24L Mk2 & 35L Mk2

Started Sep 8, 2008 | Discussions
Icoholic Forum Member • Posts: 86
24L Mk2 & 35L Mk2

A rep around here let it slip that the 24L and 35L are both being redone. We can expect Mark II versions in the next little while.

For whatever it's worth.....

genotypewriter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,846
24L MkII makes sense actually...

Icoholic wrote:

A rep around here let it slip that the 24L and 35L are both being
redone. We can expect Mark II versions in the next little while.

I've talked about am update quite a bit here and only a month or two ago people here said that it's not going to happen because it's a niche lens that does its job...

But now with the new (and increased) trend of high MP sensors and Canon's lack of good wides, it might make sense to update the 24L... let's just hope it's still a f/1.4 at least... unlike the 50 1L "update"

GTW
--
http://www.flickr.com/genotypewriter

dsecrieru Regular Member • Posts: 220
Re: 24L Mk2 & 35L Mk2

Of course they are. I just bought the 35L a couple of months ago. Go figure!

D.

Jamie H. Senior Member • Posts: 2,793
24L II would be exciting...

To my knowledge, this is the only 24mm F1.4 lens for 35mm period. The original was a hit, but an improved version would really be a boon to Canon shooters. Lets just hope they dont go crazy with the price.

Icoholic wrote:

A rep around here let it slip that the 24L and 35L are both being
redone. We can expect Mark II versions in the next little while.

-- hide signature --

Amateurs worry about sharpness
Professionals worry about sales
Photographers worry about light

http://archive.jmhphoto.net

salosd Senior Member • Posts: 1,405

What for? I own both and they are both excellent, don't we need soemthing better than this like 400/F4 IS or 200-400 F4 IS?

frobertv Contributing Member • Posts: 538

me too, I even traded my 50L 1.2 in for the 35L and now they come up with a newer version ....?!?!?!

But I am better of really since I am in the Philippines for 5 weeks and would not have liked my 5D as much as I do without the excelent 35L. I think the 35L can not be improved that much but the 24L does need some extra work. I think even with a new 35L the current one will be a desired lens for a long while. Looking at my files I do not see a big reason to spent even 50 euros for an update. I would like the 50L to be updated.....

I brought a 85L as well but I hardly use it. I am so thrilled about the 35L I just love to shoot with it. Next time I will go with just a 5D and a 35L.

Henrik Herranen Senior Member • Posts: 1,732
Re: 24L II would be exciting...

Jamie H. wrote:

To my knowledge, this is the only 24mm F1.4 lens for 35mm period.
The original was a hit, but an improved version would really be a
boon to Canon shooters. Lets just hope they dont go crazy with the
price.

Yes, why not. I shoot with the 24/1.4L and it's a great lens, but as everything, it could always be a bit better. I guess vignetting when wide open and chromatic aberration are the two things that could be improved. Flare resistance and contrast are quite good even wide open, as is resolution - center resolution at least. And AF on the current lens works like a charm.

Chromatic aberration could be reduced with a better optical design while less vignetting probably would require larger glass (remember Sigma's 50/1.4). Implementing both would probably mean a much more expensive lens than our current 24/1.4L.

But, please, please-please pretty please, don't do a 50/1.2L: let it auto focus properly at all distances and apertures.

Kind regards,

• Henrik

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society
My obligatory gallery: http://www.iki.fi/leopold/Photo/Galleria/

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
LensWizard
LensWizard Senior Member • Posts: 1,598
Already have a terrific 400f/4 Lens

Why are you asking for another 400f/4 Lens when there is one already in the line up that is stellar and stout? (EF400mm f/4 DO IS USM) Also have a 400 f/2.8 for your f/4 if needed..

rtw

LensWizard's gear list:LensWizard's gear list
Leica SL2 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Leica SL (Typ 601) +29 more
crobinso_canada Senior Member • Posts: 1,343
agree

Canon needs to fix the motor on the 50mm f/1.4 first before changing primes that are already fine. What gets me is that every new SLR is always sporting the 50mm 1.4 in the promo shots. Yet it is never fixed. STrange.

chris

SuperSport Senior Member • Posts: 1,212
Re: Already have a terrific 400f/4 Lens

The 400mm f/4 DO is $5,500 that could be why.

LensWizard wrote:

Why are you asking for another 400f/4 Lens when there is one already
in the line up that is stellar and stout? (EF400mm f/4 DO IS USM)
Also have a 400 f/2.8 for your f/4 if needed..

rtw
--

LensWizard

As I stated in a previous line above, canon already "HAS" a 400mm f/4 Prime that is just a stellar performer. $5500.00 is the price. That is correct.

Leica SL2 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Leica SL (Typ 601) +29 more
Ok then...

crobinso_canada wrote:

Canon needs to fix the motor on the 50mm f/1.4 first before changing
primes that are already fine. What gets me is that every new SLR is
always sporting the 50mm 1.4 in the promo shots. Yet it is never
fixed. STrange.

Why wait for a motor "fix" of the lowergrade 50 1.4 when there's a better 50L? :\

GTW
--

Breach Regular Member • Posts: 262

This rumor seems to dominate the scene, and I never owned/used either, but I'm really confused -- mostly everyone's already quite happy with the existing quality from these Mark III or not, and I'm part of a not-so-small vox populi group who consider 100-400 and 24-70 as better candidates for an upgrade...?

No they're not good at all... here's why

salosd wrote:

What for? I own both and they are both excellent, don't we need
soemthing better than this like 400/F4 IS or 200-400 F4 IS?

I must say that's quite a narrow way of thinking... Canon needs sharp wides and both the 24L and 35L are barely as good as some EF-S zooms.

The 24L's corner sharpness is non-existent even on an APS-C compared to what is possible. And the CAs? Worse than the 18-55 IS kit lens's around the same apertures.

The 35L's barely as good as the 17-55 2.8 IS at @ 35mm when both are at 2.8.

Is this the performance we're supposed to get from "pro" primes that people collect, parade, take vanity pictures of and proudly claim to own? Is this what we need when 21MPs are going to be the norm? No... Absolutely not!

So why would you even think that they're fine, being "excellent" aisde? I think it's because you have bought them and now you're insecure about an update that'll render your expensive collection obsolete and good for a museum of old tech.

GTW
--

Ben_Egbert Forum Pro • Posts: 20,228
sub 24 first

I have the 35L amd have rented a 24L in the past, I would be happy with either for my landscapes on a 1DS-mk3. But there are no good Canon prime options between 14 and 24.

-- hide signature --
 Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +1 more
Stunna Regular Member • Posts: 142
Update??

I thought the 24-70L and the 70-200/2.8IS were going to be updated by Photokina... what's the maximum number of lenses that Canon has ever updated at one time?

Is the 24L & 35L updates by Photokina or next year?

SuperSport Senior Member • Posts: 1,212

So, you don't see the obvious (glaring) problem. Here is a hint, $5500!

LensWizard wrote:

As I stated in a previous line above, canon already "HAS" a 400mm f/4
Prime that is just a stellar performer. $5500.00 is the price. That
is correct.
--

Seaclam Senior Member • Posts: 1,703

From what I have read, people generally stay away from that lens do to it's lack of contrast compared to standard lens design. This is the one thing I consistantly read about this lens is contrast suffers.

-- hide signature --

I have a love affair with light.

LensWizard

Seaclam what you just passed along is hearsay. Now if you own the lens like i do then you can pass that along. Why pass along what you heard or read? You need to own one then pass judgement. I love mine and would not trade it for any other 400mm..

LensWizard

No glaring problem what so ever actually. You pay for what you get. Awesome lens..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads