Recommend a good Glamour Photography book?

Started Jun 5, 2008 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Kris1108 Regular Member • Posts: 125
Recommend a good Glamour Photography book?

I know there are tonnes of resources on the internet, but could someone recommend a good book on glamour photography? I'd like something to read when the PC's not around... it seems like there's plenty of books available on this topic, so I'd like to get one that stands out above the rest-

Thanks

-- hide signature --

• K r i s : Q L D - A u s t r a l i a

• P a n a s o n i c : F Z - 1 8

Ms Barb
Ms Barb Contributing Member • Posts: 744
Re: Recommend a good Glamour Photography book?

Hi Kris!

I have no help for you, but really would like to know this too. I am in the process of setting up my studio at this moment and need help in placement of lights and how to sync with camera also. My kit came with a booklet and it has disappeared into thin air. Love it when that happens!
--
Barb
thru the lens and into the world~~

http://www.allenpix.smugmug.com

Tom Boucher Senior Member • Posts: 1,518

Look for the two books by Rolando Gomez.

He runs the Glamour1 (formerly garage glamour i think it was). They're on amazon.

Titles are:

Garage Glamour: Digital Nude and Beauty Photography Made Simple
Rolando Gomez's Glamour Photography: Professional Techniques and Images

I always meant to get this one, but haven't.

Lori Mann's Irreverent Guide to Shooting Erotic Photography
--
http://www.thescribeoflightphotography.com

Tom Boucher's gear list:Tom Boucher's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Ms Barb
Ms Barb Contributing Member • Posts: 744

Thanks, Tom!
--
Barb
thru the lens and into the world~~

http://www.allenpix.smugmug.com

Kris1108 OP Regular Member • Posts: 125

Thanks, Tom.. they were a couple that I've been looking at (as advertised on the glamour1 site). That should get us off to a good start! Has anyone else read either of these?
--

• K r i s : Q L D - A u s t r a l i a

• P a n a s o n i c : F Z - 1 8

dogwood Veteran Member • Posts: 3,458
lori mann's book

That book has some decent info but it's more geared towards breaking into full-on adult themed photography than glamour. Some might argue there's no difference but I suspect most of us can tell the difference.

-- hide signature --
PShank Contributing Member • Posts: 656
Skin by Varis...?

I have been looking at this book (cannot find in the library) and wondered if anyone has read it. I am about to set up a studio and need some info on how to best use CS2 to get the different looks I want. Thanks!

InnerDemon Contributing Member • Posts: 647
"Skin" - By Lee Varis

I found this at Borders the other night and up until I started reading it, I actually thought I knew something about taking a portrait. After a chapter or two, I realized just how little I know. The book isn't solely about glamour photos, but rather portrait photography and specific challenges and opportunities associated with photographing people.

The book can be a bit challenging depending on your knowledge of color concepts and Photoshop techniques, since Varis goes into far more depth with respect to these subjects than I have seen elsewhere - at least as they relate to portrait and people photography. In particular, I loved his lighting examples, step-by-step transformations of photos, and excellent explanation of various techniques

As many of you know, dealing with people's complexions can be one of the most difficult aspects of photography. "Skin" is packed with some very straight forward how to advice regarding processing (in some cases very involved) skin, eyes, teeth, hair, etc., lighting and how to arrange lighting for the particular effects, and all types of other extremely valuable insights into making the most of your people photography - whether they are basic portraits or fancier glamour shots.

If you care about making the most out of your portraits and people photography (and can tolerate the disappointment of realizing that there is much more to portrait photography than you might realize! :), I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Skin-Complete-Digitally-Photographing-Retouching/dp/047004733X

-- hide signature --
dogwood Veteran Member • Posts: 3,458
surface blur

One the key techniques in the book involves using surface blur. I know that's a feature available in CS3 but I'm not sure if it's in CS2.

-- hide signature --
Gene L. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,788
Buy it!

I just finished reading it and I don't even have CS3 yet (still on Elements 5). It is a wonderful book and well worth the investment. You can find it on Amazon and skim some pages to get an idea of its tone. My recommendation is just buy it.

-Gene L.
http://ttl-biz.com

Gene L.'s gear list:Gene L.'s gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 60Da Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads