My first wedding with 3 bodies (1Ds3,5D,D3)

Started Jun 2, 2008 | Discussions
em34com Junior Member • Posts: 34
My first wedding with 3 bodies (1Ds3,5D,D3)

http://www.pbase.com/eminilia/wedding_day
info under every picture

-- hide signature --

I will happy to answer for any questions
(maybe my experience will help for somebody)

Behind the scene

http://em34wedding.blogspot.com/2008/05/behind-scene-mekhala-james-saturday-may.html

6500 images for the whole day (me only) (8 hours)
after 12 days i leave only 1457 images
------
70% from 1457 - images from Nikon D3 with 85mm
other 30% from 5D and 1Ds3
------------
I hate files from 1Ds3

its really kill my time and my computer (core duo E8400,DDR2 4Gb Ram 4-4-4-12,139GB Raptor)
-------------
I spend 12 days to choosing and retouching
-------------
my cf cards
http://em34wedding.blogspot.com/2008/05/my-new-flash-cards.html

--
Emin

Todd Meucci Veteran Member • Posts: 4,078
Re: My first wedding with 3 bodies (1Ds3,5D,D3)

Did you really shoot a single photo every 4 seconds for 8 hours straight?

I don't think I could take that many photos at a week long mosquito counting event in the Florida Everglades...

24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,586

em34com wrote:
-may.html

6500 images for the whole day (me only) (8 hours)
after 12 days i leave only 1457 images
------
70% from 1457 - images from Nikon D3 with 85mm
other 30% from 5D and 1Ds3
------------
I hate files from 1Ds3

Emin

So are you trying to make a point? Why not just come out and say, "I've shot with all three cameras and I like the Nikon better." You're entitled to your opinion... don't have to impress us with numbers. (Also, was it maybe just the focal length that made the D3 a wiener that day?)
--
View my photo galleries here: http://imageevent.com/24peter

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
Daniel_Voges New Member • Posts: 15

From a wedding photog's view is it a wise decision to buy a 1DSIII if you have a 5D?.

maxz
maxz Veteran Member • Posts: 3,479
I don't get it

seems to me all you need is 2 D3s, a 85/1.4 and a 17-35.

Max

em34com wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/eminilia/wedding_day
info under every picture

maxz's gear list:maxz's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III Olympus TG-5 Nikon D90 Nikon D800 +66 more
OP em34com Junior Member • Posts: 34

I like Nikon D3 Better than any Canon camera (on June 1st 2008)

I like Canon lens 24L,35L,50L Better than any Nikon lens (in this focus length)(except 28 f1.4)(on June 1st 2008)

My average picture count for a day about 4000 (with 5D)

but Nikon memory buffer can shoot without stopping (in RAW) with a new Sandisc 16Gb card

-- hide signature --

Emin

evan Senior Member • Posts: 2,610
Nice work ...

How did you like the bokeh with your nikon 85 1.4 seems a little busy and not as smooth compared to the 85 1.2 L ??

-- hide signature --

Canon 1D Mark II N
30D (18-55mm) Kit Lens
Canon 24-70 2.8L USM
Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS
Canon 100-400L IS
Canon 16-35L 2.8
50mm F1.4
Canon 580 EX

mchahine Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: Nice work ...

I Do agree on that one

Nothing like a Bokeh from an 85mm 1.2L on a full frame.

Although i have to say... Superb photos

-- hide signature --

Mokhtar Chahine

On my taste canon 85LII better image details and bokeh

BUT i'm prefer OLD fast focusing Nikon 85 f1.4 because i can catch any important moment. Almost the same Canon 85LII works on 1D3 but 1D3 has a crop factor (this is not acceptable for me)
On 5D - 85LII focusing slowly than on a new 1d,1ds series
and two big minuses of Canon 85LII 1)size 2)weight

-- hide signature --

Emin

That's what the gym is for :D, to be able to carry the big guns

-- hide signature --

Mokhtar Chahine

Just in case
compare speed of CF cards for 1Ds3,5D and D3
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9256
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9255
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198
maybe you understand why 6500 pictures possible for 8 hours
It hard to image if you shooting with 5D

-- hide signature --

Emin

arriflex Regular Member • Posts: 129
mhh

boys and their toys.

fortunately "weddings" have been invented, so boys can show off their toys.

Re: mhh

its not a toys
This is my working tools
right now i try to choose the right camera
its hard to do just reading the forum

-- hide signature --

Emin

I used to go trigger happy in events as well. but someone once told me that thats cheating. He was kind of right to be honest. so i focused on getting the shot right from the first 2 or 3. makes life less miserable when filtering and editing them.

It's a good combo you got there with all the cameras. but the amount of photos u ended up with im not so sure about. just a waste of precious time. Think about i this way, u are saving time with ur writing speed. but u are not really saving time when it comes to editing and filtering them are you ? 12 days ? a bit too much in my opinion.

but it doesn't change the fact that they are nice photos. Personally i still see the image and colour quality on the Canon is better. but then again...thats just me :D. and probably everyone else in this forum...

-- hide signature --

Mokhtar Chahine

mpixel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,779

em34com wrote:
[...]

but Nikon memory buffer can shoot without stopping (in RAW) with a
new Sandisc 16Gb card

Now this made me laugh. How many shots do you have to shoot without stopping at a wedding?

-- hide signature --

Emin

-- hide signature --

GMT+1 (BST - Summertime)

arriflex Regular Member • Posts: 129
mhh

no offense but i bet you, in real life, it makes absolutely no difference which of the three cameras you use for a wedding, with a good lense even the 5d will deliver lowlight pictures that will make your clients happy.

Peter Gregg Veteran Member • Posts: 4,755

Had the 1D MK3 and the D3 at the same time for a period of time. I could choose what I wanted. I chose the D3. They are both quite close though, so no one needs to get their panties bunched up. Some things are done better by one and then the other comes back with it's counter. In the end, things like build quality, almost a stop better high ISO specifically at ISO 3200 and 6400, the 12mp full frame verses the 10mp 1.3 crop, and features caused me to settle on the D3.

The 5D is unique in that older technology with it's rally low price can get you 90 percent of the way there in picture quality, but it falls apart in focus ability and it not being a pro level camera. Heck even having dual card slots for a pro is an important discovery as you have a built in backup system fully operational. RAW's in slot 1 and JPG files on a 16GB card in slot 2. The backup covers the whole wedding.

The 5D upgrade may wind up being the sweet-spot camera beating all of them in everything except in it not being a pro level body, and it would be at a lower price. But we all have to wait and see on that one.

I shot a wedding Saturday where a few more guest photographers than normal showed up. The full range of cameras was represented from the 1Ds MK3 and down where there to 40Ds and a D300. 1D MK2n, 1D MK3, a few D3s and a 1Ds MK3 and lenses to go with them including the 85L II. The camera most desired by all of us was the D3 and the 84 1.4 won easily over the 85L II because of it's focus abilities. A little surprising i have to say, but that I found it particularly interesting to watch us all make selections, and the "can I use your D3 was the most popular sentence of the day. I own and use the D3, but am just as happy shooting with the 1D MK3, but still, the D3 went home with me

I should add that EVERYONE agreed that the Canon 35L and 24L are too important to be missing from the Nikon line-up. A deal killer for a few of us. But the 14-24 is an astounding crazy terrific lens on the Nikon side.

Peter

-- hide signature --

'Life is good - eternal life is better'

Peter Gregg's gear list:Peter Gregg's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Panasonic GH5 +1 more

I think that all depends from your shooting style

if you talking about posing pictures your are right (no difference between all 3 cameras) BUT if you want to catch the moment (you must pres a button before it happens) and hold it with a few seconds - you can do it only with Canon 1d3 or NikonD3 - this is my point of view (I'm talk about shooting in RAW)

-- hide signature --

Emin

psebi Contributing Member • Posts: 524

I looked at your website and you have some amazing photos. I really don't care that much what and how many body's you shoot as long as your photos look like this.
--
opinions are like @$$holes: everybody's got one and most of them stink
http://sebbastian.blogspot.com

psebi's gear list:psebi's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM
markleh Regular Member • Posts: 468
excellent

I concentrate on 1 camera and 1 lens but if you're comfortable with three cameras at the same time and if the result is that good then you are doing fine.

the album? matted or flush?

great shots, bravo.

LOL , the guys shooting Fuji S2 used to spend a lot less time processing ..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads