Tenba Messenger for 17-55 and 70-200 vr?

Started Aug 25, 2008 | Discussions
ShelleyD Contributing Member • Posts: 795
Tenba Messenger for 17-55 and 70-200 vr?

Does anyone have and use the Tenba Messenger for the D80 , 17-55 and 70-200?

I am still looking for a bag with easy access which will hold my D80 with 70-200 attached along with my 17-55 for when I am out and about. Ideally I would like a waistpack but haven't found one that is big enough without being enormous as I am a small woman.

I am now considering a messenger style bag and wondered if any had tried the Tenba. If so, does the camera with the 70-200 fit vertically or would it need to be horizontal? It looks like the camera insert is the same for both the small and large Messenger bag so wondered about which size was best. In terms of the specs, it would seem that the large should hold this setup vertically but I am confused by the insert which is common to both size bags.

Still open to other suggestions. We have a smaller selection of Crumplers in the UK. I've noticed that several people love the 6 or 7 million dollar bags but we can't get these here.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff Kott Senior Member • Posts: 1,164
Re: Tenba Messenger for 17-55 and 70-200 vr?

I just got the small Tenba messenger bag.

I'm not sure whether a camera with the 70-200 will fit, but I'll check it tonight and let you know.
--
Jeff Kott

OP ShelleyD Contributing Member • Posts: 795

Thanks, Jeff.

Hi Shelley,

I just got this bag last week. I was surprised that it all fits.

Here's a photo of the bag with my D200 with 70-200 attached. As you can see, the camera is fully resting on the bottom of the lens as the side cushion panels which normally support the camera with a smaller lens are too far below the camera with the end of the 70-200 resting on the bottom of the camera bag.

You can't see it, but my 17-55 is also in the bag. Here's a photo of the camera in the bag with the top zipper open (the top zipper is my favorite feature of this bag).

And here's the bag all closed up with the camera and 70-200 attached and 17-55 in the bag also.

I hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Kott

Excellent!

Thanks for taking the trouble to take and post photos of the camera and lenses in your small Tenba messenger bag. I wouldn't have thought from the specs that the lenses would fit easily in the small Messenger bag. You have made it really easy for me now to decide on this bag. I like the easy front access and your photos show clealy how useful that front zipper is. I would have gone for the large bag if it wasn't for your photos. I will now buy the small bag as it is much more suited to my needs.

Thanks, again, Jeff. I don't live anywhere near where they sell these bags so will need to order it online.

You're brill!

Large vs. small

You're welcome Shelley.

FYI, I was able to compare the large and small bags in the local Calumet store. I was surprised, but both size bags had the same photo equipment insert (I guess the main difference is that the larger bag will also fit a 17" laptop computer and the smaller bag only a 15" laptop). I looked at the Tenba site where they sell the insert separately (so you could put it in any messenger bag) and it appears there is only one size insert.

I wanted a black bag and they didn't have one in the store, so I had one shipped from the warehouse. Oddly, the insert that came with the shipped bag was configured differently from the one that was in both of the large and small bags in the store.

The exterior dimensions of the insert that came with the shipped bag were the same, but the interior dividers were different. It looked like it was configured more for having a camera and lens sitting in the bag horizontally as the main dividers in the center were shorter with a cut out for a lens on one of them. I prefer the taller dividers in the center, so I took the bag to the store and they swapped inserts for me. I have no clue as to why the insert that came with the shipped bag was different than all of the other inserts in the six bags I saw in the store and the photo of the insert on the Tenba website. I'm just letting you know in case your photo insert doesn't look exactly like this one, this one will fit in the small bag:

http://www.tenba.com/pc-965-12-photo-insert-for-all-messenger-bags.aspx

Anyway, I'm very happy with the bag and think you will enjoy it. It is nice to carry your equipment in something that doesn't look like a camera bag.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Kott

Re: Large vs. small

That's really helpful, Jeff.

I've ordered the small bag today and will wait to see which inserts I get! I hope they are the taller ones to fit that 70-200 vertically!

You've been great. Thanks again.

Louis Peeples Regular Member • Posts: 178

Nice info on the small Tenba bag. I have a D300 and 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200. Any idea if I can all three? Also, what about with lens hoods reversed?

-- hide signature --

Lou P.

Louis Peeples Regular Member • Posts: 178

One other question... I use the Thinktank UD bags. Anyone know which one is closest to the small Tenba?

-- hide signature --

Louis Peeples wrote:

Nice info on the small Tenba bag. I have a D300 and 14-24, 24-70 and
70-200. Any idea if I can all three? Also, what about with lens hoods
reversed?

Hi Lou,

Last night I had the D200 with 70-200 attached in the center slot and the 17-55 easily fit in the slot on one side with a minor adjustment to the padding in the middle of that slot. I had the lens hoods on the lenses reversed.

The 17-55 is just a little smaller than the 24-70 so there should be plenty of room for the 24-70 and there is also room for one more fairly large lens on the other side of the center slot. These are three fairly wide lenses and it might be tight. So I'd say two out of three, no problem and the third may be able to be accommodated but it will be tight. Sorry I can't check it out for you since I don't have two of the lenses that you asked about.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Kott

Hi Lou,

Here's the bag with my 70-200 (middle); 17-55 (right); and 28-70 (left) - all with lens hoods reversed. I took the 70-200 off of the camera so you could see the interior of the bag better:

I had to adjust the interior pockets a little, but it is a close but easy fit. I looked at the size spec.'s for the different lenses. The 17-55, 24-70 and 28-70 are all between 3.3-3.5 inches wide (without hoods) whereas the 14-24 is 3.9 inches wide, so you would need another .5 inches for your three lenses vs. what I have shown, maybe slightly more with the hoods. You might be able to get all three in, but it would be a tight fit. I would suggest that if you're interested in this bag, order it from some place that you can return it too if it's too tight a fit for your three lenses.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Kott

Tigerotor77W Regular Member • Posts: 161

Hey Jeff, sorry to bring up an old thread. I'm actually looking into the Tenba, but I'm not sure how big it is on-person. Is there any way for you to get some shots of you wearing the bag?

The dimensions are here:

http://www.tenba.com/products/Messenger-Small-Bag.aspx#specifications

I think the best thing is to cut a sheet of paper to the dimensions of the bag.

Another thing is that if I was going to buy a bag now, I would also consider the Lowepro Classified series:

http://www.lowepro.com/classifiedseries

These are similarly styled to the Tenba messenger, but come in a variety of sizes. Just liket the Tenba, the Lowepro Classiified bags have the top zip that I am a big fan of.

If you go through the site and browse the pictures in the pages for the individual bags, they have photos of the bags on models' shoulders.
--
Jeff Kott

forgot

I forgot to say that the reason I might prefer the Lowepro classifed is that they come with the Lowepro all weather cover which could come in handy if you're out and get caught in a downpour.

The Tenba doesn't have that feature. It seems water resistant, but I don't think it would keep your stuff dry in a downpour.
--
Jeff Kott

revdhd Regular Member • Posts: 147

Jeff Kott wrote:

I had to adjust the interior pockets a little, but it is a close but
easy fit. I looked at the size spec.'s for the different lenses. The
17-55, 24-70 and 28-70 are all between 3.3-3.5 inches wide (without
hoods) whereas the 14-24 is 3.9 inches wide, so you would need
another .5 inches for your three lenses vs. what I have shown, maybe
slightly more with the hoods. You might be able to get all three in,
but it would be a tight fit. I would suggest that if you're
interested in this bag, order it from some place that you can return
it too if it's too tight a fit for your three lenses.

I have found that I can comfortably fit any two of the three above lenses in my Tenba insert at any one time. The three are together just a bit too wide to ride in the insert at one time (for my peace of mind). When I'm going to carry my "big" glass (77mm filter size), I normally mount one on the body and carry another in one of the slots. Then I'll take one or two smaller size lenses in the third slot.

Carrying all three big lenses is a pretty heavy load for me. A couple of light primes makes the bag a bit lighter. And I like the ability to pull out a fast prime from time to time.

-- hide signature --

God bless.
Doug

Tigerotor77W Regular Member • Posts: 161

Thanks for the reply, Jeff! I did pull the trigger and go for a small Chocolate.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads