NV24HD and RAW mode

Started Jul 19, 2008 | Discussions
Elia Vecellio Contributing Member • Posts: 833
NV24HD and RAW mode

One of the main criticisms of this camera seems to be that the DRIM processing engine smudges and blurs a lot of the detail. Finding a way to enable RAW mode would be a big step to resolving this.

I have found a DPreview thread that has found a way to enable RAW on the Samsung S850 (and S85, apparently).

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1001&thread=27182792

Can anybody confirm if the button-sequence also works for the NV24HD? That thread describes the process in a number of ways, because the original discovery was written on a Russian site.

The buttons on the NV24HD are not the same as on the S850, but perhaps a small variation of buttons, may work. Anybody keen to try?

If RAW could be enabled, and processed without too much difficulty (ie no more difficult than CHDK RAW files from Canon), this would be a very attractive camera.

Elia

-- hide signature --

Elia Vecellio
eliavecellio@eliavecellio.com
http://www.eliavecellio.com

DonalDuc Regular Member • Posts: 318
RAW

If you want (and need?) RAW, buy a Nikon D700.
If you really need a car with 8 wheels: do not buy a little Toyota.

OP Elia Vecellio Contributing Member • Posts: 833
Re: RAW

I don't think your reply is very helpful.

Obviously, a DSLR is never going to fit in a pocket and is not going to take movie clips (at least all current models cannot do this). There are other reasons why a compact camera might be better for the job than a DSLR.

All digital cameras clearly have the 'potential' to output a RAW file since the camera must process the RAW data to create a JPEG. Many cameras, including compacts, are sold with the ability to save RAW files as part of the specification. In other cases, the feature is not listed in the specifications but it can be enabled in some other way. Sometimes this is done through service menus (like in S850 case), other times its through clever firmware piggybacks (like CHDK for Canon compacts).

To keep to your analogy, a little Toyota is everything that I need, but it would be nice to disable the (hypothetical) ECU chip that limits the top speed to 50mph. Sure, 99% of people will only drive it in towns, where it's not even possible to reach that speed. However, some drivers will want to occasionally take it on the highway and travel at highway speeds which, by the way, the motor/chassis/wheels are able to achieve without too much difficulty. Sure, it will never be a Ferrari or an F350 pickup truck, but I don't want it to be either of those things - a Toyota suits me just fine as long as I can utilise the features that everybody knows it is capable of..

DonalDuc wrote:

If you want (and need?) RAW, buy a Nikon D700.
If you really need a car with 8 wheels: do not buy a little Toyota.

-- hide signature --

Elia Vecellio
eliavecellio@eliavecellio.com
http://www.eliavecellio.com

Fab06 New Member • Posts: 11
Re: NV24HD and RAW mode

NV24HD developper mode menu :

1. Remove the memory card from the camera.
2. Turn on the camera and select SCENE, using the Mode Dial.
3. Press the Shutter button (S2) while holding down the W (Wide) and the Back
buttons (OIS).

But there is no "histo/Raw" option

RAW

... because nobody needs it ...

Flans Junior Member • Posts: 45
Re: NV7 and RAW mode!?

This really is interesting - enabling RAW-Mode on my S85 worked flawlessly, although histogram can't be seen anywhere despite being enabled, too. Now I really would love to have the chance to enable RAW on my NV7, because this is the model which probably could benefit most of this feature. So who is the first to hack the NV7?

nightingales Regular Member • Posts: 291

why do you keep bringing this up? If someone is interested in RAW on this camera, why is it so important that you tell them they should not want it? Besides that, they have a good point about wanting it anyway. I don't understand what your posts add besides obviously giving you great pleasure.
--

http://www.pbase.com/nightingalesga/

nemo6666 Senior Member • Posts: 1,195
Mr- RonaldDUck,
  • your posts are not helpfull for anyone here, why wasting your time such way?

Frustrated?
--
nemo66...the best sniper in town!

DonalDuc wrote:

... because nobody needs it ...

...your useless post.

Sorry, i think you forgot to end your posting

-- hide signature --

I am also interested in eventually buying the NV24, if it may possible to enable the RAW mode, well, i think it will be a real push in my decision.

So i hope for constructive responses in this thread.
--

Re: DonalDuc

Ouuuu thanx! YOUUUUUR post is very, very, very, very, very helpful!
I waited for such a posting, now I am happy, satisfied, in 7th heaven!
Would all people be like you! Praise the Lord - he sent YOU!

Did you have a bad day? Did your mum make your hot chocolate-drink too hot?
Lay at sun and look the clouds in the sky - I'm sure, then you feel better!

NV24 has wether RAW nor a built-in-microwave-oven.
You have to buy Nikon D700. But it has also no microwave-oven. But RAW.

bstring Contributing Member • Posts: 973
Samsung Raw

I'd be interested in enabling Raw on my NV24 if for no other reason than to check it out. I thought raw formats were very specific however, requiring some work to be able to read it.

Eric C. Au Regular Member • Posts: 390
Re: Samsung Raw

I would like to have raw mode on NV24HD, really.
the in-camera jpg coversion is wayyyy over processed.

zoranT Contributing Member • Posts: 922
Re: NV24HD and RAW mode

Anyone has a clue?
it works on some canon compacts;
but how do you crack the developers' mode on the NV24 once you re in it?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads