Short screws in new Nikon 24-70 G lens

Started May 21, 2008 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Neil Contributing Member • Posts: 624
Short screws in new Nikon 24-70 G lens

My camera technician advised me prior to purchasing this lens to change the screws in the bayonet mount to longer ones prior to using it. Also to use Loctite to retain them. The screws can break easily and the lens become detached and fall. If you havent done this yet hold the camera with the lens supported in one hand. Check the other posts in here on the subject. This could save you many dollars!

Neil

Neil's gear list:Neil's gear list
Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Leica M Typ 240 Nikon D810 Leica M-P (Typ 240) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +4 more
Ilkka Nissilä Veteran Member • Posts: 4,107
Re: Short screws in new Nikon 24-70 G lens

Neil wrote:

My camera technician advised me prior to purchasing this lens to
change the screws in the bayonet mount to longer ones prior to using
it. Also to use Loctite to retain them. The screws can break easily
and the lens become detached and fall. If you havent done this yet
hold the camera with the lens supported in one hand. Check the other
posts in here on the subject. This could save you many dollars!

Since this is a design defect there should be no problem obtaining a repair under warranty. Of course it's better not to have the lens fall in the first place, but using Loctite might make future repairs more difficult.

Does Nikon give information about which screws to replace the original ones with?

In any case holding the camera+lens just from the camera seems like a stupid idea. However, when operating the rig on a tripod, the lens will obviously not be supported except from the mount.

Neil OP Contributing Member • Posts: 624

Of course it is not desirable to have to make changes to a brand new lens! But I am grateful that I was shown broken ones and warned first. If you exchange the screws then you wont have any problems but if you dont..........good luck It might never happen to your lens. I just believe it is better to be safe than sorry.
Neil

Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Leica M Typ 240 Nikon D810 Leica M-P (Typ 240) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +4 more

The screw problems with this lens are all over the internet - just Google them:

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Nw2J

Cheers
Neil

nosauten Regular Member • Posts: 419

Wow. I'm glad I didn't buy that lens yet. It was on my list of to-get lenses. Perhaps I'll get a third party one. Yea, if the Nikkor falls apart Nikon will fix it, but it's the trouble of sending it in that I'm not looking forward to. You have to ship it in, wait for them to fix it, and wait for it to come back.

Neil wrote:

The screw problems with this lens are all over the internet - just
Google them:

Cheers
Neil

daniel raithby Regular Member • Posts: 152

i did buy that lens.

Is this something you can take to nikon and have them replace the short screws with longer ones?

seems crazy they haven't acknowledged this prob yet unless it is a very isolated issue.
--
Nikon D3
50mm F1.4 Nikkor
85mm F1.4 Nikkor
24-70mm F2.8 Nikkor
200mm F4 Nikkor Micro
70-200 F2.8 VR Nikkor
400 F2.8 AFSII Nikkor
Nikon TC14E2 TC17E2
3 Nikon SB800's
SU800
Nikon R1 Wireless Macro flash
Fuji S3 Pro IR converted

I wouldnt hold off buying the lens for the problem screw reason alone. Optically it is superb and I am very pleased with the results it delivers with my D3! Just a matter of exchanging a few screws in the bayonet mount and then retaining them. The combination of the D3 and the 24-70 gives awesome results.
Neil

Hi Daniel,

I believe that Nikon will eventually acknowledge and address the issue. In the meantime I will find out the exact screw information that my technician recommends in exchange and post it here. I consider myself fortunate to have seen what can happen in his repair room prior to purchasing mine. No need to panic but I would be careful when using the lens and particularly leaving the camera & lens on a tripod unattended. By the way, the technician who advised me is both Leica and Hasselblad factory trained and really knows his craft. If this post saves the sorrow from just one persons dropping their lens than it has been worth it. The lens quality other than this problem is outstanding.
Neil

Zorpie Senior Member • Posts: 2,836
Details ??

Hello Neil,

I own this lens and have seen the reports of the damage that can occur with only a minor impact to the lens body whilst mounted on the camera. However - there seemed to be some debate about the fact that longer screws may not be the solution here. I am not debating that as I have no engineering qualifications or skills - I would be much more open to accepting advice from a qualified lens technician who knows about the problem - and a possible solution.

Could I ask that you then come back to this thread as regards what the details of the recommended replacement (longer) screws would be as I would rather obtain these and fit them - than take the chance of this damage happening to my 24-70 and having to send it back to Nikon - based upon the fact that prevention is a much better option than cure after the damage has occurred !!

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Zorpie

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/zorpie

If it seems too good to be true - then it isn't. If you cannot believe your eyes - then don't.

Re: Details ??

Hi Zorpie,

I will text message my technician tomorrow and ask him to forward his exact solution details and post them when he returns my message. He insisted that I bring my lens in prior to using it.

His exact words were "dont use it until you see me..." I doubted him a little at first and thought that Nikon may address it in newer productions. But then I saw these posts start to spring up over the internet!

The changeover screws only take minutes to replace and are of better quality he is confident that there will be no mount problems after replacement. That includes any further service requirements in the future.
Neil

CJ NYC Contributing Member • Posts: 949

Just subscribing to the thread - thanks!

Fostereast Contributing Member • Posts: 974

Unless you are going to test it, or Nikon approves this update, it's a questionable solution. It may also void a warranty repair.

Sorry to sound negative, it may very well be the correct fix, but ...

Thom Hogan Forum Pro • Posts: 13,659

Neil wrote:

and the lens become detached and fall.

And I'm pretty sure that's by design. Consider the alternative: you drop your gear and the lens does not naturally break at the mount. The net result is that your camera mount will be pulled out of alignment (or off, as happened to one of my students) and the internals of the lens distorted so as to require all new cams and other parts. There's a very delicate balance you want to have on big lenses between mount stiffness and mount breakaway. One can question whether Nikon is slightly too much to one side or the other of that delicate balance on any individual lens, but they're not far off. Reinforcing the mount as you suggest would make other, more expensive parts of your lens and camera more vulnerable to damage in a drop.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (18 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

Micro32 Senior Member • Posts: 1,193

Thom Hogan wrote:

And I'm pretty sure that's by design. Consider the alternative: you
drop your gear and the lens does not naturally break at the mount.
The net result is that your camera mount will be pulled out of
alignment (or off, as happened to one of my students) and the
internals of the lens distorted so as to require all new cams and
other parts. There's a very delicate balance you want to have on big
lenses between mount stiffness and mount breakaway. One can question
whether Nikon is slightly too much to one side or the other of that
delicate balance on any individual lens, but they're not far off.
Reinforcing the mount as you suggest would make other, more expensive
parts of your lens and camera more vulnerable to damage in a drop.

I respectfully disagree with you that it is by design, especially good design. It's odd that after 40+ years of using the F mount Nikon would make such a drastic "design change" as this. If this is the future of Nikkor lenses than there are going to be a lot of D2s and and D3 bodies falling off of long lenses at sporting events. I would rather have it as an all or nothing design. If you abuse it it breaks instead of falling apart under normal use.

xrdbear Veteran Member • Posts: 3,901

Thom, if the experience of the guy at the quoted message

is true then he has stripped threads but the parts have yet to separate. If that is the case his lens has probably not had a fall and it suggests that the overtorquing scenario, that I proposed in another thread, is probably true and that this will turn out to be a batch problem.

Thom Hogan wrote:

Neil wrote:

and the lens become detached and fall.

The net result is that your camera mount will be pulled out of
alignment (or off, as happened to one of my students) and the
internals of the lens distorted so as to require all new cams and
other parts. There's a very delicate balance you want to have on big
lenses between mount stiffness and mount breakaway. One can question
whether Nikon is slightly too much to one side or the other of that
delicate balance on any individual lens, but they're not far off.
Reinforcing the mount as you suggest would make other, more expensive
parts of your lens and camera more vulnerable to damage in a drop.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (18 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

-- hide signature --

Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/
Pbase gallery Pictures from Isle of Skye
http://www.pbase.com/xrdbear

Re: Details ??

The changeover screws only take minutes to replace and are of better
quality he is confident that there will be no mount problems after
replacement. That includes any further service requirements in the
future.
Neil

well at least in some of the cases reported so far, the screws are in fact intact. What breaks is the part they screw into that loses threads or breaks. If this is the case, then longer screws won't help.

In any case if this thing does happen I hope the dropping lens doesn't develop other problems in impact.

Thom that is good logical reasoning but........

why does it not happen to other Nikon lenses such as the 28-70 etc which are even heavier? I used to have a tripod that, with a heavy lens mounted would drop forward occasionally in the studio with the 150 or 250 lenses on my Hasselblad and sometimes the heavier Nikkors (I know I know). Never any problems like this.

I have seen nor ever heard of this happening so often to one model. I also believe we may hear of a lot more instances in the near future. Lets hope not. Obviously all camera equipment should be treated carefully but in the mean time keep a close eye on the screws in this particular lens I reckon. Please don't get me wrong, apart from that I think the lens is a gem.
Thanks,
Neil

Thom Hogan wrote:

This was my first impression too: they make the lens mount deliberately "the weak point" of the rig so that when there is impact, it reduces the effect of the impact on critical parts of the optics and the camera.

However, Nikon has made poorly designed mechanics in the past. Remember the infamous 300mm f/4 AF-S tripod collar. Can't see any justification for that.

Higuma MOD Veteran Member • Posts: 4,418
I will be happy...

I will be happy to check directly with the Nikon Service Center here in Sapporo Japan within the next 24- 48 hours...

If there is any sort of official word or fix solution that is "authorized" then they will be able to tell me directly - - forbearing that I would hesitate to be putting longer screws into my lens based on a Technician in Australia's advice... no offense to the OP or his "source"....

If the guys at the Nikon Service center don't know about it then "caveat emptor"...

BTW - I agree with Thom that items like lenses have crumple zones / shear points engineered into them to avoid damage to more precise and delicate components... & I don't believe that Thom was saying that this "IS" the case here but just speculating that it "COULD BE"....

Cheers...

No offence to me...........

or my technician - mine is secure

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads