Trick for 8 fps without the grip for D300

Started Jul 28, 2008 | Discussions
easyRobin Forum Member • Posts: 79
Trick for 8 fps without the grip for D300

Hello guys,

If you want the higher than standard FPS without the vertical grip, do the following:

First, make the following custom setting adjustments:

e5: Flash only
e6: Flash only
f4: Button press - Bracketing burst
f4: Button + dials - Bracketing mode

Quality to either JPG or RAW 12 bit. Set exposure manually. Activate bracketing with the Fn + Command dial and set 9F (9 frames). Set your shooting mode to single-shot (S). Do not use flash. Then hold the Fn button and when you are ready to shoot, press the shutter release and continue holding the Fn button. The camera will fire up to 9 frames at 8 fps.

To continue shooting after 9 frames, you will need to let up on the shutter release and depress it again. If you fire fewer than 9 shots, you will only be able to shoot the remaining exposures in your 9-frame burst if you continue shooting again, without letting up on the shutter release again.

Since you have set auto bracketing to apply only to flash, your non-flash bracketing burst is fired at your manually set exposure — it is not bracketed.

Have fun, it really works!

D700, 24-70 2.8, 70-300 VR, SB900

Chuck Steenburgh
Chuck Steenburgh Senior Member • Posts: 1,982
Very original...
 Chuck Steenburgh's gear list:Chuck Steenburgh's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-FH20 Nikon Coolpix S800c Nikon D40 Nikon D70 Nikon D7000 +22 more
lovEU Veteran Member • Posts: 3,135
Chuck...

Chuck Steenburgh wrote:

http://sportsphotoguy.com/overclock-your-nikon-d300/

...how (the hell) did you figure out that one? It's slightly beyond my phantasy how one is going to find such settings

Btw, why did you put the warning on your site? I think, following your suggestion is different than for example using a firmware hack for Canon compacts. I'm just changing settings and maybe using Fn button a little bit different way than usual... so, I guess the warning only is for your own protection. But not because it is likely a camera will be damaged that way, right?
--
regards, eric

Chuck Steenburgh
Re: Chuck...

It's not the trick that's original; I actually picked it up here on DPReview. It's been passed around in various forms in several discussion forums. But I think if you're going to copy someone's writing almost verbatim, you ought to at least acknowledge the source! I'm a writer, and my writings are my intellectual property - however uninspired, poorly worded, or dull they might be.

I think there's certainly a possibility that one could damage the camera by pushing it beyond its official limits. The assumption of many regarding this 'trick' is that Nikon has crippled the camera's FPS rate intentionally in order to sell more battery grips. While that is certainly possible, it's equally possible the trick is, in fact, a glitch that allows pushing the camera beyond what it was intended to do. Bad things can happen when you try to draw more juice out of a power source than it is intended to provide.

That being said, the "warning" is as much an attempt to poke a little fun at the lawsuit-obsessed culture that exists in the U.S. and other places around the world.*

• Disclaimer: all warnings made by this author, satirical or not, should be taken seriously.

Casio Exilim EX-FH20 Nikon Coolpix S800c Nikon D40 Nikon D70 Nikon D7000 +22 more

Chuck Steenburgh wrote:

It's not the trick that's original; I actually picked it up here on
DPReview. It's been passed around in various forms in several
discussion forums. But I think if you're going to copy someone's
writing almost verbatim, you ought to at least acknowledge the
source! I'm a writer, and my writings are my intellectual property -
however uninspired, poorly worded, or dull they might be.

I agree. And I never will understand what's the problem with citing a source properly...

I think there's certainly a possibility that one could damage the
camera by pushing it beyond its official limits. The assumption of
many regarding this 'trick' is that Nikon has crippled the camera's
FPS rate intentionally in order to sell more battery grips. While
that is certainly possible, it's equally possible the trick is, in
fact, a glitch that allows pushing the camera beyond what it was
intended to do. Bad things can happen when you try to draw more
juice out of a power source than it is intended to provide.

How often did you apply the "trick"? Just for testing purposes to get beyond the limit for fun? Or did you use it even in real word shooting situations?

That being said, the "warning" is as much an attempt to poke a little
fun at the lawsuit-obsessed culture that exists in the U.S. and other
places around the world.*

• Disclaimer: all warnings made by this author, satirical or not,

should be taken seriously.

LOL
--
regards, eric

Chuck Steenburgh

Just for testing, really...the problem for me is the 9-frame burst. I'm seldom going to shoot exactly 9 frames, and at some point, the camera will stop firing when it hits that 9th frame. And besides...I have an MB-D10.

Chuck Steenburgh wrote:

Just for testing, really...the problem for me is the 9-frame burst.
I'm seldom going to shoot exactly 9 frames, and at some point, the
camera will stop firing when it hits that 9th frame.

uuh, so you're one of those overclocker kids

And besides...I have an MB-D10.

thought you're using two of them on one body
--
regards, eric

parisphotog Senior Member • Posts: 2,074

Chuck Steenburgh wrote:

Just for testing, really...the problem for me is the 9-frame burst.
I'm seldom going to shoot exactly 9 frames, and at some point, the
camera will stop firing when it hits that 9th frame. And besides...I
have an MB-D10.

I'm not really sure that's the problem. It's one of anticipation. The great war photographer Tim Page was once on an aircraft carrier off of the coast of Viet Nam, shooting launching of aircraft with a Nikon F and motor drive. His observation was that you could load a fresh 36 exp. roll of film and if you didn't anticapte things correctly then you could do a "full burn" and completly miss the shot.
High speeds are great, but you have to be great as well.

Don

Chuck Steenburgh
No doubt about that...

F and motor drive. His observation was that you could load a fresh 36
exp. roll of film and if you didn't anticapte things correctly then
you could do a "full burn" and completly miss the shot.
High speeds are great, but you have to be great as well.

I don't often do those "full burns"...again, it is not so much the desire to have more than 9 shots in a row, but if you shoot 2 frames, 3 frames, and 3 frames, the next time you shoot (i.e., the 9th frame) that's all you'll get -- and there are quite a few times when you do just want to motor away for 3, 4, 5 frames, at least.

Merlins51 Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: No doubt about that...

This trick allows you to shoot "up-to" 9 frames at 8fps. You can also (depending on your number of shots to bracket) shoot 2, 3, 5 or 7 shots in a group.

If you only select 5 frames to bracket then the camera will shoot 5 frames at 8fps. It's really rather nice!

JBP Senior Member • Posts: 1,014
FUNC + S Mode = 8FPS

It doesn't matter what other Custom Setting Menu "e" settings you choose. Holding down the FUNC and S shooting mode will result in 8 FPS. However, if you don't want a bracketed sequence you'll need to change e6 to Flash.

-- hide signature --

35 to 4 x 5 - NPS Member

JBP's gear list:JBP's gear list
Nikon D810
craig
craig Senior Member • Posts: 1,946
Re: FUNC + S Mode = 8FPS

How about in 14 bit?

craig's gear list:craig's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
JasonOdell Senior Member • Posts: 2,282
Works on the D700, too. (nt)

-Jason
--
Author, 'The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX 2.0'
http://www.luminescentphoto.com/nx2guide.html

Author, 'The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX'
http://www.luminescentphoto.com/capturenx.html

Visit my website at: http://www.luminescentphoto.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads