Z1012 Aperture Settings

Started Aug 3, 2008 | Discussions
buddywoods Forum Member • Posts: 74
Z1012 Aperture Settings

On Friday I went to Aperture Priority on my Z1012 and noticed it would go up to f14.8. I zoomed out and the setting went back to f8.0, then when I zoomed back in the setting would only go up to f8.0. I turned the camera off and back on and couldn't get it to go up to f14.8 again. The same thing happened yesterday, when I first turned it on in Aperture Priority I could go up to f14.8 but once I zoomed out and zoomed back in the most I could go to was f8.0. I couldn't get it to go to f14.8 the rest of the day. Well, the same thing happened today so I had to take of picture of it with my P880. I was able to go to f14.8. I turned the camera off and back on then I was only able to go to f8.0.

What is going on with this?

Thanks,

Buddy

threean2 Contributing Member • Posts: 710
Sounds Spooky

Ghostbusters!

TheCyberKnight Regular Member • Posts: 132
Re: Z1012 Aperture Settings

Buddywoods,

I am also able to reproduce this behavior with my Z1012. It seems to be a minor firmware bug that lets the dial selector to go beyond the camera limits.

I did a shot with f14.8 to see and the camera took it. Meanwhile, it did the shot using f8.0 (which is expected). Strange but harmless.

OP buddywoods Forum Member • Posts: 74

Thanks, TheCyberKnight for testing it. I'm glad I'm not the only one that can see it goes up to f14.8. This time I took a picture with it at 14.8, when I press 1/2 way down one the shutter button it changes to f8.0 and the Exif info says f8.0. I agree it must be a bug. I guess it doesn't matter since it doesn't affect the pictures in any way.

Thanks,
Buddy

trevmar Senior Member • Posts: 2,470

I replicated the f14.8 software bug without even trying. Luckily I had another camera nearby so I could take a photo of the LCD with the F14.8 displayed on it.

I was just taking a normal picture, in A mode, and I was making sure I attenuated some reflections which were causing vertical bars on the CCD. I found that the aperture just kept on going, and going, and going...

SW2CAM Regular Member • Posts: 269

So far I've not seen this happen on my Z712is or Z1012is
--
DX3215,DX6340,DX6490,DX7590,Z7590,Z712is,Z1012is

It's not what you drive. It's how you drive it.

Normally, every single Z1012 with version 1.0 of the firmware will exhibit this behavior.

If I remember well, the simplest way to reproduce the behavior is to set the mode dial to "A" while the camera is turned off. Then, power the camera on and notice the aperture value.

It is a very minor quirk that has no impact on the camera ability to correctly capture images.

CyberKnight,

While the Z1012 IS might well take a picture when I click the shutter, the whole point of the 'Aperture preferred' mode on a camera is to set the aperture to where the photographer wishes it to be.

In this case, I wanted minimum aperture as I was having trouble with CCD streaking from bright reflections.

Surely, if I am expecting f14.8 and shutter=1/8 as shown on my display, I am entitled to have the camera behave as I expect it to?

I expect the A mode on my Kodak to work the same way it does on other prosumer cameras.

I have no desire to switch off my camera every time I wish to rotate the mode dial from Auto to "A" (which is what I did immediately before getting the display shown above)

I did email Kodak about the problem and they told me:

"Based on how you describe the problem, it sounds like the system behind the aperture priority mode is somehow faulty. On this case, we can only advise you to send the camera for service so we can have closer look on the problem and have it fixed."

After this response, I called Kodak and told them other people were having the same problem and I thought it was a firmware problem. The lady I was talking to tried it on a Z1012 and said she could only get hers to go up to f8.0. I ask her if that means mine is broken and she told me "no". Then she said again hers will only go up to f8.0. I don't think she believed me. I don't know anything else I can do. I don't want to send it for service, as they told me to do in the email. We are going on vacation in a couple of weeks and I don't want to be without it.

SW2CAM,

TheCyberKnight is correct "If I remember well, the simplest way to reproduce the behavior is to set the mode dial to "A" while the camera is turned off. Then, power the camera on and notice the aperture value."

In the morning turn you camera to "A", turn you camera on, press in on the jog dial, turn the dial and it should go up to F14.8. Do not zoom, do not turn you camera off then back on before you do the test or it will not go up to 14.8.

Buddy

Buddy,

I was using the camera in Auto, noticed CCD streaks from bright reflections, rotated the selector wheel to Aperture Preferred, and then pressed in the jog wheel to raise the Aperture (and ease down the light level on the CCD). That was when it just kept going up and up and up... It was in normal shooting, for me...

I told him to go to “A” mode first just to make simple instructions. I don’t really think it matters what mode you are in when you turn you camera on but on my camera I must go to “A” or “M” and adjust the Aperture before I zoom out or turn the camera off then back on. If I turn the camera off I have to leave it off for a long time before I can turn it back on and go to f14.8.

Buddy

trevmar,

I understand well the purpose of the "A" mode and if you look closely at the camera behavior when this "quirk" occurs, you'll see that nothing is wrong except that it lets you select an aperture setting outside the range physically supported by the device.

When selecting an aperture setting, the camera correctly chooses a suitable speed for specified f-value. In presence of the "quirk", you'll notice that beyond the f-8.0 mark, nothing changes in the speed (where it should have when going from 8.0 to 14.8).

I understand that it should not let you choose f-14.8 (since the camera doesn't really support f-values below 8.0) but this is exactly what this firmware error is.

It will probably be fixed by a firmware update.

I know, I shouldn't be saying any more about this but I went to the Z1012 IS Digital Camera User's Guide and saw this picture and couldn't resist. Look at the aperture setting. I'm still upset that I called Kodak and they acted like they didn't believe me.

sredd68 Contributing Member • Posts: 888

I have a suggestion. Why don't you guys send in the pictures of the cam @ f14?
--
Simon
The More You Shoot, The Better You See.
I'd rather look at your photos than test your camera.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/sredd68spot
http://SReddickIII.smugmug.com/

sredd68's gear list:sredd68's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-30 Pentax K-S2 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +4 more

sredd68 wrote:

I have a suggestion. Why don't you guys send in the pictures of the
cam @ f14?
--
Simon
The More You Shoot, The Better You See.
I'd rather look at your photos than test your camera.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/sredd68spot
http://SReddickIII.smugmug.com/

I have, here is their responce. He sounds as if the camera should go to f14.8 and there is a problem with the camera because after I zoom I'm not able to go to f14.8 again until I leave the camera off for a long time. After seeing the picture in their user manual with it at f14.0 maybe the camera should be going to f14.8 all the time?

"Thank you for your recent visit to the Kodak Web site and question about being unable to set the aperture of your Kodak EasyShare Z1012 IS digital camera back to f14.8 after zooming in and out.

We are concerned over your experience, and are sorry for any inconvenience or frustration this has caused you. We will do our best to help you.

Based on how you describe the problem, it sounds like the system behind the aperture priority mode is somehow faulty. On this case, we can only advise you to send the camera for service so we can have closer look on the problem and have it fixed.

We have created an option on our web site that will let you enter all the information and data about your product to get it serviced. Please go to the URL below and follow the prompts. You will get information along the way that will help you with expectations and the address where to send the product. You will also receive a reference number for tracking purposes.

http://www.kodak.com/go/itg

We are glad to be of service and are here for you if you need us in the future. If you do reply, please be sure to include any previous e-mail so we may assist you better.

Regards,

Abner O.

Kodak Information and Technical Support"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads