Another help with tripod thread

Started May 22, 2008 | Discussions
monkeyrpn Regular Member • Posts: 106
Another help with tripod thread

Hi all,

I'm a new S5Pro owner~ I need help with picking out a tripod for the new camera. I have no experience with buying tripods for cameras of this calibre... I used to use a cheap $20 tripod for my old s6000fd (which works great!). I'm unsure that tripod can hold the weight of the S5Pro... it's about 3 lbs with the Sigma 18-200mm attached to it.

I've search the forum.. and many talks about tripod brands like Gitzo, Bogen, etc... but I looked at these on B&H and they're really pricey! Can anyone recommend any lower priced tripod suitable for my needs? I try to take my tripod everywhere in case I want myself to be in the photo also. So I'm hoping for something light and easy to carry around too.

Thank so much.

-- hide signature --

BigPixel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,371
Re: Another help with tripod thread

The question you have to ask is, "How important is my work to me?"

The best advice anyone could give is buy a really good tripod even if you think you can't rationalize it. $300-$600 should get you a nice carbon fiber tripod, less if you shop eBay. Put a ball head on it and you'll literally be set for life. What will you accomplish if you economize on a tripod that delivers vibration, is not staable and probably too heavy to carry around? nada.
BigPixel / Hawaii

Bad Pic kev Veteran Member • Posts: 8,759
how much tripod do i need

a good safe rule of thumb is twice the holding capacity than what you need.

so your 3 pounds would be 6 pounds for tripod and head.

so the tripod alone needs to carry the tripod head as well as camera, lens and flash.

so you need a head that can hold 6-8 pounds and a tripod that can hold 8-12.

you can shop on ebay for a company called amvona. good gear at a great price.

if case you are wondering i have a berlebach tripod and an an amvona ball head. the tripod was about $185 and the ball head was $45 shipped.
Every memory of looking out the back door
I had the photo album spread out on my bedroom floor
It's hard to say it, time to say it
Goodbye, goodbye

Bad Pic kev's gear list:Bad Pic kev's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Artichoke Forum Pro • Posts: 12,409
BPk is right: get a woodie

Bad Pic kev wrote:

if case you are wondering i have a berlebach tripod and an an amvona
ball head. the tripod was about $185 and the ball head was $45

Berlebach tripods are well built, dampen vibrations superbly and very comfortable to use in the cold ...I love mine, though it is heavier than my carbon fiber Gitzo, which I use now only for travel ...the difference in weight is not really all that great as mine has a leveling head built in which adds to its weight, but which I find very useful ...the particular Gitzo model folds smaller as I opted for the 2 section Berlebach to maximize stability
they are very good value as well

check out their line ...the wood they use is lovely and feels nice to the hand as well
pbase & dpreview supporter
DPR forum member since 5/2001

Artichoke's gear list:Artichoke's gear list
Agfa ePhoto 1680 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Leica M8 Nikon D3X Leica M9 +13 more
Robert Spencer Veteran Member • Posts: 7,503
-- hide signature --

this is the one I like best. Not only does it pertain to the tripod but I think to all photo equipment purchases. Take care. Bob

Visit my galleries at:

Consensus Trance Regular Member • Posts: 342
I agree with Bad Pic Kev

that a good safe rule of thumb is to get twice the holding capacity than what you need

The only other advice I really have is to get something with a quick release plate. Nothing is more frustrating than missing a shot because you're fiddling around with threading the camera to the tripod.

Generally, tripods with fewer leg sections are the most stable even though they don't fold up as small. I prefer tripods with only 3 leg sections. I also like tripods with a center column because it helps me quickly choose the right angle. But some photographers don't like center columns because they're a bit less stable. These pointss are just a matter of opinion and everybody will have a different preference.

Right now I've got a Gitzo 3530 with an RRS ballhead and L plates. It's really nice

but it cost me like 1300 bucks with a case, plate and everything. That's kinda ridiculous. I carried an old bogen for 12 years that worked just fine and it only cost me a few hundred bucks when I bought it.

Here's the bogen I used for many years:

elbow bracket:
cable release

It's a nice tripod for the money! You might find some tripods for cheaper but I think that particular Bogen is the minimum quality that I'd feel safe buying. It's very stable, reasonably priced, and it should last for many years even with some abuse. I really think a photographer needs to spend 200-300 dollars to get a decent tripod. If you don't have that kind of money then it might be a good idea to save up for awhile.

Hope that helps...good luck with your decision

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads