D90 Dragon

Started Sep 16, 2008 | Discussions
cmvsm Veteran Member • Posts: 4,717
D90 Dragon

I see these guys from time to time. He was posing for my first outing with some D90 video, so thought I'd capture him. Their story is interesting. These lizards are not indigenous to South Florida, as they hitch hiked here from some islands back in the 60's. Since that time, they've managed to migrate 75-100 miles from the Miami area (where they originally arrived) to the West Palm area. Quite a feat for such small guys, but I'm sure they hitch hiked a lot while in Florida. They do eat the regular sized lizards as they are 5-6 times the size.

This was taken with the 18-105VR, and I believe it is a 100% crop. Its all JPEG. I wish I was able to take a look at the NEF.

Tianium Veteran Member • Posts: 4,280
Re: D90 Dragon

WOW, Nice capture. Great detail for a 100% crop.

Cheers Darin

garyking Veteran Member • Posts: 4,083
Seriously good...

I thought you were in Maryland?
gk
--
'I'm not as smart today as I will be tomorrow.'

OP cmvsm Veteran Member • Posts: 4,717
Re: Seriously good...

I was in Maryland up until about 4 years ago Gary. My company transferred me back down to Florida. I'm originally from here in Ft. Lauderdale.

Glad you liked the shot! I was pretty impressed myself with the 'kit' lens.

By the way, this shot was taken at 105mm at f/5.6

minhay Regular Member • Posts: 313

Great shot - what a cutie!
--
Amanda
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minhay/

Graeme Field Senior Member • Posts: 1,761
colourful shot..

and a good looking dragon. Graeme in Oz
--

I've always loved taking pictures. Other interests incl motor bike...suzuki C90 cruiser, pushbike riding (just to keep fit after retiring),make things such as kitchens, picture frames,wood turning and other things out of timber (my forte when teaching).

David Chin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,670
WOW - look at that pose! ...

That's a nice capture - any idea what species it is?

I've linked up your image at http://www.dpnotes.com/nikon/d90/samples.php - hope you don't remove the photo from this thread.

One question, what ISO did you use?

-- hide signature --
OrlandoRealtor Senior Member • Posts: 1,253
Re: WOW - look at that pose! ...

Great Shot, Every time I try to take a lizard it runs away. How close were you?
--
Nikon D60 18-55vr & 55-200vr
SB400
Casio Z750

David Chin wrote:

That's a nice capture - any idea what species it is?

I've linked up your image at
http://www.dpnotes.com/nikon/d90/samples.php - hope you don't remove
the photo from this thread.

One question, what ISO did you use?

Not a problem David. ISO was 200

OrlandoRealtor wrote:

Great Shot, Every time I try to take a lizard it runs away. How close
were you?

It's funny. This is the only one of these guys that I've seen in my area, and he lives under the concrete water meter in the ground. He's not afraid of us for the most part, and he comes out from time to time and 'poses'. I was probably about 5 feet away when I took this, but I can't remember exactly. I was surprised that he stayed for so long.

Supr X
Supr X Veteran Member • Posts: 4,956
You got the 90, "c" . . . sweet!

Nice shot too!
How are you finding shooting the 90? Like it a lot?
--
David~

. . . shoot like there's no film in the thing!

Re: You got the 90, "c" . . . sweet!

Supr X wrote:

Nice shot too!

Yeah, its very similar to the D80 size, which I prefer. The size was the one factor weighing in heavily on my decision from the D300. Also, for some reason I was really bugged about the Live View feature. Not that I will be using it much, but if I or my wife uses it, I wanted it to perform like a typical P&S, as I think it should. I made another thread on it, but the D90 is actually more advanced than the D300 in this regard. 2nd generation thing I suppose.

Other than that, its been great. The kit lens isn't half bad either. The reach is just about perfect to walk around with and the sharpness is fantastic. Although this is my first plastic mount on a lens, and I would definitely prefer metal.

The movie feature works better than I anticipated for fast kids. As long as you stay away from the general 'no no's' of taking videos, just like you would with any other video cam, everything is fine. Those of course being, no fast panning and limiting the amount of zoom while shooting.

Its all good Dave. How you liking yours?

Supr X
Supr X Veteran Member • Posts: 4,956
"D90 Captures Dragon"

cmvsm wrote:

Supr X wrote:

Nice shot too!

. . . . [edit]
The movie feature works better than I anticipated for fast kids. As
long as you stay away from the general 'no no's' of taking videos,
just like you would with any other video cam, everything is fine.
Those of course being, no fast panning and limiting the amount of
zoom while shooting.

Its all good Dave. How you liking yours?

Wow, well, i love it, but it is for so many significantly advanced operating features(that will take me a while to learn!) coming from the simpler D40x that have been my main focus as yet. Shooting is a dream, the kit lens AF, sharpness and zoom feel are wonderful. -I get torn with spending what little weekday free time i have between learning about the camera's controls and wanting to go out and shoot with it, and as a consequence haven't done enough of either!
Glad you went for the 90 for your own reasons, it's been a great step up for me.
-Look forward to more 'posed' and un-posed shots from you!
--
David~

. . . shoot like there's no film in the thing!

bassgal71 Contributing Member • Posts: 963

He sure is a cute little bugger!! Wish we had those guys running around here. I could have lots of fun taking pics of them.

Thanks for posting!

Sarah

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads