HP B8850 print problem

Started Jul 17, 2008 | Discussions
5x5 New Member • Posts: 4
HP B8850 print problem

Hello,

I'm searching for anyone who has had the same problem I'm having and how it was resolved. I'm trying to print on an HP B8850 and my prints all come out grey and yellow. The only way I can get a color print is by choosing "printer manages color." I've tried all kinds and sizes of paper, I've tried Photoshop CS3, Aperture 2 and Lightroom 1.3. I've tried it on a Mac G5 and a intel MacBook Pro but I can't get it to work. If I use the same settings on my HP C6180 All-In-One, I get the color I'm expecting - but not on the B8850.
Here is the digital photo:

Here is a photo of the print:

Thanks,
Brian

Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,422
Re: HP B8850 print problem

You may be double profiling - having both the application and the printer driver applying the profile for the paper.

If you want to manage colours in the application, make sure that you select the correct profile for the paper that you are using in the application and in the printer driver Color tab set "Application Managed Color".

If you want to manage colours in the printer driver, make sure that you have selected the correct paper or profile in the driver and select "Colorsmart/sRGB" in the Color tab. Set the application to "Printer manages color" or the equivalent.
--
Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
OP 5x5 New Member • Posts: 4

Chris,

I thought that I must be double profiling too. But some weird things are that I am printing on "HP Advanced Photo Paper" and if I choose this in the print dialog it gives the grey/yellow print. If I choose "Other Photo Paper," for example, I get close to the right look but it doesn't match the calibrated monitor. Another oddity is that if I use the exact same settings and print on my other HP printer the prints come out looking right.
In Photoshop CS3 on the Mac I am choosing:
Document (Profile: Adobe RGB(1998))
Color Handling: "Photoshop Manages Colors"
Printer Profile: "Working RGB - Adobe RGB(1998)"
Rendering Intent: "Relative Colorimetric"
Black Point Compensation On

On the Mac, if you choose "Photoshop Manages Colors" on the print page then it takes away that option on the print driver page - automatically disabling it.
Under "Paper Type/Quality" I'm choosing:
Paper Type: HP Advanced Photo Paper
Quality: Best
Source: Main Tray

Those are the only choices because the "Color" choice goes away when I choose "Photoshop Manages Colors."

Thanks,
Brian

Chris R-UK wrote:

You may be double profiling - having both the application and the
printer driver applying the profile for the paper.

If you want to manage colours in the application, make sure that you
select the correct profile for the paper that you are using in the
application and in the printer driver Color tab set "Application
Managed Color".

If you want to manage colours in the printer driver, make sure that
you have selected the correct paper or profile in the driver and
select "Colorsmart/sRGB" in the Color tab. Set the application to
"Printer manages color" or the equivalent.
--
Chris R

Since you get correct colours when you set "printer manages color", there is either something wrong with your settings (although I cannot see what) or there is a problem with the driver under your OS. I seem to remember some issues discussed recently about B9180 (essentially the same printer as the B8850) and Leopard - this thread might be of some help:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1003&message=26888695

You might want to post again with a title like "B8850/B9180 problem with [your OS]". This might get some more replies.

I think that Neil Snape ("colourgeek"), who is one of our resident B9180 experts, uses a Mac. You could try e-mailing him directly or posting with a title like "Problem for Neil Snape".
--
Chris R

Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Tom Monego Senior Member • Posts: 2,944

Looks to me as a faulty magenta or light magenta cart. Take both out and shake them, may help, could also be a miss set head, go in and make sure they are set in place. Other than that call HP help desk.

Also try printer managing colors, I find my B9180 works sightly better this way. Against all I have done in the past but works. Make sure to set "printer controls color" in Photoshop, worth a try. Set the Advanced Gloss profile in the driver.
Advanced gloss has worked well for me in my B9180.

Tom

Per Zangenberg Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

You should select the specefic paper profile instead of just Adobe RGB if you want desent results.

5x5 wrote:

OK, thanks. I tried that but it still looks grey and yellow.
Brian

Per Zangenberg wrote:
You should select the specefic paper profile instead of just Adobe
RGB if you want desent results.

5x5 wrote:

Well, I just got off my 4th phone call with HP Support and they have decided to send me a bare-bones replacement of the printer to try (no ink, print heads, power supply, etc). So in 5-7 business days I'll have another one to try. I'll update the thread after I try it.
Brian

sequoia55 Junior Member • Posts: 38

I am having the same exact problem printing on my B8850 as the original poster. I just got my new 8850 a few days ago. I having a Windows Vista system. When I try to print from PS-CS3, Lightroom, or Qimage and I select 'Application manages color' in the application and printer driver, I get the same results as the OP - yellow and gray images. I've been careful to ensure that I am not double profiling.

When I switch to 'printer managed color', it prints fine (except in Lightroom - no yellow/gray print, but overly orange reds). Since my 'printer managed color' prints match quite closely to my calibrated monitor, I will be sticking with this tactic for now.

I will be interested to see what happens when the OP gets their replacement printer and if that fixes his/her problem.

avigo New Member • Posts: 4

Hi there,

Same for me: new 8850 using Leopard 10.5.4 and the latest HP drivers that came with the automatic software update the other day. Whenever the application manages the colors, the colors are totally wrong (just like the ones in the initial post).

I already tried using the original HP drivers that came with the printer and using Aperture 2.1 instead of Lightroom. However, the exact same effect. Letting the printer manage the colors, I get decent prints - with less control over the colors, of course.

I already wasted some time, paper and inks, which is why I am about to return the printer.

In another forum, someone said repairing permissions on his Mac actually solved the problem. However, for me repairing permissions didn't do the trick.
Any ideas, anyone? Thanks for you help!

Regards,
Basti

New printer unlikely to fix things

Since the printer prints OK with Printer Managed Colors this must be a software/settings/OS conflict type issue.

Changing the printer or a cartridge is unlikely to fix the problem.
--
Chris R

Re: New printer unlikely to fix things

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response. Of course, the hardware itself is most probably OK. It must be the driver and/or the OS that somehow doesn't work. I'll talk to the HP support tomorrow, let's see what they can do. But since I am not willing to wait several weeks for a fix, I'll have to look for another printer...

Regards,
Basti

waveney2 Contributing Member • Posts: 640
I'm pretty sure you have a problem...

... with your settings. I've just set up an 8850 for a friend with no problems - sorry, I know that is no use to you. The set-up was essentially the same as my 9180, head condition went from fair to good within 4 prints.

We printed from cs3 and lightroom using my settings and all was ok. OSX 10.5. We didn't try to install the HP plug-in.

Perhaps some screen grabs of each stage of your print settings?

waveney
--
Next-door to World of Adventure

Re: I'm pretty sure you have a problem...

Hi,

Thanks for your help. So you are using 10.5.4 with the latest drivers from HP (via Apple Software Update) or the ones that came with the printer? Since I am not using Photoshop I haven't installed the plug-in, too.

Here's what I do in Lightroom:
Print Job - Color Management:

I choose the icc profile, in my case the one for the advanced photo paper glossy.
Rendering Intent is Perceptual (with Relative I've got the same issue)

Next, I choose Print...
Color Matching is greyed out and set to ColorSync
PaperType/Quality: Here, I can only set the paper type (HP Advanced Photo Paper)
Quality: Maximum dpi

Color Options is greyed out (Leopard prevents you from applying color management twice...)

Well, that's it. Not much you can do wrong, but if so, please let me know!

Regards,
Basti

waveney2 Contributing Member • Posts: 640

Yes the 8850 was set up with the latest HP drivers. I did start by repairing permissions(I always do this before installing new software) and afterwards. I also made sure the combo updater was used on the machine I was setting up. It does not always 'take' the first time so run it again. CS3 and Lightroom were also loaded

Sorry but I'm away from my home machine at the moment and only have 10.4 in front of me. Lightroom > Print > Copies and Pages you should select Application Managed Colours(forget colour sync) - this is the important setting.

I will refresh my memory when I'm next in front of my main machine and 10.5

waveney
--
Next-door to World of Adventure

Hi,

Thank you for looking into this. Under Leopard this setting is only available when selecting printer manages colors. If you select a certain profile in your application, this setting is greyed out to prevent you from applying the color adjustments twice.

I will try to reinstall the drivers once again, switch the printer completely off and hope for the best...

Greetings from southern Germany,
Basti

Janusz B New Member • Posts: 10

Hi !

I experienced a similar problem with colors with B8850. Sometimes only gray+yellow inks were used, sometimes cyan was not used.

It happend if application manages color, in WinXP, using newset HP drivers, with any printing program.

I figure out, that the settings of paper type in the printer driver is significant, e.g. if "other paper photo paper" is used, the colors are fine.

HP support does not recognize the problem.

Are there any news how to deal with it?

Best regards
Janusz B

pfranck New Member • Posts: 1

I had exactely the same problem on my iMac.
The thing that solved the problem was repairing my permissions.
It seems all the permissions get wrong throug the installation proces.

Hope it helps,

Peejee

nlex New Member • Posts: 20

I have a lot of problem with my HP B8850. I've bought it 2 days ago and i cannot achieve any good printer since hte begining.

Colors are always weird : sometimes too redish, sometime too blue-ish… It get on my nerves. I'm using Mac 10.5.4 and the last driver from Apple Update. I print trhu Indesign but i tried Acrobat and Photoshop too. I tried all the different settings and profiles available but the colors are always wrong : the 90€ cheap epson printer (RX425) i was using before was giving much more accurate colors !!! >

I don't know if i have to send the printer back or someone have a better idea ?

nlex New Member • Posts: 20

anyone solved this ?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads