POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

Started May 12, 2008 | Discussions
zecahue New Member • Posts: 12
POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

How many lost their weak lens ate by a hungry sony a700.
And most important, how many use sigma lens and report no problem.

Lets make a statistic, please report complete name of the lens and time of use.

Cahue

Ken_5D Forum Pro • Posts: 11,820
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

zecahue wrote:

How many lost their weak lens ate by a hungry sony a700.
And most important, how many use sigma lens and report no problem.

Lets make a statistic, please report complete name of the lens and
time of use.

Cahue

Sigma 10-20 lots of use... No problems
Sigma 24-135 f2.8-4.5 Medium use .. No Problems
Sigma 70-300 APO DG .. Light Use with lots of hunting.. (moon shots) no problem

-- hide signature --

Ken - Happy A700 Owner
http://www.cascadephotoworks.com

braeside Contributing Member • Posts: 991
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

Sigma 70-300 APO DG macro on A700 no problem.
--
David

jimb100 Senior Member • Posts: 1,292
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

Sigma 70-300mm APO - lots of use with A700 no problems

A200Eric
A200Eric Senior Member • Posts: 1,284
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro on A700 with no problems in light use
--
Always learning.

 A200Eric's gear list:A200Eric's gear list
Panasonic G85 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +8 more
osu
osu Regular Member • Posts: 373
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

Sigma 90mm 2.8 Macro - No issues
Sigma 400mm 5.6 - No issues
Sigma 10-20mm - No issues
Sigma 70-210 4.5-5.6 - No issues

Sigma 24 2.8 - Issues. Lens goes from being detected on the body to not detected. Tried to clean the contacts but did not improve. Tried to "trick" the A700 with the setting to ignore the no lens attached error. Did not work. Manual focus works sometimes. Don't know if the lens is worth sending back to Sigma to be "re chipped". On my film bodies this was one of my favorite lenses.

 osu's gear list:osu's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a99 II +27 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 19,820
Sigma 24mm f2.8

osu wrote:

Sigma 24 2.8 - Issues. Lens goes from being detected on the body to
not detected. Tried to clean the contacts but did not improve. Tried
to "trick" the A700 with the setting to ignore the no lens attached
error. Did not work. Manual focus works sometimes. Don't know if the
lens is worth sending back to Sigma to be "re chipped". On my film
bodies this was one of my favorite lenses.

I have this lens too (bought new in Tokyo in 1991) and I have used it a bit with my A700 with no problems.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Steve West Veteran Member • Posts: 6,146
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

sigma 17-70: medium use no problems

sigma 70-300 APO DG: light use no problems
--
Steve W
weather photos: http://home.comcast.net/~scwest/atmo/

 Steve West's gear list:Steve West's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +7 more
ovlov Senior Member • Posts: 1,441
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

Zooms
Sigma 135-400mm APO f4.5-5.6 - no problems
Sigma 75-300mm DL f4-5.6 - no problems
Sigma 28-70 f3.5-5.6 - no problems
Sigma 19-35mm f3.5-5.6 - no problems
Primes
Sigma 400mm APO f5.6 - no problems
Sigma 24mm f2.8 - no problems

osu
osu Regular Member • Posts: 373
Re: Sigma 24mm f2.8

Henry Richardson wrote:

osu wrote:

Sigma 24 2.8 - Issues. Lens goes from being detected on the body to
not detected. Tried to clean the contacts but did not improve. Tried
to "trick" the A700 with the setting to ignore the no lens attached
error. Did not work. Manual focus works sometimes. Don't know if the
lens is worth sending back to Sigma to be "re chipped". On my film
bodies this was one of my favorite lenses.

I have this lens too (bought new in Tokyo in 1991) and I have used it
a bit with my A700 with no problems.

Strange thing is when I put this back on my 800si, 300si and 7000i it seems to work flawlessly.

 osu's gear list:osu's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a99 II +27 more
ovlov Senior Member • Posts: 1,441
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

My Sigma 24mm f2.8 required a little modification to work on the Sony AXXX cameras. It fit my 7xi no problem, though. Go figure...

OP zecahue New Member • Posts: 12
POLL!!!

misspelled

Ronni H
Ronni H Senior Member • Posts: 1,099
Sigma 17-70 - no problem (nt)
-- hide signature --
 Ronni H's gear list:Ronni H's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Venus Laowa 15mm F2 +1 more
osu
osu Regular Member • Posts: 373
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

ovlov wrote:

My Sigma 24mm f2.8 required a little modification to work on the Sony
AXXX cameras. It fit my 7xi no problem, though. Go figure...

I recall reading somewhere that there were different runs of this lens that worked w/o issue and others had to be modified for the Alpha and KM 7D/5D. Then there was a small % that would not seem to work at all. Maybe that is what I have. Hard to say.

 osu's gear list:osu's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a99 II +27 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 19,820
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

osu wrote:

I recall reading somewhere that there were different runs of this
lens that worked w/o issue and others had to be modified for the
Alpha and KM 7D/5D. Then there was a small % that would not seem to
work at all. Maybe that is what I have. Hard to say.

I used this lens a fair amount on my KM 7D and it definitely worked well with it. Used it a little on an A100 too. Only used it a bit on the A700 so far without problem. Maybe you are right that you are just unlucky and have one that has problems. I have heard that Sigma will update the lens firmware for free, but I don't know about an older lens like this. Try contacting them and letting us know what they say. Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

JStephen Regular Member • Posts: 284
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

Sigma 10-20 - No Issues

Sigma 28-70 2.8 APO (no Issues) A little soft at 2.8 (It was the same on the Maxxum 7D)
Sigma 70-200 2.8 APO (no Issues)

1.4x APO Teleconverter - Some items a little over exposed, but I cannot say that it is because of the teleconverter yet. Only tried with a few shots.
--
jstephen

rvssts Contributing Member • Posts: 658
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

I have the lens and A700 it gets light use and no problem but I also turn my AF to the slower mode. ( I got scared after reading about some failures)
--
A700, Never leave home without it

 rvssts's gear list:rvssts's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +6 more
yakkosmurf Senior Member • Posts: 2,208
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

Sigma 70-300 DG APO. Fair amount of use for the last 4 months on my a700 (mostly for macro). No problems.
--
yakkosmurf
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yakkosmurf/

 yakkosmurf's gear list:yakkosmurf's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony a7R IV Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +9 more
Nereo Contributing Member • Posts: 802
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

Sigma 100-300 f/4, heavy use, no problems thus-far.

Undah Veteran Member • Posts: 5,335
Re: POOL - Did your sigma die in your a700?

Sigma 24-60mm f2.8 EX - almost 1 week, no problems.

But-

Here's a thread about gear stripping of the 70-300. Many here have already said no issues. This linked thread has the other side:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=27767070

zecahue wrote:

How many lost their weak lens ate by a hungry sony a700.
And most important, how many use sigma lens and report no problem.

Lets make a statistic, please report complete name of the lens and
time of use.

Cahue

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads