SD14 to EOS conversion

Started Aug 7, 2008 | Discussions
Arky Regular Member • Posts: 434
SD14 to EOS conversion

Works perfectly on my EF lenses. It actually has an EF-S mount but I think some (most?) EF-S lenses protrude too much and would hit the dust protector. I don't have any IS lenses so I don't know if IS works, probably not.

This EF 85mm f/1.2 L can't be converted to SA, the rear element is too big to fit in the smaller SA mount.

My grand-daughter generously agreed to pose for some portrait samples with that lens. The first is wide open at f/1.2 for the bokeh, the second is stopped down to f/2.5 for DOF and sharpness.

For pixel-peepers, the originals direct from SPP can be found here:
http://www.pbase.com/bigflat/sd14_to_eos_conversion

I'm mostly color blind, so my apologies in advance for any annoying color cast. I processed these with auto white balance in SPP.

-Jerry

 Arky's gear list:Arky's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma DP1s Sigma SD14 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark II +14 more
lita Regular Member • Posts: 140
Re: SD14 to EOS conversion
-- hide signature --

Hi:

I don't know if I am missing something here, but is your post the original one on this thread, as I would like to know a bit more about this conversion.

Did you do it yourself: can you expand a bit on the process?

Is the autofocus working?

Are you using the Sigma contacts to link to your EOS lenses, if not how do you change the aperture?

Are you using other EF lenses, or did you do this conversion solely for the 85mm F1.2.

If this has been answered somewhere else, please be kind enough to refer me.

Thanks.

OP Arky Regular Member • Posts: 434
Re: SD14 to EOS conversion

lita wrote:

Yes, I did it myself. I installed the mount, electrical pinset and locking pin from a canon camera into the SD14.

Is the autofocus working?

Yes, AF and aperture work normally.

Are you using the Sigma contacts to link to your EOS lenses, if not
how do you change the aperture?

I replaced the Sigma pinset with one from a Canon body, and soldered its leads to the SD14 internal pin circuitry.

Are you using other EF lenses, or did you do this conversion solely
for the 85mm F1.2.

I have other EF lenses too, Canon 50mm f/1.4, 135mm f/2 L, 200mm f/1.8 L, Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX and 80- 400mm OS EX. The Canon 85mm f/1.2 L is the only one that can't be converted to SA mount on the lens.

If this has been answered somewhere else, please be kind enough to
refer me.

The compatibility between the electronics of the of the EOS and SA mount has been discussed here before. Search my history, I don't post very much, but I sometimes weigh in on these threads. As far as converting a SD14, I'm not aware of it being done before, although it has been done on the SD9.

Thanks.

 Arky's gear list:Arky's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma DP1s Sigma SD14 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark II +14 more
docmaas
docmaas Veteran Member • Posts: 7,021
Re: SD14 to EOS conversion

Congrats! Jerry. Looks like you got a canon lens lock in place. Overall looks like a very nice job. I gave up on mine after deciding the canon lenses weren't the holy grail I thought they were. I got some Zeiss glass and were I to do a conversion now that is the direction I would go but the shallow depth in front of the IR cutoff filter is a limitiation with those lenses as well unless you modify the lens.

At this point I think I am going to go the dp-1 direction and simplify.

Mike

-- hide signature --

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.

  • Ralph Waldo Emerson

OP Arky Regular Member • Posts: 434
Re: SD14 to EOS conversion

docmaas wrote:

Congrats! Jerry. Looks like you got a canon lens lock in place.
Overall looks like a very nice job. I gave up on mine after deciding
the canon lenses weren't the holy grail I thought they were. I got
some Zeiss glass and were I to do a conversion now that is the
direction I would go but the shallow depth in front of the IR cutoff
filter is a limitiation with those lenses as well unless you modify
the lens.

At this point I think I am going to go the dp-1 direction and simplify.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I did it for convenience more than anything else. Also the availability of extension tubes the ability to rent lenses like the EF tilt/shift series and other niche lenses to try out before buying.
Good luck with your DP1.
-Jerry

 Arky's gear list:Arky's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma DP1s Sigma SD14 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark II +14 more
Tom Rowland Veteran Member • Posts: 5,891
Re: SD14 to EOS conversion

Arky wrote:
SNIP

I did it for convenience more than anything else. Also the
availability of extension tubes the ability to rent lenses like the
EF tilt/shift series and other niche lenses to try out before buying.
Good luck with your DP1.

My biggest single gripe about Sigma is no ET. I have captured some great macro images using both my Canon 500/f4 and Sigma 300-800 with stacked extension tubes and my Canon bodies.

The detail is good; but not up to the standard my sd10 or sd14 get with a Sigma 150 macro.

I would love to try out tubes and the sd14 on the 300-800; it finally gives me the working distance I need to get skittish insects to fill up the FOV.

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Those who forget history are condemned to go to summer school.

Tiffles Veteran Member • Posts: 5,042
Re: SD14 to EOS conversion
 Tiffles's gear list:Tiffles's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony RX1R Nikon D700 Sigma SD10 +7 more
LUIS A GUEVARA
LUIS A GUEVARA Regular Member • Posts: 413
Re: SD14 to EOS conversion

Arky wrote:

Works perfectly on my EF lenses. It actually has an EF-S mount but I
think some (most?) EF-S lenses protrude too much and would hit the
dust protector. I don't have any IS lenses so I don't know if IS
works, probably not.

-Jerry

-- hide signature --

Oustanding work Jerry !! Many people said it couldn't be done , including myself . I am glad to have been proven wrong .

I can see that 3 of the Face Plate screws have been countersunk to mate with the existing SD14 attachment points , by using the presence of the Bayonet Lips at those positions , something that could not have been done for the other 3 due to the absence of those lips at those positions. That was very clever. Now what about the original Canon screws that can be seen in place ,are they threaded into the Body or are they Phony?

The big question is , since your Faceplate seems to be not sitting as deep as the original SA , can you Focus at Infinity?

For what is worth I am preparing a Special Milling rig that will allow me to create a precision recess in the Mirror Cage so the IR/Dust Filter will sit about an extra Millimeter Deeper , which is ,I believe , as much as you can go without having the Mirror hit the Filter, and or perforating the cage .In the case of the Leica 35mm f1.4 Summilux is all the extra clearance that it needs. Maybe that would also solve your problems. I invite you to email me directly to luis@sigmacumlaude.com to exchange some ideas and information.

Luis

http://photo.net/photos/Luis-A-Guevara
http://www.pbase.com/luis_a_guevara/galleries
http://luis-a-guevara.deviantart.com/

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LUIS+A+GUEVARA/
http://www.summiluxart.com/
http://www.sigmacumlaude.com/

luis@sigmacumlaude.com

OP Arky Regular Member • Posts: 434
Re: SD14 to EOS conversion

LUIS A GUEVARA wrote:

Thank you Luis.

I can see that 3 of the Face Plate screws have been countersunk to
mate with the existing SD14 attachment points , by using the presence
of the Bayonet Lips at those positions , something that could not
have been done for the other 3 due to the absence of those lips at
those positions. That was very clever. Now what about the original
Canon screws that can be seen in place ,are they threaded into the
Body or are they Phony?

The 4 canon screws are actually threaded into the mirror box, but the plastic isn't very thick at those places. I wouldn't trust those screws alone to solidly support a heavy lens. The 3 sigma screws, together with the stainless steel mount provide a very solid attachment. I would trust them even without the 4 canon screws.

The big question is , since your Faceplate seems to be not sitting as
deep as the original SA , can you Focus at Infinity?

I'm not sure why you think it doesn't sit as deep as the SA. The EF mount was .007" thicker than the SA mount so I shaved .007" off the front of the mirror box to keep the same registration distance. I can actually focus past infinity. When focused at infinity, the indicator on the distance scale lines up with the infinity mark the way it should. Maybe since the pins set deeper in the EOS it makes the face plate look not as deep.

For what is worth I am preparing a Special Milling rig that will
allow me to create a precision recess in the Mirror Cage so the
IR/Dust Filter will sit about an extra Millimeter Deeper , which is
,I believe , as much as you can go without having the Mirror hit the
Filter, and or perforating the cage .In the case of the Leica 35mm
f1.4 Summilux is all the extra clearance that it needs. Maybe that
would also solve your problems. I invite you to email me directly to
luis@sigmacumlaude.com to exchange some ideas and information.

I had to mill out the port side of the mirror box deeper, to allow clearance for the EOS lens contact module. The dust protector sits in its original position and doesn't interfere with any of my EF lenses so I guess I can live with it as is.
Thanks for your interest Luis.
-Jerry Boyd

 Arky's gear list:Arky's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma DP1s Sigma SD14 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark II +14 more
LUIS A GUEVARA
LUIS A GUEVARA Regular Member • Posts: 413
Re: SD14 to EOS conversion

Arky wrote:

I'm not sure why you think it doesn't sit as deep as the SA. The EF
mount was .007" thicker than the SA mount so I shaved .007" off the
front of the mirror box to keep the same registration distance. I can
actually focus past infinity. When focused at infinity, the indicator
on the distance scale lines up with the infinity mark the way it
should. Maybe since the pins set deeper in the EOS it makes the face
plate look not as deep.

It was just an impression from your photographs, It is incredible how much Serendipity worked on your favor , for example the place required for your Release Button landed right in between the 2 small push buttons on the side althewhile allowing the lens markings to line up perfectly the way they should.

This lens certainly look impressive . Is it my idea or you had to Mill the Pentaprism Housing to accommodate its large Diameter?

Again , congratulations for your achievement .Luis
--
http://photo.net/photos/Luis-A-Guevara
http://www.pbase.com/luis_a_guevara/galleries
http://luis-a-guevara.deviantart.com/

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LUIS+A+GUEVARA/
http://www.summiluxart.com/
http://www.sigmacumlaude.com/

luis@sigmacumlaude.com

Pvuong Regular Member • Posts: 335
Re: SD14 to EOS conversion

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for sharing the information to us.

I would like to modify my SD14 too!

Do you have any recommendation?

Which Canon body model should I buy and use as a conversion parts

For mount, electrical pins set also a locking pin.

Thanks again!

pvuong

 Pvuong's gear list:Pvuong's gear list
Leica Q2 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony RX1R II Sony a7R II +8 more
OP Arky Regular Member • Posts: 434
Re: SD14 to EOS conversion

LUIS A GUEVARA wrote:

Arky wrote:

I'm not sure why you think it doesn't sit as deep as the SA. The EF
mount was .007" thicker than the SA mount so I shaved .007" off the
front of the mirror box to keep the same registration distance. I can
actually focus past infinity. When focused at infinity, the indicator
on the distance scale lines up with the infinity mark the way it
should. Maybe since the pins set deeper in the EOS it makes the face
plate look not as deep.

It was just an impression from your photographs, It is incredible how
much Serendipity worked on your favor , for example the place
required for your Release Button landed right in between the 2 small
push buttons on the side althewhile allowing the lens markings to
line up perfectly the way they should.

Both of those buttons still work too. Believe me it wasn't easy to keep the functionality of the DOF preview button. I really don't know why I bothered with it so much, I rarely use it.

This lens certainly look impressive . Is it my idea or you had to
Mill the Pentaprism Housing to accommodate its large Diameter?

I did mill the front cover to allow clearance for the girth of that lens. the actual internal pentaprism/flash housing is untouched.

Again , congratulations for your achievement .Luis
--
http://photo.net/photos/Luis-A-Guevara
http://www.pbase.com/luis_a_guevara/galleries
http://luis-a-guevara.deviantart.com/

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LUIS+A+GUEVARA/
http://www.summiluxart.com/
http://www.sigmacumlaude.com/

luis@sigmacumlaude.com

 Arky's gear list:Arky's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma DP1s Sigma SD14 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark II +14 more
OP Arky Regular Member • Posts: 434
Re: SD14 to EOS conversion

Pvuong wrote:

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for sharing the information to us.

I would like to modify my SD14 too!

Do you have any recommendation?

I would be very careful if you want to try the full electrical conversion. The entire mirror box must come out of the body to access the pinset circuitry. As the mirror box comes out of the camera it disengages from the shutter and the shutter clicks into the uncocked position. Don't just try to put it back together while holding the shutter in its cocked position. I tried that and ended up with the dreaded stuck mirror syndrome. Luckily no permanent damage was done but I found out later that could have very easily stripped the gears in the mirror shutter drivetrain. The 2 sets or mirror box gears and the shutter control tabs must be timed together upon reassembly like the camshafts on a engine. I know a camera repair technician that reinstalled my mirror box but even after watching him and listening to his explanation, I don't think I would attempt to put one back together without his supervision.

Which Canon body model should I buy and use as a conversion parts
For mount, electrical pins set also a locking pin.

The parts I used came from a junkbox so I'm not really sure of their origin. The mount is an EF-S so it must have come from a DSLR, it is stainless steel. Most of the older EOS film SLRs have either a plastic or brass mount so I would stay away from those. I would imagine the pinset and locking pin are all about he same.

Thanks again!

pvuong

 Arky's gear list:Arky's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma DP1s Sigma SD14 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark II +14 more
DaSigmaGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,312
Re: SD14 to EOS conversion

Arky wrote:

LUIS A GUEVARA wrote:

Thank you Luis.

I can see that 3 of the Face Plate screws have been countersunk to
mate with the existing SD14 attachment points , by using the presence
of the Bayonet Lips at those positions , something that could not
have been done for the other 3 due to the absence of those lips at
those positions. That was very clever. Now what about the original
Canon screws that can be seen in place ,are they threaded into the
Body or are they Phony?

The 4 canon screws are actually threaded into the mirror box, but the
plastic isn't very thick at those places. I wouldn't trust those
screws alone to solidly support a heavy lens. The 3 sigma screws,
together with the stainless steel mount provide a very solid
attachment. I would trust them even without the 4 canon screws.

The big question is , since your Faceplate seems to be not sitting as
deep as the original SA , can you Focus at Infinity?

I'm not sure why you think it doesn't sit as deep as the SA. The EF
mount was .007" thicker than the SA mount so I shaved .007" off the
front of the mirror box to keep the same registration distance.

I'm not sure machining of the mirror box was necessary at all given that the EF and SA mounts both have the same registration distance (44mm).

I can
actually focus past infinity.

Maybe a consequence of the possibly unnecessary machining you did?

-- hide signature --
 DaSigmaGuy's gear list:DaSigmaGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Samsung Galaxy S7 Samsung Galaxy S9 +26 more
OP Arky Regular Member • Posts: 434
Re: SD14 to EOS conversion

DaSigmaGuy wrote:

Arky wrote:

LUIS A GUEVARA wrote:

Thank you Luis.

I can see that 3 of the Face Plate screws have been countersunk to
mate with the existing SD14 attachment points , by using the presence
of the Bayonet Lips at those positions , something that could not
have been done for the other 3 due to the absence of those lips at
those positions. That was very clever. Now what about the original
Canon screws that can be seen in place ,are they threaded into the
Body or are they Phony?

The 4 canon screws are actually threaded into the mirror box, but the
plastic isn't very thick at those places. I wouldn't trust those
screws alone to solidly support a heavy lens. The 3 sigma screws,
together with the stainless steel mount provide a very solid
attachment. I would trust them even without the 4 canon screws.

The big question is , since your Faceplate seems to be not sitting as
deep as the original SA , can you Focus at Infinity?

I'm not sure why you think it doesn't sit as deep as the SA. The EF
mount was .007" thicker than the SA mount so I shaved .007" off the
front of the mirror box to keep the same registration distance.

I'm not sure machining of the mirror box was necessary at all given
that the EF and SA mounts both have the same registration distance
(44mm).

Okay, here's a thought exercise for you Alf. The mirror box plus the thinner SA mount together measure 44mm thick. Now imagine the same mirror box with the thicker EOS mount. Is the assembly still 44mm thick?

I can
actually focus past infinity.

Maybe a consequence of the possibly unnecessary machining you did?

No, actually it's due to the fact that all modern SA and EOS lenses are designed to focus past infinity. As I previously stated, the distance scale on the lens is accurate. That's the acid test for checking registration distance.

-- hide signature --
 Arky's gear list:Arky's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma DP1s Sigma SD14 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark II +14 more
lita Regular Member • Posts: 140
What is wrong with brass?
-- hide signature --

Yes, it is quite possible that a lot of older EOS EF mounts are plated brass, but why would one stay away from those. Too hard to pierce?

Thanks.

OP Arky Regular Member • Posts: 434
Re: What is wrong with brass?

lita wrote:

No, brass is much easier to machine than stainless steel. I actually made a mount from brass and then decided it needed the extra rigidity and shear strength of steel.

 Arky's gear list:Arky's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma DP1s Sigma SD14 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark II +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads