XSi vs XS for first time DSLR?

Started Jun 10, 2008 | Discussions
adams828 Forum Member • Posts: 67
XSi vs XS for first time DSLR?

I'm interested in both these models as my first DSLR - currently I have a Sony H2, which was fun for a while coming from a P&S, but now I'm ready for more.

My two main uses are a) nature/landscapes and b)sports (non-professional). If I'm not going to spend a few $k on lenses, would that make a difference in what model I pickup?

Paul De Bra
Paul De Bra Forum Pro • Posts: 12,840
The 450D has mainly advantages with fast lenses.

Most differences between the 450D and the 1000D are insignificant, but the center focus point that has higher precision with fast lenses (f/2.8 or better) is important. If you don't buy such fast and often expensive lenses (except for the 50mm f/1.8) it may not be worth paying the difference.

adams828 wrote:

I'm interested in both these models as my first DSLR - currently I
have a Sony H2, which was fun for a while coming from a P&S, but now
I'm ready for more.

My two main uses are a) nature/landscapes and b)sports
(non-professional). If I'm not going to spend a few $k on lenses,
would that make a difference in what model I pickup?

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the 450D and and the Canon G6.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/ .

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Doug Pardee
Doug Pardee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,899
Re: XSi vs XS for first time DSLR?

adams828 wrote:

My two main uses are a) nature/landscapes and b)sports
(non-professional). If I'm not going to spend a few $k on lenses,
would that make a difference in what model I pickup?

For nature photography, probably not. For sports photography, probably so.

The XS/1000D has the older, less capable autofocus system. The 7 AF points are too wide-spaced to really track subjects moving across the image, and the XS/1000D lacks the high-precision center AF point for fast lenses (f/2.8 or faster).

The XS/1000D also can only shoot Raw at 1.5 frames per second, while the XSi/450D can do twice that rate. Depending on how you shoot sports, this can be a big deal. Most serious sports photographers seem to find the XSi/450D's 3 fps to be too slow, and they move up to the 40D with its 6.5 fps.

Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Canon EOS 350D +13 more
KALEL33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,797

I think if you're just learning, both the XS or XSi would be a good choice. The lack of some of the features in the XS will lessen the curve, for now. When you have a better grasp of handling the camera in two, three, or four years then you will know whether you need the newest xxxxd, xxxd, or xxd model.

Jerbian New Member • Posts: 14

I would rather go for the XS assuming there will be a substantial difference in price (more than 100$)

The only big differences that may impact the choice:
Speed
AF
and in a very less extend the resolution

I do not understand canon, they are cannibalizing their own product. The XSI was already a good alternative for the D40 but since the D40 was relatively old and about to be replaced it was acceptable... but in this case they are killing the new born XSI. Consumers and mainly new DSLR entrants will either take the XS or go to the next level: 40D or 50D. I am guessing that canon did not reach their objective in term of sale... I would have rather went for a discount ...

In the resell market I am expecting XSI value to drop which is an additional argument to to go for the XS...

aVolanche Veteran Member • Posts: 3,916

For sports,frames per second(fps) becomes more important.That's where the xxD cameras are better.You can buy a really nice,used 30D body for $600 on Fred Miranda Forum.Or the 40D new during the rebate period is only $939,which is a steal.The 30D and 40D are 5 and 6.5 fps,which helps with sports.They have better focus systems and are no harder to learn(maybe easier) than the Rebels.

They have much more substantial bodies,longer life shutters,but weigh more.Many users find them much more comfortable to hold(better grips).I had a 400D and went to a 30D(like it much better).I have an H2,and it is excellent,but frustratingly slow(nice images,though.....so I keep it for those times I want to go small).

aVolanche's gear list:aVolanche's gear list
Nikon D810 Panasonic G85 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads