Portrait C&C

Started Aug 18, 2008 | Discussions
PhotoArtKC Senior Member • Posts: 1,585
Portrait C&C

After seeing some other threads here with similar lighting styles, I decided to see if I could do something similar myself. I was going to have some other people come by but they didn't make it today so I only have one to C&C.

A friend of mine, shot with D300, 85mm F/1.4 lens @ 5.6 - 1/60th. Two lights w/ soft umbrellas slightly behind on each side angled forward. Filled from the front with ceiling bounced SB-600 w/ LumiQuest 80/20 bounce. Also used a 45" silver reflector below and slightly to the left from the front to aid filling shadows in from below.

Yehuda Katz Forum Pro • Posts: 25,916
I'm sure your friend will love this portrait.

PhotoArtKC wrote:

After seeing some other threads here with similar lighting styles, I
decided to see if I could do something similar myself. I was going to
have some other people come by but they didn't make it today so I
only have one to C&C.

A friend of mine, shot with D300, 85mm F/1.4 lens @ 5.6 - 1/60th. Two
lights w/ soft umbrellas slightly behind on each side angled forward.
Filled from the front with ceiling bounced SB-600 w/ LumiQuest 80/20
bounce. Also used a 45" silver reflector below and slightly to the
left from the front to aid filling shadows in from below.

Mike Zed Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Portrait C&C

I like it ... you didn't light it like most people would .. with a main light from the left or right front ... your lighting gives it a dramatic look ...

OP PhotoArtKC Senior Member • Posts: 1,585
Re: Portrait C&C

Thanks, I was going for a little different look to make it stand out. So often I put full on flash power from the front or front sides but this gives almost an "aura" of light around the subject.

Mike Zed wrote:

I like it ... you didn't light it like most people would .. with a
main light from the left or right front ... your lighting gives it a
dramatic look ...

Daniel Payne Senior Member • Posts: 1,343
double kicker

This double-kicker lighting setup doesn't thrill me.

As a portrait photographer I want to put light into the eyes and see the color of the eyes.

With your lighting I see blown highlights on each side of the face, plus an under-exposed face and eyes.

Dramatic, yes. Something that I would buy, no.

-- hide signature --
Cliff Watson Regular Member • Posts: 164
Re: double kicker

Interesting photo from an art point of view, but not very aesthetically pleasing. I agree with the previous post - needs some serious frontal fill for a portrait. Don’t want to see those eyes so sunken into the shadows.

OP PhotoArtKC Senior Member • Posts: 1,585
Re: double kicker

Yea, I know what you mean about the eyes are dark. I tried with more power from the front but it lost the whole shape of the face. I don't have enough room in my room at the moment to move the lights anywhere to wrap some around the face more from the sides. Which stinks, but i'm only confined to this space for 3 more weeks before I move.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads