F20 is water resistant - anyone know how much more can it stand ?

Started Jun 9, 2008 | Discussions
nycandre Regular Member • Posts: 418
F20 is water resistant - anyone know how much more can it stand ?

Had the good surprise to find that my F20 survived quite well a pouring rain dunk last night at the Meadowlands. I did not take any special provision to protect it, and sort of expected the worst. It did get wet all over, and I took no special measures to dry it .. just left it out on a desk.

Turns out it is quite OK. Do you have any similar experience or have you tested it for water resistance ?

This is a good sample photo from that evening, as you can see it really poured
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycandre/2563839377/

-- hide signature --

nycandre on Flickr

robbo2 Contributing Member • Posts: 875
Re: F20 is water resistant - anyone know how much more can it stand ?

I had the F20 and thought it was a great little camera. I am happy that yours

didn't fizzle out in the rain, but would hope that it wouldn't undergo such watery challenges in the future. I don't think that Fuji touts it as an all weather camera, unlike Olympus and its Stylus SW line.

robbo2's gear list:robbo2's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P950
OP nycandre Regular Member • Posts: 418

Indeed - I have thought of getting the Oly just for that reason. But nowhere near the IQ (Image Quality) so .. will take my chances for the time being. Or get some waterproofing thingy.

-- hide signature --

nycandre on Flickr

Brad Nichol Regular Member • Posts: 117
Here's a tip

Here is a little tip that costs next to nothing and might help.

Find an old skylight or UV filter that is not scratched, then take a Ziplock plastic bag and cut a neat hole in the side of it, and attach the filter to the hole with some gaffing tape, leaving the centre of the filter clear.

Then all you need to do is pop the camera in the bag and hold the lens against the filter and you can get shots without getting the little dear wet. It is quiet easy to operate the camera through the bag and see the screen.

If you want you could stick some rubber buffer of some type to the lens surround so it doesn;t slip against the surface of the filter.

Cheers
Brad
--
Zero-one imaging

Deleted1929 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,050

You've been very lucky. Don't push it. I'm pretty sure the manual says "keep camera dry at all times". I don't think they were joking.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Fuji S3 Pro
Pentax K100D
Fuji S9600
Fuji E900
PCLinuxOS

mzillch Contributing Member • Posts: 723

You were lucky. Mold, mildew, fogged sensors/ internal lens elements and "rust" or other metal corrosion may still kick in days later so continue to keep your fingers crossed. To the best of my knowledge Fuji makes no claims that the Fxx series cams are water resistant

OP nycandre Regular Member • Posts: 418

Brad: thanks for the tip - will do for sure .. can't push my luck - someone must have an inexpensive ready made such gadget on the market ?

-- hide signature --

nycandre on Flickr

Deckard Contributing Member • Posts: 651
Yes

I've been using Dicapac housing snorkelling down to two mters witouth any problem.
http://www.dicapac.com/
--

He who laugh last thinks slowest.

Deckard's gear list:Deckard's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
bearzimages Senior Member • Posts: 1,150
Loch Ness

When diving in Loch Ness I always take my fuji f20 along. Besides you never know when Nessie will surprise you, or where she'll pop up! It's an amazing camera. Incidentally when exploring the Bermuda Triangle last year, my f20 was mistaken by a giant Sea Snail as an exotic sanck. With astounding luck the Sea Snail to my good fortune, had discovered my fuji was in fact a camera. With haste he retrurned my trusty old fuji f20 as soon as he could. Of course I saved the old fellow face, & thanked him profusely for saving my camera & priceless holiday piccies!

The Morale of the story is, always carry Giant Sea Snail snacks when poking about the Bermuda Triangle.
--

'To use a camera as a means of artistic expression, a certain quality of spirit must be brought to aid light & air' -Bayard Wootten 1926

http://www.bearzimages.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bearzimages

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads