sort of different digital films since I won't do with one camera body anyway.

OP endus Contributing Member • Posts: 864

woffles wrote:

improve it.

Done...with my 20D and 580EX. It was fine. It definitely missed a couple times but overall it was fine.

-- hide signature --

upnorthfar Regular Member • Posts: 492

You should have 1D3 for that.

woffles wrote:

improve it.
--

wolfpuppies3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,747
Concur all

you said and then some. I also believe the video feature to be useless for me personally but know it will appeal to some. I have a video camera and rarely use it. Prefer stills, thank you, and it's really hard to hang video clips on a wall to admire or to sell.

I started shopping for a replacement for my own 20D a year and a half ago and quickly narrowed the choice to the 5D as I believed the itterations of 30D, 40D, and now the 50D didn't quite make it for me. Purchased a 1DMIII and dearly love it for it's ruggedness and speed for sports and fast moving wildlife but will absolutely pick up the 5DMII when it is proven and available. I covet the near medium format pixel count in a body that my ten Canon lenses will fit.

To the "Going to Nikon" trolls out there, “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. …….Abraham Lincoln
--
Photography at the speed of sound.

David_C Contributing Member • Posts: 931
My understanding is the 5D2 is to be trageted at.....

wedding photographers.

If that is the case, why didn't Canon include dual memory card slots. Say cf/sd.

To me that would have been a no-brainer.

Dave

Matt Cham Veteran Member • Posts: 4,120
Who is this camera designed for?

endus wrote:

Let's get something straight though: for
those of us who shoot mostly architecture, landscapes, models, etc.
this camera is going to be amazing.

I even agree that HD video is a ridiculous feature to include in an
SLR but for what I shoot.

A naysayer would say:
"It sounds like the camera is not designed for you either.
Therein lies the paradox."

A fanboy would say:
"If you don't need video, just don't use it."

I say:
"Buy it if you want it, keep walking if you don't."

-- hide signature --

Matt Cham

My Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/mattcham/

Matt Cham's gear list:Matt Cham's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +15 more
bgbs Veteran Member • Posts: 3,195

There is more to the AMAZING IQ than sensor. Like you said, 5D in its current state will only produce AMAZING IQ on a tripod shooting landscape or architecture. For the rest of the applications people are switching to Nikon unfortunately

Jose Gil Senior Member • Posts: 1,128
I'd rather pay $600 more and get better AF

To me, 9 point cross-type was a given (as it's in the 40D and 50D), and would have been adequate.

Finding out it's the same AF system I currently have in my 5D makes me want to wait for a 5D III, save up for a 1Ds III (or IV if it's announced), or see if Canon announces another FF camera as rumored.

I'm very impressed with the high ISO, and the HD movie stuff looks intriguing for stock footage to me. It's just that I've found the AF on the 5D to be frustrating when shooting weddings / sports, so I may have to pass on the 5D II.

I am NOT going to Nikon as I've got too much glass invested in Canon.

JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 7,999
Agreed, for non-action, it will rule.

Yes, for portrait, landscape, studio, etc, it should be the new king.

I was just hoping (selfishly) that the 5DII would be three cameras in one - a FF masterpiece, a DIY crop camera (21mp/1.6/1.6 = 8.2mp), and a sports/action camera. Well, I got 2 out of three. Unfortunately I want the 1D AF system. So now I have to look at used 1D II's. Which isn't such a bad thing, now is it?

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +5 more
Not sure I understand your point

Matt Cham wrote:

endus wrote:

Let's get something straight though: for
those of us who shoot mostly architecture, landscapes, models, etc.
this camera is going to be amazing.

I even agree that HD video is a ridiculous feature to include in an
SLR but for what I shoot.

A naysayer would say:
"It sounds like the camera is not designed for you either.
Therein lies the paradox."

A fanboy would say:
"If you don't need video, just don't use it."

I say:
"Buy it if you want it, keep walking if you don't."

-- hide signature --

Matt Cham

My Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/mattcham/

The video component is irrelevant. If the camera were going to cost 4 grand I would say, yea, that is a seriously bad move because it's a feature that, in all honesty, has no place in an SLR. However, lets pretend the video isn't in the camera: it's still an incredible deal for what you get.

-- hide signature --

Gabor Esperon Regular Member • Posts: 159

I understand this camera purpose and judging by the specs it's going to offer great IQ and low noise... I would say a "normal" upgrade to the original 5D.... what happens is that the camera it self feels unbalanced specs wise.... I think a lot of people (including me) were expecting and/or hoping for a 18/16mp FF version of the 50D. I particularly feel that it would have had a lot better acceptance than the current 5D MkII.

but that's just my opinion anyways

wizel New Member • Posts: 17
Re: I'd rather pay $600 more and get better AF

Not sure I understand. When you said the AF for the 40D & 50D was a given, you mean the 5DII doesn't have the same AF, or that you expected a better system?
--
http://fotofallo.blogspot.com/

wizel New Member • Posts: 17

What the 5DII doesn't have that the 50D has? (Not talking about flash, but IQ).
--
http://fotofallo.blogspot.com/

JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 7,999
quite possibly the stupidest post i've seen in a while

bgbs wrote:

Like you said, 5D in
its current state will only produce AMAZING IQ on a tripod shooting
landscape or architecture.

"only". LOL. fool.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +5 more
iso 25,600

bgbs wrote:

There is more to the AMAZING IQ than sensor. Like you said, 5D in
its current state will only produce AMAZING IQ on a tripod shooting
landscape or architecture. For the rest of the applications people
are switching to Nikon unfortunately

No idea what you're talking about here.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts: