I Love The Canon 5DII

Started Sep 17, 2008 | Discussions
Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,202
Re: I Love The Canon 5DII

It looks like the a900 from sony is the real competitor for now and the way i look at it, the sony is in alot of area's superior to canon's offering. Add good german glass and you're set!

Let's face it, the current offerings of sony and canon will not lure away much of nikonians.

Toermalijn
Re: Cool specs on the 5D MKII but

let's not forget that there is ALWAYS a switch between the leading edge in technology between the two brands. canon has it nnow, for the canon photographers, but sony has a strong competitor! Nikon could as well take over the lead again in a few months, it has always been like this. Yoy've got the lead till the next release of the competition, simple as that!

Is it wise to sell expensive nikon equipment for canon stuff, i don't think so since most glass is better. The 24mm 1.4 looks nice but let's see how it stacks up against the 21mp... it might well be that the 24mm 1.4 performs on 21mp the same as a normal 24mm on 12mp.

point2 Contributing Member • Posts: 684
Noise is a technological challenge

Allow me to just say that we should not underestimate the role of technical advances in dealing with the noise issue. Let me cite two examples. First, clearly the pixel size of the D3 is considerably SMALLER than the original 2.7MP D1, which was launced back in 1999. But the D3's high ISO performance is way way better. Second, over in the Canon camp, the high ISO performance of the FF 1Ds is universally known to be very bad, despite its 11MP resolution. D3 with 12MP has again way way better low light performance.

My point is: engineers are still learning ways to get better low light performance from DSLRs. Therefore, while 24MP cams today may not match the D3 in low light, I suspect it may not be very long before the technology catches up.

I've heard some comment that all they need for the next 10-20 years is a D3/D700. I am not so sure...

My 2 cents.

sabesh
sabesh Senior Member • Posts: 1,649

mjt wrote:
Sheesh. MP arent the answer. Nikon has the advantage as
far as glass goes - and the glass has a lot more to offer in
the final exposure than MP - please consider the superior
resolving power of Nikkor lenses.

Just curious. Do you have a link to a where a comparison is made between equivalent Canon and Nikon lenses? (from a unbiased source, of course).

Thx,
--
Sabesh
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sabesh/

sabesh's gear list:sabesh's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a7R III Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +10 more
Mik_Rin Regular Member • Posts: 435
I´m not so sure

Image quality may be what counts for many of us but I see a lot of sales pitch promoting features on the markII that will guide it into many hands. If the IQ is good all the better, but I think it will sell regardless.
--
My blog http://stock-photo.blogspot.com

Rumpis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,089
Re: Noise is a technological challenge

Well, I understand technologies. But if we consider approx the same generation sensor with smaller pixels will have inherently more noise than sensor with larger pixels.

D3 is very good camera now. It allows me to shoot ISO 1600 and even 3200 without big problems. D2X was much more limited in this. Sure future cameras will be better although we do not know when some limits set by laws of physics will be reached.

point2 wrote:

Allow me to just say that we should not underestimate the role of
technical advances in dealing with the noise issue. Let me cite two
examples. First, clearly the pixel size of the D3 is considerably
SMALLER than the original 2.7MP D1, which was launced back in 1999.
But the D3's high ISO performance is way way better. Second, over in
the Canon camp, the high ISO performance of the FF 1Ds is universally
known to be very bad, despite its 11MP resolution. D3 with 12MP has
again way way better low light performance.

My point is: engineers are still learning ways to get better low
light performance from DSLRs. Therefore, while 24MP cams today may
not match the D3 in low light, I suspect it may not be very long
before the technology catches up.

I've heard some comment that all they need for the next 10-20 years
is a D3/D700. I am not so sure...

My 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Rumpis

http://foto.pudele.com/ - Low intensity blog about photography, Nikon and some other stuff interesting to me. Just for fun. In Latvian.

Adam Filipowicz Regular Member • Posts: 385

a 1TB hard drive should be able to hold 50,000 - 20mb Raw files

so you buy 2 new 1tb drives every year, when use the 2nd drive as a backup
and keep it stored in a safe location.

get yourself a Sata Dock
http://www.getusb.info/sata-dock-station-turns-bare-hhd-into-usb-drive/

that way you can swap drives very quickly
if you need to get access to files on another drive.

spending $300 a year on safe storage isnt alot
and it really isnt complicated
--
View my gallery here http://www.filipowicz.ca/favphotos/
Canon 40D
Canon EF 70-200 L USM 2.8 non IS
Canon EF 50mm 1.4
Canon 500D 77mm filter
Lensbaby 3G

Adam Filipowicz's gear list:Adam Filipowicz's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Bernard Languillier Veteran Member • Posts: 4,672
Well...

PixelDave wrote:

Why wait until November?

Because they can since the 5DII will not go on sales until late November?

Now that Sony and Canon have put they cards on the table first, it leaves a few more weeks for Nikon to adjust the price point and to tune the marketing messages...

Besides, if the new Nikon is really an MX medium format offering, they would for sure want to have a clear picture of the MF market, and that will be available by the end of September.

Cheers,
Bernard

Daemeon Veteran Member • Posts: 3,132
Just wait and see. ;) n/t
-- hide signature --

--The artist formerly known as The Krakken

OP Hans Giersberg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,951
From Thom's Web Site...

I'm thinking that sometime around early November you might want to come back to that thought and see if you still agree with yourself ; )

Thom's latest web site update suggests there might be a pro camera announcement in November. His words - "(any Nikon pre-Christmas surprise announcement this year is likely to be pro-level in nature; check back in November ; )." That still leaves us guessing about what he meant above. Hopefully it means "don't worry - come November, the net is going to be buzzing over the latest Nikon announcement, and nobody will remember the 5DII."

-- hide signature --

I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own

Web Site - http://www.hgiersberg.com/

Randy Khayman Senior Member • Posts: 1,377
And on what grounds do you say that?

I do not see how the 5D2 can even compete with D700, let alone the D3 or the 1D3 as an all rounded camera.

I also cannot see how the 5D2 can compete with the 1Ds3 in terms of durability. How so just an announcement makes all these great machines obsolete? Base on YOUR preference?

Last I checked, art directors and magazines are still happy to receive image files from a lowly D200 or the 5D. Until they are no longer accepted, then perhaps we can tag the big "O" word on them.

Looking at the way you view your perspective, your handle totally fits you like a glove

-- hide signature --

Everybody brings joy to this room; some by entering, some by leaving.

Fred Ferkel Contributing Member • Posts: 855
Love is a big word

If I had an Aston Martin, I might love it but for a camera, I could only muster a bit of platonic affection.

OP Hans Giersberg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,951
It's A Rhetorical Technique To Make A Point

I'm a little amused by how many people have apparently read nothing more than the title to this thread. You can't judge a book by its cover, and you can't judge a thread by it's title (at least not always).

Saying I love the 5DII isn't an endorsment of it. Far from it. Early talk on samples is pretty dismal, and the Canon forum is engaged in a hate fest over it. I said I loved it because it heightens competition in the market place, which is actually great for Nikonians. A 21 MP FX camera for $2699 establishes a new standard. Regardless of how good a camera the 5DII turns out to be, it has set new expectations for what a high MP full frame camera should cost. We all complain about the cost of our equipment - well, believe it or not, the new Canon will help drive costs lower. Now you've gotta "LOVE" that By the way, it's true that Sony came out with something similar, but they are currently still a much smaller player in the market, so their A900 doesn't have nearly the same impact as the Canon does.

-- hide signature --

I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own

Web Site - http://www.hgiersberg.com/

Randy Khayman Senior Member • Posts: 1,377
Re: Hey Pix, nice to see you back with a new Personality!!

Yamil R. Sued wrote:

That's what this game is all about.

It is a game!! We all win!!

Or loses, depending on the perspective. There is a different between paying extra for features you need and saving money on features you do not.

-- hide signature --

Everybody brings joy to this room; some by entering, some by leaving.

thomas2279 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,876

me 2 full hd with contrast AF,21mp for hi-res but 2 sraw modes if you don't really need it but in other areas like build, AF, etc lacking compared to D700.

May get one for my Canon lenses later next year when the price comes down a bit.
--

My Pictures & Web Site: http://www.dltp.co.uk

Lindsayhunter Senior Member • Posts: 1,142
Dude

I'm ALL for competition

It's good for ME!
--
George with the (big) rack

rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 25,981
date Re: ok Michel

M Lammerse wrote:

okay petrus,

No, it isn't correct. The actual date I mean.
If I was Thom and I would not know anything, I would keep silent also
afterall he is not working for Nikon rumors or that other
site...something with Ken

Michel

Oooops, it's Nov 8th, I got it wrong.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11435304@N04
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus
(Mark Twain)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Toermalijn

They can be found on the web. If they are trustworthy, i dunno, that's up to you.

But there are quite some ranges where nikon and canon have the same kind of lens and not unusual the nikon gets the thumps up against the canon lens. Canon has some lenses that nikon doesn't have though. There is still leica and leitz. I personally am not impressed with canon lenses.

I personally would go for leica, zeiss and top end nikon lenses, nothing to switch over for to canon.

As i said earlier, the 5d-II is only as new or good as the next new toy.

let's see how the canon new lens stacks up against leica and zeiss 24 mm lenses.

I know some photographers that use only the best lenses of a specific brand, so they are using top nikon lenses, leica and zeiss.

Does that leave any room for canon, i don't think so, personally.

As usual, use what you like, if you like canon, who am i to disagree. But on a personal bases, i don't see a need to switch to another camp.

If any, i would probably go for leica or zeiss instead of canon.

Toermalijn
Re: It's A Rhetorical Technique To Make A Point

Sorry, but most people are not in the ballpark of the 5d-II, so any nikon equivalent won't turn alot of people. Only some pro's will benefit.

Toermalijn
Re: I´m not so sure

Image quality is paramount! Sharpness and especially DR is most important for making good or great pictures.

Thus i have seen of the 5d-II, i am really not that much impressed. I guess nikon rased the bar very highly with the d3 and d700. What Nikon has to do is concentrate a bit more on good lenses.

That is necessarry anyway for a 24 mp camera from nikon, alot of glass won't cut the mosterd, as will with canon lenses. Only their best will hold against 21mp.

But i understand it is not full 21mp, but also interpolated. That may take some pressure of the quality of the glass.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads