Best settings for E-520

Started Aug 25, 2008 | Discussions
OP alexisgreat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,459
Re: Hi Alex.....

Thanks, John! Actually I use it mostly outdoors under harsh lighting conditions. For indoors, my settings are similar to yours (thanks for showing them btw, Im going to set up everything like what you stated for my indoor shots.) If you have time, can you compare them for outdoor shots? It would be interesting to see how they turn out.

Also, do you ever use iso 800 or 1600? I find 1600 a bit too noisy for my taste, but I will sometimes use 800 as I dont find it very objectionable. Im wondering if increasing in camera sharpening will increase iso noise (but maybe reducing contrast will decrease it back down).

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more
LJohnK Senior Member • Posts: 1,118
Re: Alex..I have limited

....use with the E520 at ISO 800 & 1600 in low light because until recently I owned an E510, which I found worked much better in low light....problem I had with my E520 default settings was not noise but color shift, it could easily be corrected pp, but since I had an e510, I would normally use it for low light/high ISO...haven't tried much with E30 yet but I have noted no banding.

Here is a E510 vs 520 ISO 800 sample:

E510

E520 (my defaults)

E520 (pp WB correction)

Cheers;
--
John K
(Oly E-30, E-520 & rest of gear in profile if interested)

I like those examples! Did you find the amount of noise at 800 and 1600 the same in each camera (510/520/e30)? I wonder whats causing the color shift in the e520-- did you try the camera's own default settings and notice the same effect? Also, did you notice banding with both the 510 and 520 at iso 800 and 1600 but not in the e30? I wonder if the banding can be seen in 8 x 10 prints. I havent seen any so far.

Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more

Hi Alex:

Full size at ISO 800, I found chroma noise in the E520 worse, but then again, the color rendering was much brigther in general....the plus was that the E520 showed better fine detail at ISO 800 and once WB was adjusted the chroma noise full size (8.5"x11") was not a big deal and....didn't really get banding of any signifiicance till very much darker than those samples and only ocassionally at ISO 800.

I did try shotting also with the E520 default WB, the color was better in low light, but still required correction.

Here one with banding E510 @1600

Similiar lighting at 800, no banding:

Cheers
--
John K

Wolfe_boy Contributing Member • Posts: 511
Re: Low Key + 0.7EV

Man, I HATE to be the guy wh ostarts debates with year-old posts, but here I go...

Low Key doesn't do anything special to the image, it just tells the camera to underexpose. The same goes with High Key, it simply overexposes.

Going with a Low Key +0.7 is just telling your camera to underexpose, but wait a second, don't underexpose so much! If, for example, Low Key was a 1-Stop underexposure, and you dial back in +0.7 EC, you might have just left the camera on Natural & dialed in a -0.3 EC.

Thanks, John, those are some nice images! So is it fair to say less banding with the 520 at iso 800 and 1600 but more chroma noise than the 510? Was there significant banding with the 520 even at iso 1600? Also, how much of this noise and banding makes it into printing at 8 x 10 with the 520 at iso 800 and 1600? Im currently in the market to purchase an inkjet and I would like to know what to expect printing fullsize images at 7.5 x 10 at iso 800 and 1600... that would be 360ppi. Thanks!

Re: In my experience, the E520 didn't have

any significant banding in most shots at ISO 800, but ISO 1600 was pretty common if a lot of black is present.....never really printed any with banding greater than 5"x7" and at that size thay looked fine to me....again not portraits, but landscape, statues, etc.

Cheers
--
John K

Re: In my experience, the E520 didn't have

Thanks, John. How did the iso 800 shots look at 8 x 10? Im thinking of shooting landscapes at that speed and print it at 7.5 x 10
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

Re: I have only

printed ISO 800 8.5" x 11" from the E510 and to me they looked fine.....have not really printed any of the low light ISO 800 E520 that large, but as noted before,with a littlee PP(contrast & WB) the on screen is so similiar, I'm sure they would look the same printed, maybe even a little sharper.

I say this because when looking at the samples I posted at full size/pixel level, at high ISO I found that the low noise filter setting on the E510 is more aggressive than the E520.

Let us know how they turn out !

Cheers;
--
John K

I thought so at first too, but then I read a couple of reviews and user reports that stated that low key does something to the tone curve (contrast?) that expands the dynamic range somewhat (but also lowers exposure), and if you apply low key + 0.7ev you get rid of the underexposure but keep the better dynamic range.
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

update

These settings are being recommended for the e-620 too, and Ive already heard that Vivid increases sharpness. Dont know if that works with the e-520, I will have to test it out.

At any rate, Low Key + 0.7ev has given me clean blacks and low noise up to 800-- both indoors and outdoors, it also almost completely eliminates highlight clipping for me, even in bright sunlight, with the e-520. Even iso 1600 is acceptable. I really like this setting and have made it my default under all circumstances.

amalric
amalric Forum Pro • Posts: 10,839

Yes, these people are amazingly superstitious, not to say peabrained

Am.
--
Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalric

montrealcanada45 Regular Member • Posts: 326

hi i keep this discussion in my files cause i just bought E-520

When you say Low key with + 0.7 is it in vivid mode ? and do you use Low gradation as well or normal ?

I took this pic but in natural mode and i think its a bit oversturated if you use vivid mode do you go also with - 1 saturation or it does not make sens ?

montrealcanada45 Regular Member • Posts: 326
Re: Best settings for E-520

here is the pic i was talking about :

Actually, what I have done is use Low Key + 0.7ev, set grad to normal and keep saturation and contrast to 0 under natural mode. I was told to try Vivid mode with Saturation -1 because this might make the image sharper, so you should try it also.

One thing I noticed about low key+ 0.7ev, it removes banding at iso800 and 1600!

oly4life Regular Member • Posts: 171

alexisgreat wrote:

Actually, what I have done is use Low Key + 0.7ev, set grad to normal
and keep saturation and contrast to 0 under natural mode. I was told
to try Vivid mode with Saturation -1 because this might make the
image sharper, so you should try it also.

A bit confused. Isn't graduation either Normal ,Low Key High Key or Auto. Is there a setting for Graduation = Low Key & Normal at the same time?

One thing I noticed about low key+ 0.7ev, it removes banding at
iso800 and 1600!

-- hide signature --

Everyone can contribute and everything can be improved

Sorry. I was thinking about one thing and writing another lol. I meant sharpness normal, or 0... although someone else told me that Vivid, with sharpness -1 also works (isnt it the same thing?) I like to keep everything else default (natural mode, sharpness, contrast, saturation, etc.) because Ive noticed that increasing any of these parameters also increases the noise at higher iso's.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads