Leica macro 60 on A700, built-in flash

Some quick test after mount conversion.
Do you think they show Leica bokeh?

Thanks for looking, Good night.

-- hide signature --

Alpha-7,Alpha-Sweet,Alpha-700

pickles101 Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: Leica macro 60 on A700, built-in flash

whoa... i wasn't even aware that you could adapt leica to sony!, i will srely look into it. Great shots¡

Leya216 Senior Member • Posts: 1,239
How do you adapt a Leica to Sony?

If it's possible Sony may be my next DSLR... . I find judging bokeh best in outdoor shots, I find lego people hard subjects... . I have a Leica 50mm f/1.4 which I'm currently using on a 5D and it's bokeh is like nothing I've ever seen. I love it. It's going to be the main think I'm going to miss about my Canon so if I can use it on a Sony camera... . How did you adapt your lens?
--
Cheers, Leah
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62324865@N00/

http://homestudio.biz/

Charles Nguyen Senior Member • Posts: 1,068
question on mount conversion

Did you actually convert the Leica R 60mm mount to Sony/Minolta mount or did you use adapter for it. If you have an adapter do you mind telling us where you get it ? I'm looking for adapter to mount my R lenses on a Sony.
Thanks

Carl_M Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: question on mount conversion

Interesting post,

Sure would like an adaptor for the Sony also, However, I have yet to find one. Over three years seaching. This why I have a Canon also. Love the Leicas.

Appears the EOS mount is deeper than the A mount. Could have one made althoughit would not focus at infinity without added glass.
--
Carl

goodwrench Contributing Member • Posts: 851
Cool, I have been thinking about doing this.....

I just converted an old Rokkor 58. And am in the process of doing an old folding camera lens ;). Please give us the details...

-- hide signature --

Garth

please visit my Gallery http://www.pbase.com/goodwrench

Harry Lew Senior Member • Posts: 1,629
Learned something . . .

Didn't know you could mount a Leica lens.

The bokeh seems OK. . .hard to evaluate it really with these shots.

-- hide signature --

Harry Lew

'Buying gear is easy. What's hard is paying for it.'
http://harryjohn.smugmug.com/

Charles Nguyen Senior Member • Posts: 1,068
Where's rl07 ?

We're waiting to hear your response... Thanks

pickles101 Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: Where's rl07 ?

please.... tell us. i want to get a 50mm 1.4

PhotoTraveler Forum Pro • Posts: 11,700
Where indeed

Many would like to know.

We could start a conspiracy/rumor that this is a hint/leak and Sony has inked a deal with Leica for R10 development and they are going to use A mount too along with sensor and SSS, and There will be a special method to use old R lenses on the Leica. So this is actually from a Leica AF A mount lens. Leica lenses are all SSM and Electronic aperture so the mount can have provisions for R lenses, no old A mount lens support. But new Leica AFs work on all Sony Bodies.

Now wouldn't that get people running. He does afterall only have 8 post ever and last one was 7 months ago. Would be a really fun thing to dream about. Complete fat chance, but fun to think about.

Sury Contributing Member • Posts: 529
Could this be done?

A M39 to M42 adapter stacked with M42 to MA adapter. Both can be had on Ebay for about $15 each.

I have mounted a Pentax lens (M42 to MA), a Nakura 500/f8 mirror lens (using T-mount to MA) and a Bauch&Lomb 800mm/f10 using a Lens/TMount/MA stack on my A100. Exposure works (almost) perfectly in Auto and manual mode.

with best regards,
Sury
--
Minimize avoidable suffering - Sir Karl Popper

PhotoTraveler Forum Pro • Posts: 11,700
Re: Could this be done?

R lens is bayonet, no threads. It has to be an R lens or the registration is completely incompatible.

R to A gives you 3mm of registration to work with. Which is a lot. But you might not be able to fit the Leica mount in the throat of A mount. But if you remove the mount and matching your own (either use a T mount adapter and a spacer, or rip a mount from a junk A mount lens and a spacer, or go nuts and start from scratch. You could pull it off. Just like putting MD/MC lenses on A mount without glass adapters. You have to remove a few parts.

rl07 OP New Member • Posts: 15
Not adapter, mount replacement

I actually remove the R-mount and screw an A-mount onto the lens.

If you own any 1/2/3 cams Leica lens, I do not own any ROM lens, you will see 6 screws position and which 4 out of 6 of them are in EXACTLY the same place to the A-mount. So you can simply unscrew the R-lens mount, take an A-mount from any dirt cheap broken lens and replace it. (actually need a bit more unscrew work)

Sorry for the late reply as I'd move from photography to lens repairing in the pass months. I convert lenses for my girl friend to play with and do not visit the forum frequently nowadays.

Here is a quick shot on some of the lens I converted and stationary at home.

On camera: Contax Tessar 45mm F2.8

From left to right: Pentax 17-28mm Fisheye zoom, Leica 28mm, Contax 50F1.4, Leica 35mm, 50mm 90mm Summicrons, Leica 135F2,8, Voigtlander 75F2.5, Contax 25mm
On Top: Leica Macro 60mm, Voigtlander Ultron 40mm

If you have any question, I am happy to answer when free.

I do not take great shots as my girl friend do, but here are some test shot I took for bokeh I can share:

Voigtlander (Cloudy day):

Leica (Cloudy day, partly sunny)

Contax (Sunny day)

Some Alpha lens for comparision

BTW, I changed all of my camera screen to split-image, so manual focus is easy for us. (I take the sceens from dirt cheap old Nikon,Pentax flim cameras bough from ebay)

Thanks for looking, Good night
--

jamesdak Veteran Member • Posts: 4,827
Re: Not adapter, mount replacement

So you did not have to add or remove any shims.

-- hide signature --

Long live the HMS Beagle
Critiques always welcome!

Leya216 Senior Member • Posts: 1,239

I really like the feel from the 50mm and 90mm photos (not that I don't like the other ones but probably not as much...).

Question-

So basically with the Leica you just need a screw driver to replace the mount? (ie this is a easily accomplished and reversible process?)
--
Cheers, Leah
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62324865@N00/

http://homestudio.biz/

sixty9 Regular Member • Posts: 296
Re: Leica macro 60 on A700, built-in flash

Do you get infinity focus with leica glass on the sony?
--
Byron
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48163375@N00/

OscarW Regular Member • Posts: 487

rl07 wrote:

I actually remove the R-mount and screw an A-mount onto the lens.
If you own any 1/2/3 cams Leica lens, I do not own any ROM lens, you
will see 6 screws position and which 4 out of 6 of them are in
EXACTLY the same place to the A-mount. So you can simply unscrew the
R-lens mount, take an A-mount from any dirt cheap broken lens and
replace it. (actually need a bit more unscrew work)

Sorry for the late reply as I'd move from photography to lens
repairing in the pass months. I convert lenses for my girl friend to
play with and do not visit the forum frequently nowadays.

Here is a quick shot on some of the lens I converted and stationary
at home.

If you have any question, I am happy to answer when free.
I do not take great shots as my girl friend do, but here are some
test shot I took for bokeh I can share:

BTW, I changed all of my camera screen to split-image, so manual
focus is easy for us. (I take the sceens from dirt cheap old
Nikon,Pentax flim cameras bough from ebay)

Thanks for looking, Good night
--

Hi rl07,

Your flower photos should be taken in HK about two months ago, are you located in HK as well?

I have two Leica R lenses, 50 and 90, that I am currently using them on Canon camera. I will try them on my a700 later.

Thanks for your info.

Oscar

thinkwelldesigns Regular Member • Posts: 163

One gorgeous thread of flower shots. I know it was about your Bokeh comparison, but what a colorful visual treat! Thanks for posting

It really depends on what A-mount you find and use, for replacement mount with big openning (such as some from old sigma lens), the R-lens aperture lever can move freeing, you only need a screw driver and the whole process is reversible !!

With most A-mount from original Minolta, there are pieces sticking out from the bayonet for dust shield fitting, I need to unscrew more to remove the aperture lever from the lens (3 cams) or even worse for 1 cam, I need to cut the lever off (since I know they cannot be mounted on R10 digital if there are one in future which I cannot afford anyway!!) The process is unreversible but who cares.

-- hide signature --

It is hard to say or explain, but since there are 2 screw holes out of 6 which seems unless (remember 4 out of 6 are in exact position compare to A-mount?)

I screw up the other 2 unused with some 'big head' screw to force the other 4 being able to screw-in completely. Which makes the mount about 2mm away from the standard R-mount position, making up the 47mm to fit the lense register distance for perfect infinity focus without loseing close up ability.

Sorry for the english as I am not native speaker, if you want I can try to post some image for better explaination. (would picture speaks a thousand word?)

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads