weddings, fashion, portraits: mkIII 1d or 1ds???

Started Jun 11, 2008 | Discussions
YordanRhapsody Regular Member • Posts: 322
weddings, fashion, portraits: mkIII 1d or 1ds???

hi everybody, at september I will buy a new camera for weddings, fashion photography, portraits...

I need a camera with a very good AF so 1d or 1ds!

now, how many mpixel I will need for my uses? do you think that 10mpixel with a little better noise performance will be better than 21.9mpixel with better viewfinder but larger image files?

Robphoto Regular Member • Posts: 474
Re: weddings, fashion, portraits: mkIII 1d or 1ds???

are you new to weddings/fashion/portrait?

its an unusual question. either you want ultra high resolution images for up market fashion pics or you want blisteringly fast frame rate for photojournalistic wedding moments.

choices should always be made on experience, not advice. if you dont have the experience, do you really want to spend 10k on a body?

OP YordanRhapsody Regular Member • Posts: 322

I'm not new to weddings and portraits (where 10mpixel will be ok), but I'm new to fashion photography...

I'm planning to shoot in this situations from next october... but I don't know if I need an higher resolution for this kind o photos...

James L Wilson Senior Member • Posts: 1,556
Re: weddings, fashion, portraits the 1Ds3 or 5D is where to be...

YordanRhapsody wrote:

hi everybody, at september I will buy a new camera for weddings,
fashion photography, portraits...

1Ds3 hands down.
You do not need fast frame rate for these imaging jobs.
The image quality of the 1Ds3 is far superior in the entire Canon line.

I find it surprising that Canon advertises their 1D3 with wedding shots in their brochures.

If the 1Ds3 is too much of an investment, then the fallback position would be the 5D not the 1D3. A 5D2 may be shown to the market this year, late Aug, 2008 if we're lucky.

I'll be in line early for this puppy, about 15MP+, and very good low-light performer, and the other improvements that have been shown on the 1D3 and the D450...

Fashion, Wedding, Portraits are specialties for the 1Ds3 and the 5D...

If you're working indoor gymnasium events, then the 1D3 is where to be.

now, how many mpixel I will need for my uses? do you think that
10mpixel with a little better noise performance will be better than
21.9mpixel with better viewfinder but larger image files?

brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,117
Re: weddings, fashion, portraits the 1Ds3 or 5D is where to be...

21 mp too much overkill for weddings. 1DMk3 trumps the 5D as far as focus, and trups both the 5D and 1DsMk3 for high ISO low noise.

James L Wilson wrote:

YordanRhapsody wrote:

1Ds3 hands down.
You do not need fast frame rate for these imaging jobs.
The image quality of the 1Ds3 is far superior in the entire Canon line.
I find it surprising that Canon advertises their 1D3 with wedding
shots in their brochures.

If the 1Ds3 is too much of an investment, then the fallback position
would be the 5D not the 1D3. A 5D2 may be shown to the market this
year, late Aug, 2008 if we're lucky.

I'll be in line early for this puppy, about 15MP+, and very good
low-light performer, and the other improvements that have been shown
on the 1D3 and the D450...

Fashion, Wedding, Portraits are specialties for the 1Ds3 and the 5D...

If you're working indoor gymnasium events, then the 1D3 is where to be.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D810 Samsung NX1 +24 more
Fantasy Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,398

Neither the 1D Mk III nor the 1Ds Mk III has "a very good AF." But AF problems typically show up only in continuous focus mode, in bright light, and at warm tempertures. For your uses, the AF of those cameras is likely to perform adequately.

The maximum size of photo quality prints that you can make with any camera requires a resolution of at least 180 ppi. So, divide the pixel dimensions of the camera's sensor and that will tell you the maximum photo quality print that can be made from that camera. Then you can decide for yourself how many megapixels you'll need. For much fashion work, the 1Ds would be desireable but I doubt that you plan to be involved with big national fashion advertising campaigns, so I supect the 1D would be adequate. For weddings, most customers don't order 40x60-inch prints, so you probably don't need the 1Ds. The 1D might be better for wedding work if you think you could take advantage of its low noise performance at high ISO. Another difference between the two cameras is crop vs. full frame. If you have a super wide angle lens that you might use for your weddings, then the 1Ds would have an advantage.

Only you are in a position to decide which camera is best for you. I suspect the 5D might work for you and it cost less than the two cameras you are considering. If you shoot a lot of on-camera flash, you might even consider switching to the Nikon D3 as Canon's flash system is pretty poor. Nikon's flash system was good with film cameras though I have no experience with it on Nikon's digital cameras, but would assume that it still works bettern than Canon's.

YordanRhapsody wrote:

-- hide signature --
_SeaCam_ Regular Member • Posts: 129
CMYK Press Print

and large format print require higher resolution.
We print our catalogues on 340 line screen, which

requires 400+ dpi input to fully utilise it. I use a 1DSII and its good for a single
page and just ok for a page spread. If you want to compete in the fashion market

a 1DSII is minimum in my opinion. Most better fashion guys use backs but I strongly believe that a 1DSIII is good enough. I have done many weddings with my 1DSII and I would not want to swap it for less.

If I have to decide on a new camera now it would be the 1DSIII with a second hand 1DSII as a backup or if I would be on a tight budget I'd go for the 1DSII or two :))

I had a 1DII as a backup for weddings but never needed the speed, so I sold it and use an old S2 as a backup or for candids (but rarely).

I have looked and compared the Nikon D3 but it is no competitor in image quality even to the 1DSII (I compared the D3 with the 200/2 against my 1DSII with the 200/1.8 ). I am waiting for the Nikon 24MP because I have lenses in both systems and usually prefer the Nikon lenses. I use them a lot on my 1DSII with an adapter.

If you start out in the fashion market a 1DSII is sufficient I'd say to get your foot in. Lower end fashion is done on a lot less.

I consider the 1DSII the best bargain. You can pick them up at 3-4k so you save some bucks to complete your lens collection.

Sports, News etc is mostly ok with a 1DII or 1DIII but for this I'd prefer the Nikon D3. the MarkIIIs have not really excited me although the larger screen or focus adjust is a nice thing. However the MarkIIs were already very good cameras and will continue to be, I just don't like the ergonomics in the IIs that much, but it;s just a tool isn't it?

good luck
Garry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads