14-24 with graduated ND filters

Started Aug 21, 2008 | Discussions
rondv Contributing Member • Posts: 585
14-24 with graduated ND filters

I shot these with a 3 stop soft edge ND Lee filter adjusting the filter in live view at the tree tops. I used a D300 with a filter adapter I made and these places are just some local areas to test the filter. I going to the mountains next week for some lanscape shots and wanted your opinions and advice. Thanks in advance!

Ron

sunsets

PhotoArtKC Senior Member • Posts: 1,585
Re: 14-24 with graduated ND filters

Curious how you kept the filter in place, or did you hand hold it over the lens?

I've tossed around the idea of engineering a bracket for my 14-24 but it would cost me more than it's worth to design and make one for myself or even a handful of them for people.

OP rondv Contributing Member • Posts: 585
Re: PhotoArtKC

PhotoArtKC wrote:

Curious how you kept the filter in place, or did you hand hold it
over the lens?

I used a bracket I made.

I've tossed around the idea of engineering a bracket for my 14-24 but
it would cost me more than it's worth to design and make one for
myself or even a handful of them for people.

Cost for bracket around $45.00.

PhotoArtKC Senior Member • Posts: 1,585
Re: PhotoArtKC

Mind posting a photo of how it looks on the lens? And what size ND filters are you using? I'm going to assume you had to go with the larger 100mm or even 130mm Cokin style filter?

Rumpis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,089
Re: PhotoArtKC

Some illustration will be welcomed.

rondv wrote:

PhotoArtKC wrote:

Curious how you kept the filter in place, or did you hand hold it
over the lens?

I used a bracket I made.

I've tossed around the idea of engineering a bracket for my 14-24 but
it would cost me more than it's worth to design and make one for
myself or even a handful of them for people.

Cost for bracket around $45.00.

-- hide signature --

Rumpis

http://foto.pudele.com/ - Low intensity blog about photography, Nikon and some other stuff interesting to me. Just for fun. In Latvian.

Barugon Veteran Member • Posts: 9,289
Re: 14-24 with graduated ND filters

rondv wrote:

I shot these with a 3 stop soft edge ND Lee filter adjusting the
filter in live view at the tree tops. I used a D300 with a filter
adapter I made and these places are just some local areas to test the
filter. I going to the mountains next week for some lanscape shots
and wanted your opinions and advice. Thanks in advance!

Ron

sunsets
http://rondv0021.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p1011222027.jpg

http://rondv0021.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p91748255.jpg

Why not just take two exposures and then layer them in Photoshop with a gradient mask?

-- hide signature --

Whoever said 'a picture is worth a thousand words' was a cheapskate.

http://www.pbase.com/dot_borg

slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,161
Re: 14-24 with graduated ND filters

dotborg wrote:

Why not just take two exposures and then layer them in Photoshop with
a gradient mask?

Surely placing a filter in front of the lens is alot easier?

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
Heywood Floyd Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: 14-24 with graduated ND filters

slimandy wrote:

Surely placing a filter in front of the lens is alot easier?

... and closer to photography than to graphics?

Barugon Veteran Member • Posts: 9,289
Re: 14-24 with graduated ND filters

slimandy wrote:

dotborg wrote:

Why not just take two exposures and then layer them in Photoshop with
a gradient mask?

Surely placing a filter in front of the lens is alot easier?

Finding and purchasing oversize filters, making a custom holder then carting around and setting up that stuff is easier than taking two exposures?

There's also the fact that you can make the gradient any shape you want.

-- hide signature --

Whoever said 'a picture is worth a thousand words' was a cheapskate.

http://www.pbase.com/dot_borg

Barugon Veteran Member • Posts: 9,289
Re: 14-24 with graduated ND filters

Heywood Floyd wrote:

slimandy wrote:

Surely placing a filter in front of the lens is alot easier?

... and closer to photography than to graphics?

So is film.

-- hide signature --

Whoever said 'a picture is worth a thousand words' was a cheapskate.

http://www.pbase.com/dot_borg

slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,161
Re: 14-24 with graduated ND filters

dotborg wrote:

Finding and purchasing oversize filters, making a custom holder then
carting around and setting up that stuff is easier than taking two
exposures?

Yes it is because after the initial effort you can use the filter with ease whenever required. Otherwise you need to PP every time you take such shots.
To be fair, I'd use a 17~35 rather than bother building a custom holder.

There's also the fact that you can make the gradient any shape you want.

Good point but I generally find my selection of Lee filters do a good job for me and I hate having to combine shots time and time again if I can help it. You also don't need to worry about anything moving between taking the first shot and the second.
Each to his own, but I'll stick with my filters.

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,161
Re: 14-24 with graduated ND filters

dotborg wrote:

... and closer to photography than to graphics?

So is film.

Not really. 'Photography' = 'drawing with light'. The principle is pretty much the same at the capture stage. One uses silver halides and RGB filters to react to light, the other uses pixels in an RGB pattern to do the same thing.

The big difference is in the processing, but even there film shots have been manipulated in the past more than most people seem to realise.

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
martinch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,054
Re: PhotoArtKC

PhotoArtKC wrote:

Mind posting a photo of how it looks on the lens? And what size ND
filters are you using? I'm going to assume you had to go with the
larger 100mm or even 130mm Cokin style filter?

Ron said he was using Lee grad filters, so I'll assume a "normal" one (as they do make some to order). Their standard ones are 100mm x 150mm.

-- hide signature --

My gallery of so-so nature photos:
http://martinch.zenfolio.com/

Heywood Floyd Forum Member • Posts: 94
question about 1st pic

Hello. What is the purpose of ND filters for still photo like on the 1st pic? I thought ND filters were basically gray and neutral, so their function is to lower the exposure value.

Thanks in advance.

slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,161
He mentioned 'graduated ND' in the title.....

....hence it would have been to balance exposure between sky and foreground.

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
OP rondv Contributing Member • Posts: 585
Re: Re: PhotoArtKC

PhotoArtKC wrote:

Mind posting a photo of how it looks on the lens? And what size ND
filters are you using? I'm going to assume you had to go with the
larger 100mm or even 130mm Cokin style filter?

The adapter slips right on and blocks side light. These are 100-150mm Lee filters.

OP rondv Contributing Member • Posts: 585
Re: dotborg

dotborg wrote:

slimandy wrote:

dotborg wrote:

Why not just take two exposures and then layer them in Photoshop with
a gradient mask?

Surely placing a filter in front of the lens is alot easier?

Finding and purchasing oversize filters, making a custom holder then
carting around and setting up that stuff is easier than taking two
exposures?

Yes, the adapter and filters weigh a couple of ounces and it take about 30 seconds to set up. Much faster to have the photo properly exposed when you download.

There's also the fact that you can make the gradient any shape you want.

-- hide signature --

Whoever said 'a picture is worth a thousand words' was a cheapskate.

http://www.pbase.com/dot_borg

OP rondv Contributing Member • Posts: 585
Re: Heywood Floyd

Heywood Floyd wrote:

Hello. What is the purpose of ND filters for still photo like on the
1st pic? I thought ND filters were basically gray and neutral, so
their function is to lower the exposure value.

Thanks in advance.

The ND filters are graduated form 3 stops to clear at about the center. If I exposed for the sky without the filter the shadows would have no detail. The valley would have been black. You can blend or use HDR for this type shot with PP work but I think the filters look more natural.

Ron

Heywood Floyd Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: Heywood Floyd

ok, thanks to both of you.

PhotoArtKC Senior Member • Posts: 1,585
Re: Re: PhotoArtKC

Ah, thanks! That's what i've been waiting to see since I got my 14-24. Is this adapter ring available through Lee or did you make it yourself?

I figured 100mm wouldn't be wide enough to cover the whole field of view with the 14-24 since the whole front element is 4" wide as it is. Any problems with vignetting?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads