Err maybe in all the excitement they released the wrong camera announcement

pppp Senior Member • Posts: 1,350
Re: G10 Announced

I didin't find the press release...
--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ppl2a/

hifly Contributing Member • Posts: 714

Are Canon aware of this new model? It could be the product of some rogue employees.

mark finn Contributing Member • Posts: 538

Those stats look realistic (and disappointing). Perhaps Pop Photo jumped the gun?
--
Please check out my photos at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drmark/

Arby26 New Member • Posts: 14

If the price is accurate, I hope the lens is faster than f/2.8 to compete with the LX3. So far this hardly makes the G9 look last-year.

MaxFX Contributing Member • Posts: 561

14.7 MP and the specs sound correct but I still believe it will be G11, not G10. Let's wait for the official announcement.
--
MaxFX

Koosla Senior Member • Posts: 1,105
They (apparently) got something wrong

They say: “The G10, along with the other compact cameras announced today, is powered by the Digic 4 processor.”

But all of the compacts announced today (so far, at least) still use DIGIC III.

anthony kohn Contributing Member • Posts: 840
Re: G10 (and a few others too) Announced

Popphoto is also announcing the 990 IS and 880 IS, the former being a 14.7MP, the latter a 10MP camera, as well as the SX1S, a 20x P&S with articulated screen and hotshoe.

http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/5498/
--
http://kohn.id.au/photos

Niras New Member • Posts: 12
Specs not that better

Except for the screen (higher resolution) what improvements does this imaginary camera offer? The zoom range is clearly worse than G9.

anthony kohn Contributing Member • Posts: 840
Re: Specs not that better

I actually think the zoom range is better. I am considering a G9/G10/LX3 type camera as a walkaround, and prefer the wider start. The LX3 would be nice with an extra 20mm or so on the long end (for my interests) but that 24mm is sweet.
--
http://kohn.id.au/photos

Niras New Member • Posts: 12

Sorry, I overlooked the wideangle.

I alsp have thougts about getting a G9 +LX3. And it that case, a 28 mm wideangle instead of a 210 mm tele wouldn't do anything good.

oluv Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

i am interested in the max aperture. so far it reminds me a bit of the good old G3-G6 lens with a bit of added wideangle. if they really manage to build it 2.0 - 3.0 this would be a killer lens. i am a bit afraid because of the pixel-count.

oluv's gear list:oluv's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Jote Regular Member • Posts: 183

140mm? That blows, it's like having only 4x zoom on my G7. I still think it's not legit info.

Jote's gear list:Jote's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
hey farmer farmer Junior Member • Posts: 25

140mm is cool. I'd rather go faster and only 2.5x starting at 24 or 28mm than long.

Jote Regular Member • Posts: 183

hey farmer farmer wrote:

140mm is cool. I'd rather go faster and only 2.5x starting at 24 or
28mm than long.

I often shoot close to 180mm. They could've at least keep 6x factor (168mm)

Jote's gear list:Jote's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
R N Senior Member • Posts: 1,046
Here is pop photo text:

I'm posting here because popPhoto will no doubt be pulling these pages pronto.

"
Canon Powershot G10 Announced

Canon’s newest flagship compact packs 14.7 megapixels, a 28-140mm 5x zoom, a 3 inch 460K pixel LCD and DPP-supported RAW into a familiar, but not identical body as its predecessor.

By Jack Howard
August 26, 2008

Canon has today announced the Canon Powershot G10 (SRP: $499), a 14.7 megapixel luxe-class compact digital camera as the replacement to the popular G9. The G10, along with the other compact cameras announced today, is powered by the Digic 4 processor.

Key upgrades and features of the G10 include:

-True 5x zoom wide angle lens (28-140mm equivalent.)
--Face Detection can recognize profiles.

-14.7 megapixel capture

-RAW format files editable in Canon Digital Photo Pro (instead of ZoomBrowser/Imagebrowser like the G9)

-ISO up to 1600 with binned pixels lo-rez 3200 scene setting

-ISO dial now wraps around mode dial.

-Exposure Comp has own dial to left of the hotshoe (where the ISO dial was on the G9.)

The Canon Powershot G10 will be available in October 2008. Stay tuned to PopPhoto.com for a full test of this cool new compact camera.

The full press release follows on page 2.

Canon also introduced a new DSLR today, the EOS 50D. and several other compact digicams and printers.
"

-- hide signature --

==========================================
"
Canon announces SD990IS, SD880IS, A2000IS, A1000IS, SX1IS, SX110IS

The six new digicams may have their differences, but be it an Elph or a 20X EVF, they’ve all optical image stabilization and Digic 4 processors on the inside.

By Jack Howard
August 26, 2008

Canon has announced several new cameras today, including the high end 14.7 megapixel Powershot SD990IS (SRP: $399) and 10 megapixel SD880IS (SRP: $349) Elphs, the 10 megapixel A2000IS (SRP: $249), the 4.5x zoom A1000IS (SRP: $199) and E1 (a ‘tween-oriented variant of the A1000IS), the 9 megapixel SX110 (SRP: $299) with a 36-360mm 10x zoom, and the SX1S ($449), a 10 megapixel 20x 28-560mm EVF with an articulated LCD and EX-compatible hotshoe.

Full press releases follow on the next pages.

Canon has also announced a new SLR, theCanon EOS 50D, and a new flagship Powershot, the G10, and some printers and all-in-ones.
"
--
===========================================

The "full press release" pages were not there, at least when I looked.

They got digic4 wrong on the pocket cams that actually were announced today. The speed of that 28-140 G10 lens is not mentioned, but G10 does look interesting. As does that SX1IS, with articulated LCD (evidently the S5IS successor.)

I was hoping for an articulated LCD on the G or A series, but it looks like those are gone for good.

No mention of hdmi output (although the 50D has it).

The camera I'd be most interested in - a larger sensor "GSi" (as rumored) is not there. Maybe next spring...

paulobiz Contributing Member • Posts: 799

28mm and more megapixels, that is what I was expecting. Normally, Canon can manage to increase the megapixel count and still keep the noise in check, like they did from the G7 to the G9.

I am expecting the G10 to deliver good results at ISO 400, like the G9 (good results for me mean good A4 prints). I suppose the lens will be f/2.8, will have to wait and see the full specs.

In terms of ergonomics, it sounds great to have analogic-style dials for exposure compensation, and the ISO around the mode dial. Also, the RAW files are compatible with DPP, which is a bonus for those who already have a Canon DSLR and use DPP in their RAW workflow.

OP 100meters Forum Member • Posts: 62
-- hide signature --

So It's not me, and this isn't anywhere else yet?

hey farmer farmer Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Here is pop photo text:

exposure compensation is already excellent on G9 with a press of a button and wheel adjustment. Couldn't really be better as you adjust with the thumb of the hand you hold the camera with - ideal when composing with the screen.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads