Don't update to the 1.01 firmware! It breaks autofocus

Started Jun 17, 2008 | Discussions
candidasa Regular Member • Posts: 145
Don't update to the 1.01 firmware! It breaks autofocus

I just updated my Pentax K20d to the 1.01 firmware. However, now my 16-50mm f/2.8 lens no longer focuses. It makes a loud noise whirring noise and hunts to either end of the focus range. It sounds like it is trying to even force the lens to focus past the extremes of the focus range with the motor grinding when it reaches the end of the focus range. After hunting like this for a few seconds it gives up, failing to focus properly. This occurs in all lighting conditions. Previous to installing the new firmware there was no problem and the lens focused perfectly.

I wonder if there is a way to downgrade back to the 1.0 firmware?

In any case, I would suggest everyone hold off upgrading to the new firmware. It obviously hasn't been tested properly.

noray Regular Member • Posts: 239
Re: Don't update to the 1.01 firmware! It breaks autofocus

Your conclusion isn't as obvious as you may believe. It may have been pure coincidence.
--
Web: http://1RL.de
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/rainerl%C3%BCck

Peter Jonkman Senior Member • Posts: 1,007
Re: Don't update to the 1.01 firmware! It breaks autofocus

Indeed, the topic starter should try to clean the SDM contacts first. He's not the first one who complains about lost SDM functionality, and never was a firmware change the cause.

AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,846
Why? the motor is TURNING ..

Indeed, the topic starter should try to clean the SDM contacts first.

Why? the motor is TURNING (Hence the Contacts are fine) those contacts are a simple DC connection, originally there to power the Cheezy power zoom actions on some FA lenses and they either work or don't work..

the issue is that the cam just that the camera can't lock focus and probably more a Glitch in the firmware data download which has unfortunately left the file with the same checksum - or dud data on Pentax's site, or copy from card glitch ..

I'd suggest the OP downloads again - copies to a card freshly formatted in the camera and re-loads

-- hide signature --

Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D850 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
Peter Jonkman Senior Member • Posts: 1,007
Re: Why? the motor is TURNING ..

But the OP told that the lens makes "a loud noise whirring noise". That sounds just like a SDM lens that utilizes the body's screw focus motor instead of the SDM focus motor. But yes, you can be right too.

shopaholicann New Member • Posts: 3
No problem here..........

I updated last night and after reading your post and with a little trepidation, I've just tried 6 lenses on the camera with no problem at all. Perhaps it is indeed a coincidence. Good luck with getting it sorted though!
--
shopaholicann

AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,846
Re: Why? the motor is TURNING ..

But the OP told that the lens makes "a loud noise whirring noise".
That sounds just like a SDM lens that utilizes the body's screw focus
motor instead of the SDM focus motor.

Very Good point -- Those Powerzoom terminals seem to be more trouble than SDM is worth, Pentax should have added power terminals to the mount for SDM Like Nikon and KM did rather than use those flakey connectors! - the thing should still lock focus though even with the screw drive

-- hide signature --

Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D850 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
ELLIOT P STERN
ELLIOT P STERN Contributing Member • Posts: 630
It's working fine

I updated the firmware on two bodies last night, and just tried my lenses.
They all seem to work fine. My 16-50 2.8 is focusing without any issues.
elliot
--
Elliot Stern
Blue Ridge Workshops
http://www.Blueridgeworkshops.com

ELLIOT P STERN's gear list:ELLIOT P STERN's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,385
Re: No problem here..........

shopaholicann wrote:

I updated last night and after reading your post and with a little
trepidation, I've just tried 6 lenses on the camera with no problem
at all.

SDM lenses?

Joe

sadatoni Contributing Member • Posts: 787
Same here

Works fine with the DA 18-250
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sadatoni

sadatoni's gear list:sadatoni's gear list
Canon PowerShot A540 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +6 more
OP candidasa Regular Member • Posts: 145
It gets even weirder

Well, I've cleaned the lens and mount contacts, re-downloaded and re-run the firmware update but the problem is unchanged. I think it is hardly a co-incidence that one minute the SDM AF works fine, then I update the firmware and suddenly it can't focus on anything anymore.

However, I've now discovered something even more bizarr. When I switch on live view with the 16-50mm lens attached shake reduction now kicks into overdrive. It sounds just like the mirror cleaning phase at start-up, loud clunking, but it is continuous. I can see the live view image bouncing all over the place. Turning the shake reduction off with the switch on the back makes no difference. It still does the shake reduction overdrive. Turning the lens and body to MF also makes no difference.

However, if I attach an older MF-only lens everything works fine. Live view is normal. Unfortunately, I don't have any other SDM lenses to test this on.

Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,385
Re: It gets even weirder

I am beginning to wonder if you have a defective camera, brought out by the firmware update.

A call to Pentax UK may be in order.

Joe

shane gerrish
shane gerrish Veteran Member • Posts: 5,980
Re: It gets even weirder

just tried my K20D 1.01 with my DA*16-50/2.8 and it works fine.

perhaps you have a dud lens?

-- hide signature --

Shane,Gold Coast Aussie. Lens list in profile.
http://bigred4x4.blogspot.com/2008/01/welcome.html

shane gerrish's gear list:shane gerrish's gear list
Pentax K-1
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,156
Mine did that TOO, with 1.00, no upgrade, more

Mine did the EXACT same thing with the 16-50mm (without the firmware update). I returned the lens thinking it was the lens (30 day return policy), because it only happened on that lens, but I had no other SDM lenses to try.

First my SDM stopped working, then live view triggered the shake reduction to go nuts and was very unstable. Literally the picture was jumping all over the place and the camera was shaking like everything.

Creepy, I wonder if this is a systemic issue or something random.

Thanks for sharing, email me if you find out what it was (my camera isn't covered by warranty so I was going to ignore the problem).

Eric

candidasa wrote:

Well, I've cleaned the lens and mount contacts, re-downloaded and
re-run the firmware update but the problem is unchanged. I think it
is hardly a co-incidence that one minute the SDM AF works fine, then
I update the firmware and suddenly it can't focus on anything anymore.

However, I've now discovered something even more bizarr. When I
switch on live view with the 16-50mm lens attached shake reduction
now kicks into overdrive. It sounds just like the mirror cleaning
phase at start-up, loud clunking, but it is continuous. I can see the
live view image bouncing all over the place. Turning the shake
reduction off with the switch on the back makes no difference. It
still does the shake reduction overdrive. Turning the lens and body
to MF also makes no difference.

However, if I attach an older MF-only lens everything works fine.
Live view is normal. Unfortunately, I don't have any other SDM lenses
to test this on.

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads