Fujifilm Finepix S100FS: first impressions and images.

Started Jun 10, 2008 | Discussions
mskad Veteran Member • Posts: 3,329
Fujifilm Finepix S100FS: first impressions and images.

Howdy Fuji Users!

Well I did it: I got myself a Fuji S100FS. As a long time DSLR guy, who likes to use prime lenses and doesn’t really enjoy electronic viewfinders, I’d never thought I would buy such a camera (a 14x zoom? Come on!). But after reading all the good reviews and feedback from users, I decided to give it a try…

To keep it short, I like pretty much everything about this camera: the speed (startup time, AF and write time, the 3 FPS in raw), the versatility of the lens (zoom range and macro capabilities, manual zoom ring), the very effective image stabilization system, the relatively excellent high ISO performance and the more than acceptable dynamic range, the quietness of the shutter, the articulated LCD, the flash hotshoe and the flash sync speed, the accurate metering and AF… indeed, lots of good stuff!

It’s not a small camera by any means, but it is light enough so I can carry it for hours without discomfort. And this is the first time that an EVF is good enough so it doesn’t distract you. Another thing to like is the plethora of controls (ISO, EV compensation, AF modes, metering modes, etc.). Actually, it’s better than some entry level DSLRs.

Obviously, there are a couple of things that I am not too excited about, like the totally unusable manual focus mode due to the lack of magnification during MF if you shoot raw. And I have to confess that I wasn’t able to figure out how the MF indicator works.

Also, while I don’t really mind the easy-to-remove chromatic aberrations, dealing with purple fringing is time consuming and the wavy barrel distortion at wide angle is hard to get rid of. The size of the raw files (around 23MB each) is not an issue as I convert them to DNG. The lossless compression reduces them to 11MB.

Bottom line: lots of things to like and a very effective and fun camera.

All images shot in raw, converted to DNG and processed with Adobe Camera Raw. Exif data embedded in the images. Comments and questions are welcome!

Out-of-topic rant about the pictures taken around The Museum of Fine Arts: I found out this weekend that we are not allowed to take pictures in pretty much all areas of the Museum. Quite ironic for a place that promotes arts.

This is the only room in this building where you are allowed to take pictures. The problem is that the room is empty... Unbelievable!

The next 3 were taken in Galveston, TX.

Backyard shots. The last two are ISO 800.

-- hide signature --
 mskad's gear list:mskad's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600
bigvig77 Regular Member • Posts: 407
Re: Fujifilm Finepix S100FS: first impressions and images.

Very impressive. Paul

mayonaka Senior Member • Posts: 1,338
Nice!!!

I just got mine in the mail today and am waiting for the battery to charge. I can't wait to try it out. I'm a long time film SLR guy and a panasonic FZ-30 user. The Leica lens on the panasonic was awesome, but it just didn't inspire me as much as all of the photo's on this site do of the S100FS. I am anxiously awaiting trying it out.

Congratulations on the new outstanding camera!

Chris

ArielF_MDP Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: mskad

Hi mskad, I'm very impressed with your results, you're very good. I think you don't take this simply as a hobby, you're more than a photography's fan

I really like most the Nº 1, Nº 3 (the smiling face) and the last one. But all of them have great detail and a correct exposure in all ways. Of course you did all on manual, didn't you?

Tell us how do you process the Raw, I mean, the software you use to do the conversion, if you do some post procesing before that ...

Well, I'm waiting for my s100fs yet, very anxiously, have to say. I hope I could got it this week and start shoting...

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Saludos,
ArielF_MDP

[ 'The negative or raw image, is like a partiture; the copy is its interpretation.' Ansel Adams

The final result then, will depend on the interpreters that could have that negative.]

[ 'El negativo o imagen cruda, es como una partitura musical; la copia es su interpretación.' Ansel Adams

El resultado final dependerá entonces, de los intérpretes que pueda tener ese negativo. ]

ArielF_MDP Junior Member • Posts: 43

Sorry, I had not seen the links below your photos. Now I understand better your results

( Just for curiosity and because I liked the frames you use: how do you do that frames to the images? I mean, the semi-transparent border (and out of focus too, I think) over the image with a thiny black or white line inside, and so on... )

I supose you use photoshop, but what are the steps to follow?

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Saludos,
Ariel

[ 'The negative or raw image, is like a partiture; the copy is its interpretation.' Ansel Adams

The final result then, will depend on the interpreters that could have that negative.]

[ 'El negativo o imagen cruda, es como una partitura musical; la copia es su interpretación.' Ansel Adams

El resultado final dependerá entonces, de los intérpretes que pueda tener ese negativo. ]

tdkd13 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,410

Great shots, the first one especially but all are quite well done.
Very nice work, Ted
--
http://photobucket.com/albums/y260/tdkd13/

OP mskad Veteran Member • Posts: 3,329

ArielF_MDP wrote:

( Just for curiosity and because I liked the frames you use: how do
you do that frames to the images? I mean, the semi-transparent border
(and out of focus too, I think) over the image with a thiny black or
white line inside, and so on... )

I supose you use photoshop, but what are the steps to follow?

I could tell you, but then...

Actually, it's quite simple (Photoshop): make a few pixel thick selection around the image and apply a slight gaussian blur, followed by a fill with 35% black in Darken mode, and a couple of black strokes. The outer frame is made using the canvas tool.

-- hide signature --
Thanks Ted for your kind comments. (nt)
-- hide signature --
Thanks! (nt)
-- hide signature --
Dray Senior Member • Posts: 2,960
Very nice! One question....

I primarily use dslr's but looking for that all-in-one solution. I have tried a few fixed lens or p&s cameras if you will, but have been terribly disappointed with the shutter lag in all of them. How is that with this model? Another forum member suggested I look at the fugi, but did not recommend a specific model.

I would be using for vacation type stuff such as disneyland, waterparks, beach, lake, etc. Really nothing seriously technical, but will be following the grandkids around, hence a fast shutter lag is needed. Thanks for your thoughts, and again, I'm very impressed with your results and I do realize equipment is only a small part.

Danny

KimberlyC
KimberlyC Veteran Member • Posts: 7,104

A beautiful group of photos! Lovely work.
--

There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself,
for what we see is what we are.
Ernst Haas

KimberlyC's gear list:KimberlyC's gear list
Nikon D7000 Samsung NX210 Samsung NX30 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus E-M5 II
Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,593
MS ...

... Congratulations and welcome to S100fs world. Superb images. Love those ones of the ferns.

I noticed your comments about CA/PF, try this one for PF.

http://www.dream-fusion.com/mkII/pics/pfkiller.zip

-- hide signature --

Rgds, Dave.
Have fun - take lotsa pix.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pixplanet

twg
twg Veteran Member • Posts: 4,442

MS, welcome !!

Your pictures posted are magnificent, more than magnificent.

-- hide signature --
 twg's gear list:twg's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D500 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 2.0x +4 more
maciste New Member • Posts: 7

Can you tell me something about the battery life?? is it limited to 230 shots??

anvancy Regular Member • Posts: 334

again some spectacular shots showing the capability of the s100fs..great shots there..
--
the great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

Hi Danny...

Dray wrote:

I primarily use dslr's but looking for that all-in-one solution. I
have tried a few fixed lens or p&s cameras if you will, but have been
terribly disappointed with the shutter lag in all of them. How is
that with this model? Another forum member suggested I look at the
fugi, but did not recommend a specific model.

Shutter lag is very good and camera is very responsive. Only annoying thing is that you cannot totally turn off the image review.

I would be using for vacation type stuff such as disneyland,
waterparks, beach, lake, etc. Really nothing seriously technical, but
will be following the grandkids around, hence a fast shutter lag is
needed.

Again, shutter lag shouldn't be an issue, but AF might not be fast enough. I briefly tried continuous AF and frankly is it not up to DSLR standards. Actually, not even close. On the other hand, one shot AF is totally usable and close to what you would expect from an entry level DSLR.

Another think you might consider when capturing these kind of family events is that the S100FS can do movies, something that no DSLR can (as of today).

Thanks for your thoughts, and again, I'm very impressed with
your results and I do realize equipment is only a small part.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
Thanks! (nt)
-- hide signature --
Re: MS ...

Lloydy wrote:

... Congratulations and welcome to S100fs world. Superb images. Love
those ones of the ferns.

Thanks!

I noticed your comments about CA/PF, try this one for PF.

http://www.dream-fusion.com/mkII/pics/pfkiller.zip

Thanks for the link! I downloaded it and yes, it does a very nice job.

-- hide signature --

maciste wrote:

Can you tell me something about the battery life?? is it limited to
230 shots??

I didn't take enough picture to answer to that, but I can tell you that as soon as I knew that I was going to keep this camera, I ordered a couple of ultra-cheap third party batteries on eBay. I will let you know how they work as soon as I receive them.

-- hide signature --
Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,593
Maciste ...

... If I may jump in ?

I'm consistently getting 420 + images every time I shoot. I am careful to run it down before recharging. This is using all kinds of setting combinations, but I never use the flash. Hope this helps.
--
Rgds, Dave.
Have fun - take lotsa pix.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pixplanet

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads