New Epson R2880 printer: 13" with Vivid Magenta K3

Started May 23, 2008 | Discussions
Eric Chan Senior Member • Posts: 2,800
New Epson R2880 printer: 13" with Vivid Magenta K3

Here you go:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63075040

Brief notes:

• Can be viewed as successor to R2400

• Vivid Magenta K3 ink set

• Includes Radiance tech, similar to R1900

• Still has Advanced B&W printing mode, as before

• First glance at specs shows that manual switching between PK and MK still required.

SantaFeBill Senior Member • Posts: 2,580
Re: New Epson R2880 printer: 13

Also supports printing on CDs and DVDs.

Can a 3880 be far behind? I hope not.

SantaFeBill Senior Member • Posts: 2,580
Re: New Epson R2880 printer: More importantly ...

It has the same Epson PreciseColor technology as the wide-format professional printers.

For details on PreciseColor see

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ProImaging/EpsonInnovations.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0032350800.1211546764@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdeadeeegieihmcgemcfjgdfljdfon.0&cookies=no&invMoreInfo=EpsonInvPreciseColorManufacturing

Also mentioned is a 'mist collection system'. No more sponges?

If this printer turns out to be as good in reality as looks on paper, IMHO Epson has a blow-out product.

NielsN Junior Member • Posts: 41

Manual switch according to the manual. ??
No good Carry on Nothing to see here
Niels

NielsN's gear list:NielsN's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,220

I'll second that motion; I just stepped up to a 7880 and with a calibrated monitor, the canned printer profiles from manufacturers are so good, I finding don't need print profiling hw/sw unless I a) want to squeeze out minor improved precision based on environmental factors or I am using non-Epson inks and odd papers. So when a paper manufacturer profiles their paper on one of these printers (assuming you like their profiles), you can rely on the canned profiles for the most part and get very good screen to print matching using only the canned profiles and a calibrated monitor.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +19 more
flbrit Veteran Member • Posts: 4,050
Lack of on board Black Switching

It appears that this is not a feature. This is a real disapointment. I was really looking forward to that feature.

I read somewhere that some people are printing BW and not switching the black tanks on existing Epsons. Does anyone have experience of this?

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +8 more
Joe Regular Member • Posts: 177

I agree. Nothing to see here. Certianly was looking for not having to swap blacks and a gloss optimizer.

Tom-C Senior Member • Posts: 1,232
Re: New Epson R2880 printer: 13" with Vivid Magenta K3
 Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
OP Eric Chan Senior Member • Posts: 2,800

One thing I am pleased to see is the Radiance tech. I've seen this so far on the R1900 and am impressed with the smoothness of color transitions, a big step up from the 3800 IMO. I expect the R2880 to be as good in this regard.
--
Eric Chan
http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/photos/
http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/index.html

colourgeek
colourgeek Veteran Member • Posts: 3,583

Eric Chan wrote:

One thing I am pleased to see is the Radiance tech. I've seen this so
far on the R1900 and am impressed with the smoothness of color
transitions, a big step up from the 3800 IMO. I expect the R2880 to
be as good in this regard.

What exactly is Radiance tecnology, and where did you notice the biggest differences?

Is it certain colours in overprinting, or just solids, or only certain areas at certain resolutions?

Is it something Epson will put in all printers or is it something that is suited for short viewing distances such as 8x10 prints or less?

-- hide signature --

Neil Snape photographer Paris printer reviews at http://www.neilsnape.com

thx1138
thx1138 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,159
Bitterly disappointing effort

Joe wrote:

I agree. Nothing to see here. Certianly was looking for not having
to swap blacks and a gloss optimizer.

Absolutely pathetic to still have to switch blacks manually and the ink cartridge sizes are a sick joke. This is clearly a deliberate effort to extract as much money as possible from us for ink.

I await the 3880 and will continue with my R2400 for the foreseeable future.

dealy663 Contributing Member • Posts: 500
So Disappointing

I just don't know what Epson is thinking about here. Ink waste and black cartridge swapping are the biggest shortcomings of Epson printers. They've got some really great technology delivering wonderful prints, that are pretty robust.

But they insist on pi$$ing their customers off with the ink waste. Its maddening. 11ml cartdridges, what a freakin joke! This all seems like a blatant attempt to squeeze as much money as possible from people.
--
Derek

Weblog at:
http://www.grandprixsw.com/WordPress

SigmaDelta10 Regular Member • Posts: 309
Re: So Disappointing

Hear hear !!!

Especially coming from a USA citizen.

If you feel disappointed just think how non-USA folks feel paying double the price for all this black gold business.

Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,450
When will we see the new 3880?

The R2880 is in my opinion a solution looking for a problem. We own the 2400 and it is, bar none one of the best printers in its class. Unfortunately, it is hampered by the cartridge size, need to swap blacks, and the 13" carriage. The big question is when will the updated 3800 come out. That will be something to look at.

Some will ask, why did Epson just repackage the R2400 in a new case and update the inkset ever so slighty? Answers: 1) Marketing - Epson can market the printer as "new", 2) Product life cycle - the R2400 has reached its ROI, see 1, 3) Improve profits - by releasing a new inkset, Epson sends a discrete message to cartridge counterfeiters and CIS system manufacturers. Since they make most of their money on the ink, Epson stays one step ahead.

Miralee Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: So Disappointing AND so unacceptable for a lot of us that

many of us have two options left : maybe turn to HP if we want pigment ink, or give up printing!! Is HP more fair-minded than those Epson ? And what about HP IQ etc. etc?

(I can see the evening awaiting me: in front of this screen seeing what HP has to offer - but it's almost 99 % sure that as far as I'm concerned it's ADIEU Epson!!

Vibrio Veteran Member • Posts: 4,004
R2400 with different inkset

not really a worth while upgrade for any R2400 owner but nice to see some upgrade I suppose. wonder what the price will be?

good time to buy an R2400

-- hide signature --

http://blog.quantum-capture.co.uk/

update 26.04.08 - art nude shot behind he scenes
13.05.08 - Where to buy your Fine art paper

Scott Weierich Senior Member • Posts: 2,100

I mentioned this back nearly 2 months ago.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1003&message=27458408&q=epson+2880&qf=m

Eric Chan wrote:

Here you go:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63075040

Brief notes:

• Can be viewed as successor to R2400

• Vivid Magenta K3 ink set

• Includes Radiance tech, similar to R1900

• Still has Advanced B&W printing mode, as before

• First glance at specs shows that manual switching between PK and MK

still required.

-- hide signature --

Scott

David_C Contributing Member • Posts: 931
OK Scott - So what does Epson have next

Scott Weierich wrote:

I mentioned this back nearly 2 months ago.

When I saw the post about this new printer I though, OK maybe I will get the R2880, but that was before I realized the waste of changing black inks and the size of the ink tanks.

What can Epson be thinking, do they think we are fools?

Come on HP, bring us some Epson killers.

Dave

Miralee Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: OK Scott - So what does Epson have next. So HP isn't up to Epson?

re : "Come on HP, bring us some Epson killers."

What a disappointment to read above!
I was hoping that HP already had some of those!!

OP Eric Chan Senior Member • Posts: 2,800
Re: New Epson R2880 printer: 13

SantaFeBill wrote:

Also supports printing on CDs and DVDs.

Can a 3880 be far behind? I hope not.

I have not heard of a 3880.

Given that the R2400 preceded the 3800, I would guess the R2880 will precede a 3800 replacement. If I had to guess, Photokina.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads