Nikon user joined the A200 club

Started Jun 6, 2008 | Discussions
Dayd3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,034
Nikon user joined the A200 club

Nice to be here. Yesterday I bought my first Sony A200 with kit lens. Very sweet camera but weather here is dull so I can't go out and test it as much as I like. I bought it cause I need another camera and decided to give a chance to Sony.I also have Nikon D80 with battery grip, Sigma 150 2,8 Macro and Nikkor 50/1,8.

I must admit that A200 surprised me. Very nice focus speed, excellent multi segment metering, excellent JPG compression, excellent SSS and also D-R+ which works so nice and allows me to finaly shoot JPGs without worry. With D80 I'm forced to shoot RAW to achieve similar results later.

Can you give me please some advice which Creative Style is best for shooting nature and flowers? I'm not familiar with this system and don't know what can I expect from this styles. I will also need some of this pictures later for press printing but also for web.

Dayd3's gear list:Dayd3's gear list
Olympus E-PL7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8
JusLookN Veteran Member • Posts: 4,349
Re: Nikon user joined the A200 club

You may want to try the landscape style for your suggestions. Then experiment with + & - on the other settings to see what you like best. But mostly, the experimenting with other modes is where you will have most of the fun. Welcome, and enjoy your new camera! Come back and post some pictures after you try those creative styles so we can see how they turned out!
--
Glenn

I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

JusLookN's gear list:JusLookN's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon D3S Nikon D4S Sony a77 II +3 more
OP Dayd3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,034

Thank you. I'll try first with Landscape style with different settings but need to wait for some sunny days.

Olympus E-PL7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8
carljervis Senior Member • Posts: 1,000

Dayd, welcome to the club! I love the A200 too, but the missus won't let me play with hers!

What sort of nature photography do you do? I've been shooting raw since I got my 5D, and use aperture priority mainly, especially with both the 500mm and 105mm macro, but have tried using the raw+jpg mode on the A200. Not at all familiar with the mode settings, but even untweaked, find the A200 jpgs very much comparable to a processed raw file!

Bobadger Forum Member • Posts: 65

Welcome to the club! I went from a D50 (which I still use for indoor flash and with the excellent 55-200mm VR) to the A200 (and also a BB A700). The 200 is great, especially for JPGs. Creative style settings are a matter of how you prefer your colors to look, and I recommend that you experiment with all of them. Personally, I use Vivid with Sharpness at+1, but mostly I use the A200 for grandson snapshots.

carljervis wrote:

Dayd, welcome to the club! I love the A200 too, but the missus won't
let me play with hers!

What sort of nature photography do you do?

Thank you. Most ususaly I'm shooting gardens and flowers for gardening magazine. I made some comparison with D80 and A200 Multi segment metering doesn't blow out highlights so easily like for example Matrix metering on D80. This is very good cause I can shoot just JPGs without worries.

I've been shooting raw
since I got my 5D, and use aperture priority mainly, especially with
both the 500mm and 105mm macro, but have tried using the raw+jpg mode
on the A200. Not at all familiar with the mode settings, but even
untweaked, find the A200 jpgs very much comparable to a processed raw
file!

On D80 with Sigma 150 macro I'm using Shutter speed priority or Manual mode. For best results with this lens I need 1/500 sec and then I get at least 90% super sharp images. With Nikon I'm always shooting raw so that later I can pull out some details from shadows or highlights.

A200 have SSS and that's why I'm using this camera mostly in Aperture priority. I also agree with you that I don't see much of use shooting raw with A200 (maybe for high ISO shoots but I'm not using this camera for this). Nice multisegment metering and D-R+ denies my need for shooting raw. D-R+ automaticaly pulls out some details from shadows and highlights and saves my time to do the same later with raw.

Bobadger wrote:

Welcome to the club! I went from a D50 (which I still use for indoor
flash and with the excellent 55-200mm VR) to the A200 (and also a BB
A700). The 200 is great, especially for JPGs. Creative style
settings are a matter of how you prefer your colors to look, and I
recommend that you experiment with all of them. Personally, I use
Vivid with Sharpness at+1, but mostly I use the A200 for grandson
snapshots.

Thanks. Before I also had D50 and recently moved to D80 and A200. I like more vivid colors but found it's possible to achieve same by changing saturation in any Creative style mode. Unfortunatelly I don't know in which way every CS mode change individual colors. Is anywhere some color charts shot in every CS mode?

For example I like vivid colors but don't like when they are blown out. Nikon very easily blow out red channel in IIIa color mode which is for landscapes. That's also one reason why I'm shooting raw with Nikons. And now I'm searching for some setting on A200 which is vivid as possbile but at the same time doesn't blow out very easily any of RGB channel. Does something like this exist?

Thanks in advance

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads