Panasonic drops out of 4/3!!

Started Jun 7, 2008 | Discussions
Timmi
Timmi Contributing Member • Posts: 676
Panasonic drops out of 4/3!!

Ok here is the News:

http://diefotoredaktion.de/nachrichten/four-thirds-kameras-rueckzug-von-panasonic

Its in German, but it is basically saying:

A Panasonic Rep confirms at a Public Photo Exhibition that Matsushita/Panasonic will no longer Produce 4/3 DSLRs Devices. They are looking for 2/3 Type DSLRs with larger sensors.

Ok, Whats next? A return of Kodak?

-- hide signature --

iThink, therefore iMac

Timmi's gear list:Timmi's gear list
Olympus E-1 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M1X OM-1 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
sng_photo Forum Member • Posts: 97
Re: Panasonic drops out of 4/3!!

It is not official yet, only a statement from one of their employees.

sng

Timmi
OP Timmi Contributing Member • Posts: 676

Thats right and if this would have been a Pana Rep at a local store I wouldn't bother at all. But his was an official Panasonic Stand at an Exhibition and they asked the question a few times to confirm this answer.

B
--
iThink, therefore iMac

Olympus E-1 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M1X OM-1 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
ImageFred Contributing Member • Posts: 535

I just translated the article and the rep said this but it's speculation at this stage as it states clearly in the article nothing has been confirmed yet.

But that said here is more about that speculation on the Panny forum( Translated from German)

Panasonic exit the end of the 4:3 format? I take times the message in the photo editorship main side as hanger for this (speculation) Thread. If the statement is correct in such a way, then I think at least the Four Thirds consortium burst. Because Panasonic was safe of the market power as a camera manufacturer as also as so far, beside Kodak, largest sensor makes one of the principal supports of the Four Thirds of format. The many questions arise if the case Panasonic of the retreat are actually correct might among other things read: - Which makes Olympus as a camera manufacturer fully on the small DSLR the format set? Does Kodak substitute again as a sensor supplier? Around Kodak it had become very quiet lately as DSLR sensor manufacturer. - Like for a long time the decision of Panasonic is certain already? The duration and kind of the sensor presentation with the last Olympus models could put the conclusion close that the exit admits already longer is. For me, apart from all the good features those placed itself the Olympus cameras has, the presentation (r) sensors of the 2-e4/510 over e3 up to the e4/520 more as purpose than dear wedding there. Perhaps did Olympus for the long announced e-3 have that to take which was there, since far sensor was not yet finished an evolution adjusted by Paansonic already and Kodak? - Would be Olympus with the current objectives, with appropriate change on the camera side naturally to block in the position of APS-C or KB sensors? Anyhow now door and gate are opened for the speculations. In addition it might have Olympus, with difficulty more heavily than so far, the customer the Four Thirds format than " blessedly machendes" To sell DSLR sensor format.

LLS1 Regular Member • Posts: 423

Timmi wrote:

Ok here is the News:

http://diefotoredaktion.de/nachrichten/four-thirds-kameras-rueckzug-von-panasonic

Its in German, but it is basically saying:

A Panasonic Rep confirms at a Public Photo Exhibition that
Matsushita/Panasonic will no longer Produce 4/3 DSLRs Devices. They
are looking for 2/3 Type DSLRs with larger sensors.

Maybe they should drop out if they can't manage better marketing than they've shown so far. For example I haven't seen a single store in Finland that sells the L10 or any of their lenses. The only one I've seen is the L1 with the original 14-50 and that was a long time ago. How do they expect to sell their cameras and lenses if they're not available? If they use this kind of marketing they won't be any more succesful with a 2/3 sensor either.

JoannaK Contributing Member • Posts: 646

We'll see what will happen. Makes me wonder though, what mount/lens system they are planing to have for those?

JoannaK's gear list:JoannaK's gear list
Olympus E-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
Louis_Dobson
Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,582
I read it as not making

4/3rds cameras (and I'm not surprised, they've messed up both models totally, nothing to do with the sensor size) - so long as they produce the chips that's fine.

Or did my thirty year old schoolboy German let me down?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam

Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Timmi
OP Timmi Contributing Member • Posts: 676
Re: I read it as not making

Nope it didn't. The interesting point is however that they are looking for larger 2/3 sensors DSLRs.

So why bother then 4/3 Type stuff when looking for something bigger?

-- hide signature --

iThink, therefore iMac

omel Contributing Member • Posts: 631

Make no bones about it Panasonic are huge in Asia and I mean huge!!! That beats the the European market in numbers by a motza. Europe is not their market or a great concern
--
blink and remember..................
http://www.etrouko.com

Louis_Dobson
Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,582
That's not really marketing.

Stores carry what they can sell. The original L1 was a basically nice close of the excellent E330, complete with wonderful aperture ring, crippled by no LV A sensor (but still the dim VF) and no articulating screen.

The second attempt removes the only good bit (the aperture ring) and is a cut down E3 with an appalling buffer.

Unsurprisingly both are total sales turkeys.

I nearly bought an L1 to have an aperture ring - since they promptly dropped it I'm so glad I didn't.

Panasonic can use whatever sensor size they like, but they'll have to come up with clever cameras than that or they are doomed.

Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Kodak

Well that means it's back to Kodak sensors for Olympus.
Look what Hans says:

I believe, it am too early, in order to purge in panic tendency. Camera-laterally Panasonic held back hesitant to the 4/3-Format always somewhat and the two housings was never something that one must have urgently. Which concerns the Leica optics, they could not set off really qualitatively from the digital Zuikos. Only the 14-150er is, with good quality to digest as travel zoom shot justifiablely, however concerning the price somewhat more with difficulty. The 25er is to point, particularly with open screen, certain weaknesses out. If Olympus finds a good sensor supplier, the thing is only half so tragic. I would not copy Kodak A priori. The research department works apparent still industriously. Greeting, Hans

haustier Forum Member • Posts: 75
Re: That's not really marketing.

This part is so true:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Panasonic can use whatever sensor size they like, but they'll have to
come up with clever cameras than that or they are doomed.

They can't have success if they just blame the sensor size.

sng_photo Forum Member • Posts: 97
Re: I read it as not making

Louis_Dobson wrote:

4/3rds cameras (and I'm not surprised, they've messed up both models
totally, nothing to do with the sensor size) - so long as they
produce the chips that's fine.

It is something like per constant request from their userbase they will move to a larger and 3:2 format. Sounds like to keep full frame doors open.

sng

LLS1 Regular Member • Posts: 423

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Stores carry what they can sell. The original L1 was a basically
nice close of the excellent E330, complete with wonderful aperture
ring, crippled by no LV A sensor (but still the dim VF) and no
articulating screen.

The second attempt removes the only good bit (the aperture ring) and
is a cut down E3 with an appalling buffer.

Unsurprisingly both are total sales turkeys.

I nearly bought an L1 to have an aperture ring - since they promptly
dropped it I'm so glad I didn't.

Developing a product that people want to buy is marketing as well. Obviously panasonic had no idea what DSLR customers expect from a camera. Their lenses on the other hand seem excellent, but they too are not available.

Translated from German:

in more newly 4/3 sensor of Kodak? On it I counted, but only in the generation after the next. Far candidates? Actually only the usual suspicious: Sgima and Fuji It is from there also well possible the Olympus only so small leaps with the E420 and E520 made because beautifully longer admits is Panasonic will step out and one technically still carries sensor forward which degrees is there.

And also:

There was for quite some time a whole set of signs for eienen possible retreat, I calls it times " Frühindikatoren". Panasonic did not further pursue the own line after initially engaged entrance then any longer consistently (which considering market power and the money standing behind the company enough is already amazing). The objective line was presented more or less halfheartedly, almost endless delivery times were accepted, a genuine market presence one was never reached (to never reach to want?). The presentation in the market (cameras and optics) was goal-prominent hesitant, little - particularly in youngest time, comprehensive model politics were not tackled. Compatibility problems to the Olympus cameras rather accepted as eliminates. The present problem might be that the Packunsgdichten continues to increase permanently on the sensors, however - in contrast to compact camera by the consumers picture-qualitative backward steps not or only to small extent to be accepted. 12 and/or 14 MioPix are today in the entering he and center class the rule. And - see to 450D with good reason good picture characteristics. To it the sensor manufacturing became parallel lower-priced, makes today so-called full format sensors a price producible, which was still inconceivable before three or four years. Almost all manufacturers recognized in the meantime the fact that highest image quality with increased component density only over the way of the larger sensors - outgoing from today's technology convertible is. High detail dissolution is demanded by the engaged consumers with at the same time first-class Low Light usefulness. The borders of small sensors become visible thereby. Without in the meantime almost all other camera manufacturers the way do not go offering reason, at least the full format additionally (Samsung/Pentax comes thereby, Sony likewise, Canon and Nikon has it). Only possibility for Olympus, in order in this - admittedly more or less meaningful race of participating, is, to likewise block a larger sensor in a completely new camera and technically the Nikon way go, in order to keep the old optics further usable (adapter etc.). Thus large sensor with the possibility of being able to use during partial selection also optics with smaller picture circle. This thought presupposes the building of a completely new objective line for a larger sensor format. All of this on the basis of the acceptance that in next time no new technology is, which places all this on the head. Panasonic should actually say good-bye from the FT-assortment - and everything speaks for it would be at least momentary this a crude impact for Olympus. The way to the niche offerer for moderate social climbers from the compact camera segment could be however a further passable way. Extremely low-priced, easy and compact DSLRs, easy, low-priced optics with good achievement could - as today already some prospective customer for the mirror reflex photography to inspire, without this ever comes into the Gefilde, in those he full format claims of quality feels. This clientele gives it zuhauf, Olympus cameras could serve it in the best way. One of many conceivable scenarios. Schaun we times, the future becomes exciting. To doubt the general continuance of the FT-system I do not see an acute reason at present. Greetings Guenter

omel Contributing Member • Posts: 631

...they make more out of white goods than cameras ..... digital cameras are a side product
--
blink and remember..................
http://www.etrouko.com

Kurt Petersen Senior Member • Posts: 2,573

Well at this stage it's an unsubstantiated rumour, I'd wait for more than a single 'a rep said this' report. Even if it is true and Panasonic ceases making 4/3rds cameras for themselves, it doesn't mean they will sever ties and stop making sensors for Olympus.

Kurt Petersen's gear list:Kurt Petersen's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +6 more
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

Half of their problem (pannie) was overpricing their stuff by miles.

No wonder they had bad sales.

Just moving to 3/2 sensors isnt going to make them sell tons. And what mount are they going to use?? Start a new one? Not so easy.

-- hide signature --

I am not the 'Ghost Hunter', nor am I the Irish actor in the 'Quiet Man'

Why shouldn't it remain Panasonic? The production of own cameras with other sensor format does not exclude nevertheless large production from FT-sensors by any means, or? Anywhere about the fact it was not spoken that Panasonic steps out of the FT-consortium. Sigma, Fuji & CO. also it proved that one can be quite also thereby, without large own commitment in particular regarding own cameras of this format. Greeting Guenter

illy
illy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,160

maybe they are going to stick APS sensors in their bodies and keep the the 4/3rds lens mount lol
--
http://illy.smugmug.com

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads