Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.2 pictures: flowers, portraits, glasses, etc

Started Jul 30, 2008 | Discussions
David J Heinrich Regular Member • Posts: 426
Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.2 pictures: flowers, portraits, glasses, etc

Here are my latest pictures taken with my Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.2 on my E-3. All wide open, at f/1.2:

http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/view/1558467/

I love this lens! The bokeh on it is awesome.

gwillys Senior Member • Posts: 1,502
Re: Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.2 pictures: flowers, portraits, glasses, etc

nice pics. mines been on my e1 for a few days now, since i recieved RJ's new af confirm chipped adapter. works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-confirm-MD-adapter-for-Olympus-E-510-E-3-E-410-E-420_W0QQitemZ140252607152QQihZ004QQcategoryZ30059QQcmdZViewItem

daqk Contributing Member • Posts: 626

Thank you for presenting the pictures. Mine MD50mm is always soft (less contrast) and yours are slightly better. But I had fun

OP David J Heinrich Regular Member • Posts: 426

gwillys,

Thanks. RJ e-mailed me about the new adapter, I may very well buy it. Then I could use the old adapter for my tilt/shift construct.

Although I'm not so sure how much benefit the AF focus confirm will be.

daqk,

Hmm, that's strange. The MD 50mm f1.2 is supposed to be sharper than the MC 58mm f1.2, but with bokeh not quite as good. Strange that you think yours isn't as sharp as mine. Maybe its sample variation.

I think most of the folks had better luck on 58mm. I tried E330/300/510 they all resulted same with exposure bracketing even. My MD lens only go on for special missions - indoor or not too strong light...

i have the 50 & 58. f1.2 is not good for bright/harsh light, but all you gotta do is twist the aperture ring and things change dramatically. both are very capable lenses, used with some common sense.

Jean Ulrich Brer
Jean Ulrich Brer Regular Member • Posts: 420

That shot of the people sitting at the table shows a very interesting dof rendering(though some might find it a minus, with not everyone in focus).
I suppose this fast rokkor suffers alot of flare in bright outdoor situations?

best regards,

Ulli

Jean Ulrich Brer's gear list:Jean Ulrich Brer's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH
Pedagydusz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,518
Very beautiful

It is interesting that, when looking at your pictures, considerations about noise, dynamic range, resolution, etc. become unimportant! They are just beautiful, that is all...
--
Antonio

http://ferrer.smugmug.com/

Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +3 more
Re: Very beautiful

yep, dave definitely has a handle on it.

i havent noticed a particular problem with flare, but i use lens hoods. in bright outdoor high contrast situations, at f1.2, typically you'll get halo, ca & lower contrast/softness. with most (my) cameras, shutter speed is an issue.
closed down, both lenses are very sharp, very good IQ.

so there is a learning process/curve. if someone thinks running around snapping away at 1.2 would be cool, they wont be happy. it requires purpose, thought and effort to get good images wide open, as Dave has.

these are typical results in poor good conditions for shooting w/o. out of camera jpg's, no pp, resized only. the difference in exposure is typical & not compensated for.
e1/rokkor 58 @ 1.2

and one stop down

another set - no pp
w/o

one stop down

Jean,

Yea, the shot of the group of people, I don't like that one too much. With a group of people, I prefer to have everyone in focus. Having only 2 people on the sides in focus makes the others seem unimportant.

Were it my choice, I'd have stopped down. But the aperture ring is stuck at the wide open position (I think oil on the blades). I have someplace that can fix for $70, or I may try to open up myself (I have specs that someone kindly e-mailed me).

Dave, could you tell me who you've found for repair? btw, theres a couple little springs under the bayonet that operate the aperture. if one breaks, the lens is stuck w/o. a easier fix than cleaning aperture blades.

heres about the worst case scenario - i monkeyed with exposure with these. other than that, no pp

w/o

a few stops down

gwillys,

The repair shop that I found is Essex Camera Services, Inc.

http://www.essexcamera.com

Their response to my inquiry on the 58mm f1.2 was:

"The general service including problems mentioned of the lens will cost you $60.00 plus $9.95 for shipping and handling. Thank you for your inquiry."

thanks, hadnt come across them before. sounds like a general cla for $60. pretty reasonable. i have a few lenses that need work, think i'll give them a shot.

i've done some work on lenses, replacing bayonets. i'd advise you not to try it yourself. special tools, lubricants & chemicals are involved.

James M Hughes Senior Member • Posts: 2,007
58mm f1.2 Rokkor - Full Frame!

Strangely enough, I was out and about with the 58mm f1.2 Rokkor last weekend, and shot this picture of my wife at about f4. I was using a 'full-frame' Minolta XM camera. This body was made in the 1970s, and uses something called 'film'. After you've shot your pictures, it all gets a bit messy and complicated. To cut a very long story short, you end up having to scan these funny plastic strips. But the results aren't bad. Indeed, some people think it's better than digital. As you can see, at f4 the lens is pretty sharp.

If you're interested in a comparison, the picture below was taken at the same time with an Olympus E1 and Leica 14-50mm f2.8-3.5 Vario Elmarit lens.

I like the 58mm f1.2 wide-open, but hadn't thought of getting an adaptor to use it on any of my 4/3rds camera. Maybe I should!
J M Hughes

Re: 58mm f1.2 Rokkor - Full Frame!

In this case the full frame film wins over leica lens on E1, I still have films in my Minolta X-300 where the MD lens was shining:-)

James M Hughes wrote:

Strangely enough, I was out and about with the 58mm f1.2 Rokkor last
weekend, and shot this picture of my wife at about f4. I was using a
'full-frame' Minolta XM camera. This body was made in the 1970s, and
uses something called 'film'. After you've shot your pictures, it all
gets a bit messy and complicated. To cut a very long story short, you
end up having to scan these funny plastic strips. But the results
aren't bad. Indeed, some people think it's better than digital. As
you can see, at f4 the lens is pretty sharp.

If you're interested in a comparison, the picture below was taken at
the same time with an Olympus E1 and Leica 14-50mm f2.8-3.5 Vario
Elmarit lens.

I like the 58mm f1.2 wide-open, but hadn't thought of getting an
adaptor to use it on any of my 4/3rds camera. Maybe I should!
J M Hughes

David J Heinrich wrote:

gwillys,

Thanks. RJ e-mailed me about the new adapter, I may very well buy it.
Then I could use the old adapter for my tilt/shift construct.

Dave, get a $10 reverse adapter for your t/s project. if necessary, it would be simple to mill to the diameter for whatever you use as a 'boot'. i have i milling machine and would be happy to help you out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/58mm-macro-reverse-adapter-for-Olympus-E-410-E-510-E-3_W0QQitemZ350084080430QQihZ022QQcategoryZ30059QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

gwillys,

Thanks. I'm a little bit confused on your suggestion. Are you suggesting the reverse adapter to go on the part of the bellows that would connect to the camera body, or on the part that connects to the lens?

to provide a 4/3 bayonet, something like this:

from here:
http://www.creativepro.com/article/build-a-tilt-shift-camera-lens-for-peanuts

raymondl Forum Member • Posts: 67

nice pics. mines been on my e1 for a few days now, since i recieved RJ's
new af confirm chipped adapter. works great.

odd, RJ's chip doesn't work on my e1. RJ said the result varies. I wonder if it has to do with firmware version.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads