Questions for nikon users

Started Sep 8, 2008 | Discussions
Ikari120378 Forum Member • Posts: 76
Questions for nikon users

First, I am a canon user, not a pro, just an enthusiast in photography. Right now I'm interested in some of nikon's offerings like D300, or maybe the future D90. But I'm a little bit worried about some issues about the pc software bundles. With canon the softwares are running fine, they give 'em all for free, fully working versions.

Have you ever had problems with it? Or it's just another software you can replace completely? How about the issues of encrypted white balance that can't be used with another softwares, etc.?

And about ergonomics issue, I've heard so much about better ergonomics of nikon, whether it is in menu structure, button placements, or body grip. Do you feel it completely true, or just because you used to using it for years?

I really hope for answers from non-fanboys, though it maybe hard to find here in its own forum.
Thanks for your future responses.

chuxter Forum Pro • Posts: 21,710
Re: Questions for nikon users

Ikari120378 wrote:

First, I am a canon user, not a pro, just an enthusiast in
photography. Right now I'm interested in some of nikon's offerings
like D300, or maybe the future D90. But I'm a little bit worried
about some issues about the pc software bundles. With canon the
softwares are running fine, they give 'em all for free, fully working
versions.

With either the D300 or D90 (I think) you will get several programs...I think View NX and Nikon Transfer. I don't use either, so can't comment. My D300 came with Capture NX for free, but I think Nikon has stopped that with current shipments. They might do it again with the D90? I also don't use Capture NX...even though it has several good capabilities, it's interface is terrible. All this is written by NIK Software. Although their headquarters is in San Diego, their software is wierd, like it was written by somebody from LA!

Have you ever had problems with it? Or it's just another software you
can replace completely?

No, never had any problems, but I never used it much.

How about the issues of encrypted white
balance that can't be used with another softwares, etc.?

Not an issue. Urban legend. It was just Nikon and Adobe playing hardball.

And about ergonomics issue, I've heard so much about better
ergonomics of nikon, whether it is in menu structure, button
placements, or body grip.

I personally like the way the bigger Nikons feel. I have big hands and all the small cameras don't work for me. BUT, your hands are different, so YOU need to go hold all the candidates!

Do you feel it completely true, or just because you used to using it for years?

Well, I personally don't like most menu structures that I've used. The D300 is terrible...even VERY experienced users have trouble finding obscure controls! But that's partly due to it being so complex...and partly due to it being designed by idiots. When Nikon adds new features, they just add something somewhere w/o giving much serious thought to how users will react. Again, YOU should go see how you react to the menu design of any camera you are seriously considering.

I really hope for answers from non-fanboys, though it maybe hard to
find here in its own forum.

No, you are confusing us with the Canon Talk forum.

-- hide signature --

Charlie Davis
Nikon 5700, Sony R1, Nikon D300
HomePage: http://www.1derful.info
Bridge Blog: http://www.here-ugo.com/BridgeBlog/
'Experience: Discovering that a claw hammer will bend nails.
Epiphany: Discovering that a claw hammer is two tools...'

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
Fabish New Member • Posts: 5

Just a different take on Capture NX. I think it's a brilliant program. I am fairly new to digitial photography, so I learned both Capture and Photoshop Elements at about the same time. Capture had an easy learning curve, PSE a much more difficult learning curve.

I doubt if it will be available free. On the other hand, the money I spent on my copy was the best I've spent on software, IMHO.

OP Ikari120378 Forum Member • Posts: 76

chuxter wrote:

Well, I personally don't like most menu structures that I've used.
The D300 is terrible...even VERY experienced users have trouble
finding obscure controls! But that's partly due to it being so
complex...and partly due to it being designed by idiots. When Nikon
adds new features, they just add something somewhere w/o giving much
serious thought to how users will react. Again, YOU should go see how
you react to the menu design of any camera you are seriously
considering.

I suppose the things hidden in the menu are non crucial, that the main photographic controls are planted outside on the body...?

Beside that, I agree that I have to see myself how I react to such menu. I don't know about anyone else, but I think canon's menu is quite simple and quickly understandable.

About ergonomics, I've tried canon 300D and 450D, and they are terrible, it's completely different and comfortable when I hold a d40x.

And since canon series xxD and nikon is larger than the xxxD, I wonder if the difference between nikon's and canon's is still noticeable.

chuxter Forum Pro • Posts: 21,710

Fabish wrote:

Just a different take on Capture NX. I think it's a brilliant
program. I am fairly new to digitial photography, so I learned both
Capture and Photoshop Elements at about the same time. Capture had an
easy learning curve, PSE a much more difficult learning curve.

You are prolly right. I already understood PSE when I took on CNX. I found it had some "brilliant" parts, but the human interface was hard to understand. Others have expressed the same opinion. In contrast, I had little difficulty adapting to LR, which is, IMO, a brilliant program. Always try the 30-day free versions before spending $$$.

-- hide signature --

Charlie Davis
Nikon 5700, Sony R1, Nikon D300
HomePage: http://www.1derful.info
Bridge Blog: http://www.here-ugo.com/BridgeBlog/
'Experience: Discovering that a claw hammer will bend nails.
Epiphany: Discovering that a claw hammer is two tools...'

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads