Arrrrgh! 5D has skew/jello also

Started Sep 17, 2008 | Discussions
asterox101 Regular Member • Posts: 230
Re: Rolling shutter is well over 100 years old

are there technical ways to minimize it aside from pacing of camera movement? in other words, does higher framerate reduce the problem, etc?

joebloe wrote:
Rolling shutter appears in both still and motion picture photography,
and is easy to work around if you know how to use a camera. (Which of
course most people don't and don't care to learn.)

Wayne Bass wrote:

Just got an side email from someone in the know that the 5D can't get
around the skew problem.

ApplePi Regular Member • Posts: 183
Re: Does Wayne Bass work for RED?

Phil Askey wrote:

It does look that way.

Then how about banning him right now. We don't need someone spreading around disinformation.

dalen7 Regular Member • Posts: 222
Re: Rolling shutter is well over 100 years old

I hear what your saying...but lets be honest - all the talk of 'evolution' and what-not has someone like myself wanting that stage of evolution.

In short, Im an artist/producer...the tool needs to work for me and fit my personality/workflow...not me trying to bend myself to the tool.

The latter is how things have been throughout various phases and places in the digital art world. Only recently is technology opening up to 'free the mind' from figuring out how to work around the technological kinks.

I have seen it in print as well as video worlds...having to figure out work around and tricks...and then comes a fix which everyone goes, 'of course it naturally works this way'. But before that it was, 'oh its impossible.'

Red truly seems to be working in the same line of thought that I have presented...which is making the tool for the artist.

I dont work for red, nor do I own a single red product.

The fact is their camera wont be out until end of next year (from how I understand it.)...and by that time, who knows what Canon/Sony will release.

If any direct competition is feared, it would seem it would be from Sony.
In honesty they have the leg up in video compared to Canon.

Canon only recently got somewhat a foot in the door due to their XL1 line a few years back. By know means does that compete with the higher end video/cinema cameras.

In the short of it we have what is called the present moment of reality:
Do you want this type of feature now?

Does it work as Phil suggested without the scew? (Would love to see his footage of the canon vs. d-90)
If so, then this camera is for you.

If not, then you may well be tempted by the Sony...IF (big if) you dont already own canon glass. Of course the A900 would not make you switch otherwise.

The interesting bit is when Red will release their camera and allow your canon lenses on it.

Things are getting interesting.

I will say this, the release of this camera with the lower AF specs, etc. compared to the A900 proves my point (at least to myself) that Sony, Canon, Nikon are in it together.

I have always pointed out that Sony provides video chips to canon for their cameras from how I understand it...and Sony provides NIkon their chips (which begs the question why they cant learn from Nikon about noise reduction after all this time.)

Reason being is because Canon, Nikon, & Sony all have products to fill gaps between each other...nothing ever directly competes. Thats why you have comments about odd features that are not updated or added to a new camera which seems obvious.

Think about Sonys lower end dslr line...they have 500 cameras, about the same price, with a gadget added or taken away here and there.

So if you believe this is a war between 3 companies...think again.

Is Red the real deal or another layer in the system, as it were? Who knows...I will say that it looks promising - and I wont lie, I am very interested in their products.

(Was interested in the scarlet, but now curious as to what this dslr killer will do.)

Peace

dAlen

joebloe wrote:
Rolling shutter appears in both still and motion picture photography,
and is easy to work around if you know how to use a camera. (Which of
course most people don't and don't care to learn.)

Wayne Bass wrote:

Just got an side email from someone in the know that the 5D can't get
around the skew problem.

-- hide signature --

sony alpha 100 * SAL 18-70mm

booggerg Senior Member • Posts: 1,378
Red = hype

So far red is 1 for 1. They've put out one product after numerous delays. Let's see if the Scarlet and this DSLR comes to fruition.

OP Wayne Bass New Member • Posts: 11

Sounds like I touched a nerve. I came on dpreview because I wanted to find out why my d90 was so bad with the skew problem.

I'm desperately looking for a large sensor camera I can use for both my still work and video work without carrying around lots of gear.

If the 5D really has no skew then I'm in!

-- hide signature --

Wayne Bass - Photographer/Cinematographer

booggerg Senior Member • Posts: 1,378
Wow dumb Red fanbois

They get all excited and cocky when their leader compares a hypothetical device against one that has been officially announced.

It is pretty obvious even from the paltry video samples that we've seen that the 5D is MUCH MUCH better than the D90 when it comes to rolling shutter.. all CMOS imaging devices out on the market right now are prone to rolling shutter. As long as the 5D performs on par to my HV30 in the amount of skew, then I'll be satisfied.

dalen7 Regular Member • Posts: 222
Re: Wow dumb Red fanbois

No doubt they will deliver...but by the time its released, not sure what lead they will have.

I suppose it will be a lot like the windows vs. mac osx debate.

The artistic feel vs. whatever you want to call windows. (the standard I suppose.)

Peace

dAlen

booggerg wrote:

They get all excited and cocky when their leader compares a
hypothetical device against one that has been officially announced.

-- hide signature --

sony alpha 100 * SAL 18-70mm

Michael Ma Contributing Member • Posts: 539

Although it looks like RED is/was doing some novel things, I'd say buying RED at the moment would be a risk because it looks like Canon can definitely make they disappear with the 5D that was announced today.

They are definitely very small time. And some of the things on their website are downright unprofessional.

-If you look at their website, it says copyright 1999-2008, but on Wikipedia, it says it was founded in 2005.
-The fact that you have to download their videos through BitTorrent.

-"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude." Having character is one thing, but when spending 10's of thousands of dollars on equipment and lenses, I'm not looking for character. I'm looking for professional fit and finish. And some kind of a reassurance that my warranty is going to be good in the future.

Looking at the product pictures, it sure looks you'll be carrying a lot more gear than you'd be doing with the 5D Mark II.

Will the RED at least be better for video? We can only rely on a head to head comparison for that info.

Wayne Bass wrote:

Sounds like I touched a nerve. I came on dpreview because I wanted to
find out why my d90 was so bad with the skew problem.

I'm desperately looking for a large sensor camera I can use for both
my still work and video work without carrying around lots of gear.

If the 5D really has no skew then I'm in!

Michael Ma's gear list:Michael Ma's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +19 more
ChadVeno Regular Member • Posts: 190
Re: Arrrrgh! 5D has skew/jello also

Phil Askey wrote:

Erm I've panned it. It's not a phonecam.

hehe what i was trying to say is there asking to much from the camera

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads