Is Gary Friedman's A700 book worth it

Started May 15, 2008 | Discussions
Wayne W Forum Member • Posts: 99
Is Gary Friedman's A700 book worth it

Hi

just purchased an A700 and was wondering if this book is worth it. Does it give more detail and more tricks, secrets than sony manual?

Thanks

wayne

garykohs
garykohs Veteran Member • Posts: 5,400
Re: Is Gary Friedman's A700 book worth it

It's more than worth it. Gary's insights are invaluable and it's a good read.

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +7 more
Eswill Theron Regular Member • Posts: 111

How about the A100 book? Still a few $$ away from the A700 and always learning!

Johncc Regular Member • Posts: 106
Absolutely

10 out of 10

Mahmou A Samra
Mahmou A Samra Regular Member • Posts: 136

Yes, yes, yes. Download it for only $30.00 with updates. He stated in the book about a tip he gave, that that tip is worth the price of the book. Guess what? he was right.
--
mahmoud

EPate Regular Member • Posts: 350

Have any of you tried the tudorial dvd set by Elite Video for A700? I would like to learn all about this camera and don't know exactly how to go about it.
Do you prefer this book (Gary Friedman) to the above mentioned?
--
EP

ivanwatkins Contributing Member • Posts: 939
Put it like this.

Let's just put it like this. When I bought my A100 it was my first time ever in life using a DSLR. I had no idea what an Fstop was. This was only 2 years ago when I was a clean slate as far as "real" photography is concerned. Gary's book was MY first teacher and it helped paved the way to my current level of understanding. Buy it.
--
Ivan
http://www.ivanwatkins.com

kitman New Member • Posts: 24
Re: Put it like this.

i have just downloaded the book a couple of days back and it is indeed highly recommended. lots of insight not only on the camera but also on photography. there are some sample pages posted at his site and also the full content of the book. check it out

NAMouradian New Member • Posts: 22

I have both the Elite Video and the Gary Friedman book. They are both good but the book by Friedman is far superior. I highly recommend it. I have downloaded both the A100 and A700 books. They are excellent.

plevyadophy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,258

Wayne W wrote:

Hi
just purchased an A700 and was wondering if this book is worth it.
Does it give more detail and more tricks, secrets than sony manual?

Thanks

wayne

I was gonna write a review of his book, but unfortunately it is something that I have put on the back burner.

I think there are number of areas where it could do with improvements, however, overall it is worth the money, especially if you also buy the two companion publications.

His publications (along with the articles published by Mr Kilpatrick) are the best you're gonna find on the alpha system. And don't forget that Mr Friedman has been using the KM/alpha system for some considerable time so, due to his wealth of experience, can provide readers with insights/short cuts that most of us would take ages to discover.

Additionally, he provides extremely useful info on photography generally and applies that to the controls and option available on the alpha cameras.

Don't hesitate, buy the book. You won't regret it.

dipak Contributing Member • Posts: 667

Good to know, so guessing that A300 book would be equally good. He has now A300 and A350 combined book and almost downloaded. Does anyone here has A300 book? How is it?
Thanks...

lonewolf69 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,374

Yes, I have his A100, A700, 25 ways to WOW and advanced topics, and they are ALL worth the money...

FWIW - I tried some of the tutorial DVDs they are nice but the BOOK is so much better. Gary's writing style is very VERY easy, and not to insult nor to downplay him, they are like the "Dummy" style books and are VERY VERY easy and fun to read and you get so much from them...

don't BUY the DVD's, rent them if you must, I have yet to find a DVD that's more informative and better at informing a 1st time dSLR user than Gary Friedman's library!!!

-- hide signature --

-Alex

From the minds of Minolta to the imagination of Sony, Alpha, like no other.

http://www.pbase.com/lonewolf69

lonewolf69's gear list:lonewolf69's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 +2 more
pako
pako Senior Member • Posts: 2,004
Re: Workshops and Safaris

For those who lives in the USA West Coast, try to get to one of his Workshops (more info in his website) I know He's organizing a Photographic Safari to
this year too...
--
Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
http://www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony a7R Sony a7S II Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
USACanuck Senior Member • Posts: 1,270
Re: Workshops and Safaris

pako wrote:

For those who lives in the USA West Coast, try to get to one of his
Workshops (more info in his website) I know He's organizing a
Photographic Safari to
this year too...
--
Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
http://www.phototeka.net

I would, just don't have the cash $$$$!!

-- hide signature --

'I reject your reality and substitute my own' -Adam Savage
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrnoronha/sets/

Ron E Trees Veteran Member • Posts: 3,944

I need to get the book. I have read many positive things about it. I did just check on the price. At the link that he gives on his website, the colored version of this book will cost you $100. WOW, that was a bit more than I expected. The downloaded version may have to do.

Ron

Ron E Trees's gear list:Ron E Trees's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR
chkmail Junior Member • Posts: 25

Yes! I just purchased it last week. The book provides more detail instruction than the Sony manual. It also covers some basic photography such as f-stop. shutter speed, composition, lighting, etc. It also provides some recommended settings on the a700. I think it is a great book.

lordvik New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Is Gary Friedman's A300 book worth it

I just bought his A300/350 book. Definitely worth the $19.95

I just bought my first dslr, and the sony manual, to me, is written in a foreign lanaguage! Gary's book is written in english and definitely helped me.

Vik

ER_ Wizard
ER_ Wizard Forum Pro • Posts: 10,663
Just parted with 24.95, server reset, lost download :-(

Based on the possitive posts I just parted with 24.95. the sever reset, I lost the link (very slow download). Mailed Gary, hope he has a solution.

Regards.

Ernest
--

May the Focus be with you

ER_ Wizard's gear list:ER_ Wizard's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD
nbercasio Senior Member • Posts: 2,498

IT IS THE ONLY BOOK you need....

Wayne W wrote:

Hi
just purchased an A700 and was wondering if this book is worth it.
Does it give more detail and more tricks, secrets than sony manual?

Thanks

wayne

-- hide signature --

My 2007 Sony Alpha Showcase
http://www.bercasio.com/photos/2007/Showcase/

'It is between me, my Alpha and the world out there. It is quite therapeutic.'
'Quality than quantity.'

roweraay Senior Member • Posts: 2,102
He will get back

Yes, he will get back to you soon. My A700 book did not come across fully and I wrote to him. He got back to me with an emailed link, which I clicked on and completed my download smoothly.

ER_ Wizard wrote:

Based on the possitive posts I just parted with 24.95. the sever
reset, I lost the link (very slow download). Mailed Gary, hope he has
a solution.

Regards.

Ernest
--

May the Focus be with you

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads