How difficult a decision is this? 11-22mm vs. 9-18mm

Started May 13, 2008 | Discussions
RNCJr Regular Member • Posts: 273
How difficult a decision is this? 11-22mm vs. 9-18mm

Friends--

The current availability & known quality of the 11-22 and the as yet uncertain/untested virtues of the 9-18mm notwithstanding, the announced pricing seems to put these two lenses in a near dead heat when the 9-18 becomes available this fall. My supposition is that the 9-18mm will have a street price somewat lower than the advertised $599 MSRP...and it's conceivable that the price of the 11-22 could drop as well. This, IMHO, makes for a difficult decision for those like myself who cannot (or will not) swing for the fences with the 7-14mm.

Assuming that the eventual pricing for both lenses is near enough--say $150--to make both worthy of consideration, which one would you go for and why? The speed and known qualities (IQ, weather-sealing, etc.) of the 11-22, or the considerably wider if slower 9-18 (assuming the IQ is solid)?

-- hide signature --

Bob C

photo_owl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,455
you have listed the differences

and individuals will select based on thier needs.

the 70-300 has pleasantly surprised, and both the 14-42 and 40-150 have surprised many, so I don't think we ahould be surprised if the new lens is nice and sharp.

distortion may be another thing, as will CA, but we will have to wait and see. Contrast is likely to be down a little from the 11-22 but again lets wait and see.

-- hide signature --

• enjoy your camera equipment -

photo_owl's gear list:photo_owl's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus E-M1 +8 more
James Sherman
James Sherman Senior Member • Posts: 2,480
Re: How difficult a decision is this? 11-22mm vs. 9-18mm

The 11-22 is an amazing piece of glass. It's reasonably fast, razor sharp, weatherproof, etc., etc. It's also designed to be a pro lens. The 9-18 will be slower, not weatherproofed, built light and - face it - built cheaper. It's not a pro lens, you can tell it's consumer grade by the label on it if nothing else.

I expect that the 9-18 will drop in price without materially hurting the 11-22's price. Unless Olympus has pulled off a freakishly good job of design and managed to produce (somehow) superlative IQ from a consumer grade lens, I don't think the lenses will really compete.

That doesn't mean I'm knocking the 9-18 - I WANT one. It'll fit my bag, suits me with its' lighter weight and really give me serious wide when I need it. But I'm not tempted to swap my 12-60 for an 18-180. I look at that as my main lens. The others, 9-18 and 70-300 are "specialty" lenses and not used nearly as much or in ugly conditions. Who wants to use a long telephoto in the rain? Same with landscape shooting - not often. Adding the 9-18 gives me coverage I miss occasionally from selling my 11-22 (plus!!!) and I hope it'll turn out to be worth all the drooling.

James Sherman's gear list:James Sherman's gear list
Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
Charles Nguyen Senior Member • Posts: 1,068
if 9-18mm as good as 14-42

I'm buying it.

RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 26,569
The 11-22 wasn't on my radar anymore

Because I got the 7-14 mm eventually.

But indeed, when some people want to go wider and the price on the 11-22 suffers, I might be tempted to get that one anyway... It's not a range I have not already covered, but becoming more and more of a WA-person, I think it would be a great walkaround.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
--
member of UK (and abroad) Photo Safari Group ( http://www.ukphotosafari.org )

UKPSG presents a Tunisia E-3 user field report: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

BigMike1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,189
9-18mm could be very sharp. Who knows?

Just because a lens doesn't do f/2.8 and it's not weather sealed doesn't mean that it can't be very sharp.

If the new lens has quality optics, then the only reason to go with the 11-22 is if you really need the extra f-stop.

You will all just have to wait and see.
--
Big Mike
http://www.bigmikephotoblog.com

Juergen Hahn Contributing Member • Posts: 851

I think that this is a tough decision to make, especially since there are other factors involved that are hard to quantify.

Olympus has made a marketing decision to focus their current investment on the consumer level. The result was that they have introduced two good cameras, the E-4x0 and E-5x0, and have a complete set of consumer grade lenses now (9-18, 14-42, 40-150, 70-300, 35), most of which have been introduced/upgraded within the last 12-18 months.

The ironic part of this is that the consumer grade lenses now cover a much wider range and have less "overlap" than the pro lens lines. The consumer grade lenses get you from 9-300mm while the pro lenses only go from 11-200. Also, there is significant overlap between the 12-60 and the 11-22, and the 14-54 is also covered by the 12-60 (I do not want to comment on price, size, weight here).

I think it will be interesting to see what Olympus will focus on next. This is not meant as wild speculation, however, I am quite certain that the consumer line (both bodies and lenses) will only need to be maintained (but not expanded) over the next year or two. That begs the question what new developments will focus on.

Juergen Hahn's gear list:Juergen Hahn's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +2 more
photo_owl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,455
more like 7-283mm

many would argue the 7-14 is a bit of a dual role lens that could have been placed in either section but for marketing reasons got into the top pro - and the 50-200 + ec14 gives you 283 at a v useable f4.9.

overall though I agree that once lenses like the 12-60 get introduced a once clear cut 'range' can look very fragmented very quickly!

nice to have choices but a little frustrating when 'building a system' slowly.

-- hide signature --

• enjoy your camera equipment -

photo_owl's gear list:photo_owl's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus E-M1 +8 more
Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,927
I think you have to consider

I look at it this way
you have the 'standard grade' lenses, pretty well filled out
then the 'old line' pro: 11-22, 14-54, 50-200
and the 'new line': 12-60, 50-200
then of course the top pro, starting w the 7-14

The 11-22 still has a place tho, as it is so well corrected... we have yet to see how the 9-18 fairs in this aspect, and it may not replace the 11-22 or the 7-14...
End result, you'll need all of the above, as each fills a different niche.

-- hide signature --

Art P

Select images may be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8131242@N04/

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,551

RNCJr wrote:

Friends--

The current availability & known quality of the 11-22 and the as yet
uncertain/untested virtues of the 9-18mm notwithstanding, the
announced pricing seems to put these two lenses in a near dead heat
when the 9-18 becomes available this fall. My supposition is that
the 9-18mm will have a street price somewat lower than the advertised
$599 MSRP...and it's conceivable that the price of the 11-22 could
drop as well. This, IMHO, makes for a difficult decision for those
like myself who cannot (or will not) swing for the fences with the
7-14mm.

The 11-22mm has always been something of an odd duck, and I wouldn't be surprised if it disappears from the catalog silently one of these days.

I also wonder how long the 14-54mm will last also, but I suspect until the 12-60mm comes down in price (and something is done about the SRF-11 ring flash), the 14-54mm may be more guaranteed of a place in the line up.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 16,159

Since I already own an 11-22, my calculus will be solely revolve around whether the new lens provides function and utility I don't now possess (and can it possibly substitute for the 7-14's $iren call).

9mm versus 11 will be notably, significantly wider, so there's that. Light weight and compactness are always beneficial for toting and hiking, so there's that as well.

The 11-22's modest 2x zoom range helps make it the nearly flaw-free lens that it is. I'd be quite surprised if the new lens is similarly free from optical oddities--in particular, what will be the light falloff in the corners and distortion at 9mm?

Regardless, kudos to Oly for thinking of the folks who don't have thousands to invest in glass. This should really expand a lot of folk's vision and capabilities.

-- hide signature --

Rick

patf Forum Member • Posts: 58

RNCJr wrote:

The current availability & known quality of the 11-22 and the as yet
uncertain/untested virtues of the 9-18mm notwithstanding, the
announced pricing seems to put these two lenses in a near dead heat
when the 9-18 becomes available this fall.

The MSRP of the 11-22 was $950 in 2004 dollars. I don't think they will end up in the same price range, during the early adopters phase it might be somewhat close.

acwalbur Veteran Member • Posts: 4,640
9-18 pairs nicely with us 14-54 owners....

11-22 gap is wide enough to be a substantial difference from the 14-54 (3 mm wider, 8 mm overlap)

9-18 gap is even better compared to the 14-54 (5 mm wider, 4 mm overlap)

You will probably be able to get the 9-18 & 14-54 for the price of the 12-60. Of course if you need weather sealing or f/2.8 @ 11 mm, then the choice is clear.

-- hide signature --

Good shooting.

• Adam

Equipment in plan

acwalbur Veteran Member • Posts: 4,640

Skeeterbytes wrote:

The 11-22's modest 2x zoom range helps make it the nearly flaw-free
lens that it is. I'd be quite surprised if the new lens is similarly
free from optical oddities--in particular, what will be the light
falloff in the corners and distortion at 9mm?

The 9-18 is also a 2x lens, although in a much different focal range that presumably makes lens design more difficult. Perhaps the starting aperture is also an indication as a compromise to cover up light fall-off (conjecture here).

-- hide signature --

Good shooting.

• Adam

Equipment in plan

OP RNCJr Regular Member • Posts: 273
Re: 9-18 pairs nicely with us 14-54 owners....

Friends--

[Addenda: I'd left out a few critical words in my original post on the potential pricing of both the 11-22 and the 9-18. I'd meant to convey that if the price difference between the two was, say, $150 or less, with the 11-22 remaining the more expensive of the two, that gap might be narrow enough to keep both under consideration depending on what the purchaser wants and the real/perceived advantages of each lens. Put another way, if I'm prepared to pay the $600 or so advertised MSRP the new 9-18 commands, for example, then I'm also equally prepared to pay the $675 for a new 11-22 (B&H price) for all intents and purposes.]

Thanks to all who have commented so far, and while I appreciate in particular the notions offered by James and Adam, many of you have given me more to think about.

I already have both the 14-54mm and 50-200mm (pre-SWD) lenses, and have not sought to replace either with the 12-60 or "new" 50-200, respectively. But I had been thinking of adding the 11-22mm to round out my stable of lenses to get more of a true WA capability. Given the 11-22's known merits, this is still very much a possibility, and it would be in the same "family" as my existing line-up of Oly's mid-range optics, which also includes the EC-14.

But I have to say that the 9-18 has complicated matters and is equally tempting, especially if it proves to be as solid a performer as the new 14-42 has been, by most accounts (despite the "standard lens" tag applied to both). Moreover, as Adam noted, the 9-18's range arguably seems to be more complimentary to existing 14-54 owners out there who'd hesitated to invest in the extra 3mm of the 11-22 (and yes, I'm well aware of the impact of those 3mm's), but held back since there was so much seeming overlap with the 14-54 in other respects.

For me, the 14-54 remains my lens of choice for most occasions, and tends to live on my E-500 (the E-520 is also calling...), but I do see myself using a WA with some regularity too (more so than the 50-200). In the end, there are compelling reasons for purchasing either lens, and price alone is not the deal-breaker...sigh.

-- hide signature --

Bob C

BorisK1 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,645
Not difficult at all.

You just have to consider the rest of your kit.

In my set of lenses (11-22, 50, 40-150), 11-22 serves two purposes: It gives me wide angle and normal coverage.

For me, the 9-18 wouldn't work as a replacement for 11-22. For normal perspective, I can live with 22m f:3.5. The 18mm f:5.6 would be unacceptable for that purpose - too slow, and too big of a coverage hole.

On the other hand, 9-18 would be a good match for 14-54 or the Sigma 18-50 f:2.8. Some people will think of combining it with the suprezooms (18-180 or 14-150), for travel purposes - though personally, I stay away from superzooms.

Just consider that the 9-18 is specialized and lightweight, while the 11-22 is general-use, but heavy.

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
micke74 Contributing Member • Posts: 588
I second that! (nt)
-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Mick
--- --- ---

• Equipment in profile

http://mickfinn.smugmug.com/

Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846
impossible

9-18 isnt a known quantity IQ wise
its not a decision you should make just yet

theres that 'just' word again
--
Riley

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous (just)

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
viorel Contributing Member • Posts: 939
Re: 9-18mm could be very sharp. Who knows?

BigMike1 wrote:

If the new lens has quality optics, then the only reason to go with
the 11-22 is if you really need the extra f-stop.

...and not only that. I also use 11-22 as a general purpose lens (a bit short though) and the 9-18 wouldn't fit that, it's way too short at 18 for a normal view (and very slow at this aperture). I don't mention weather sealing if you really need it (you may cover the body under a plastic bag in emergency and continue shooting, at least the lens is protected).

But if price for 9-18 drops to around 3-400 I might take it for those extra 2 mm (assuming the IQ at those mm is similar with 14-42).My2cents.

-- hide signature --

Viorel

viorel's gear list:viorel's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony a7 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Franka T.L. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,148

Considerably wider, well I am not so sure ... that's between roughly 75 degree and 85 degree on the horizontals ( long side ) .... it was sort of like the 35mm film's 21mm vs 18mm ... the only very slightly wider coverage is in most case irrelevant.

On the other end though, its a coverage of roughly 40 degree vs 50 degree, that is a full 1/5 ( or 1/4 depending ) so it do made a difference.

Personally, for the speed advantage ( 1 to 1.5 stop ) and the tighter crop I can get for the Tele ( or rather standard coverage ) end. I would go for the 11-22.

-- hide signature --

• Franka -

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads