My 24-70mm Lens BROKE

Started May 7, 2008 | Discussions
kennethw Contributing Member • Posts: 627
My 24-70mm Lens BROKE

My 24-70mm was mounted to my D3 in my Tamrac bag which rolled off the bed bag and all. Upon inspection, the lens popped at the mount; i.e. the lens mount was still in the D3, but the rest of the lens was not. It looks like the 4 screws holding the rest of the lens to the mount popped. Too fragile for the 'Professional' grade lens especially since everything was still in the bag. I was quite rough with my 28-70mm and it never fell apart.

Luckily I had finished walking around Brussels today.

Hopefully it is covered under warranty, I think I have to insist on a new lens.
--------------------

Amateur Photographer, constructive criticism most welcome: http://www.pbase.com/kennethw

Digitalux Contributing Member • Posts: 821
Re: My 24-70mm Lens BROKE

It happened to a friend of mine (from Belgium btw). No warranty would cover it (it fell) and he got a heavy bill.

I hope it will work for you.

Best regards,

Derek

jb_va2001 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,741
You dropped it, doubt Nikon will fix for free.

Can you post a pic?

JB

kennethw wrote:

My 24-70mm was mounted to my D3 in my Tamrac bag which rolled off the
bed bag and all. Upon inspection, the lens popped at the mount; i.e.
the lens mount was still in the D3, but the rest of the lens was not.
It looks like the 4 screws holding the rest of the lens to the mount
popped. Too fragile for the 'Professional' grade lens especially
since everything was still in the bag. I was quite rough with my
28-70mm and it never fell apart.

Luckily I had finished walking around Brussels today.

Hopefully it is covered under warranty, I think I have to insist on a
new lens.
--------------------
Amateur Photographer, constructive criticism most welcome:
http://www.pbase.com/kennethw

LeungPhotos
LeungPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 11,757

Chief!! sorry to hear that.... hopefully you'll get a replacement easily.

-- hide signature --
 LeungPhotos's gear list:LeungPhotos's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
billyf Regular Member • Posts: 290

Now Nikon knows that you drop and damage the lens and will not give you a new one. Next time, get the new one first before you post it out. 8-)

Have you drop the 28-70 before? Just wonder why you feel that the 28-70 is more resist to drop than 24-70.

-- hide signature --

Billy F
Hong Kong
Check equipment in profile

hmac Veteran Member • Posts: 3,484

kennethw wrote:

new lens.

I never get this concept. Clearly, abuse is excluded by the terms of the warranty, but I've always been curious as to why people think that warranty should cover their carelessness.

I just don't get how this is Nikon's problem.

I am sorry about your lens.

-- hide signature --

H McCollister

DiverX
DiverX Senior Member • Posts: 2,327

kennethw wrote:

new lens.

Might be covered under insurance but probably not under warranty. Sorry to hear this happened to you. My 28-70 fell out of the back of my truck on to the road and broke....cost me about $250 to fix. I learned my lesson.
--
George DeCamp
http://www.decamp.net

DiverX's gear list:DiverX's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D500
RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,533
My 24-70mm BROKE. .. You are not alone:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=27358502

Ouch!

If I ever round out my zoom collection (I have the 14-24, 70-200VR, and 200-400VR), I might be extra careful of the 24-70!

Best Regards,

RB

http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +14 more
sfnikon Senior Member • Posts: 2,273
Dropped my 14-24

attached on D3 around 2 feet onto a stone floor. I was sure the lens and camera were toast. It was enough to crack the big cup-like cover but the lens and camera came out unscathed except for a slight hitch when zooming. The pictures from the lens are great and I'm not sure if I'll try and get it repaired or just live with it. The camera works perfectly.
The D3 is one tough camera.
--
Jake

sfnikon's gear list:sfnikon's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D3 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +22 more
OP kennethw Contributing Member • Posts: 627
Re: Dropped my 14-24

Let's see what I can get away with....the camera and lens was in a closed padded bag and rolled onto a carpeted floor in my hotel room, so there are ZERO signs of 'dropping' which it really wasn't 'dropped' onto anything hard.

I say that the 28-70mm seems to be built 'stronger' because I have dropped it lens first onto a concrete floor in a church while shooting a wedding and it didn't break, only the aperture got stuck which Nikon easily fixed.

Fingers crossed.
--------------------

Amateur Photographer, constructive criticism most welcome: http://www.pbase.com/kennethw

geo200 Regular Member • Posts: 327
Insurance

The screws popped. That does not happen without blunt force trauma. Insurance may cover this, but Nikon is never going to warranty this type of damage. I would be very surprised.

Photo_AK
Photo_AK Senior Member • Posts: 1,128

kennethw wrote:

Let's see what I can get away with....the camera and lens was in a
closed padded bag and rolled onto a carpeted floor in my hotel room,
so there are ZERO signs of 'dropping' which it really wasn't
'dropped' onto anything hard.

I'm sorry for what happened to you, but this is just something practically impossible to believe! I can not believe the lens' bayonet was torn from the lens from a half-a-meter fall, while a lens and camera combo was in a padded bag and fell on a carpet.

I've had my share of falls, slipps and bumbs and what you described... any Sigma non EX lens would take without problems. And we're talking a top Nikkor lens here; I've seen it and I've worked with one, so... you won't fool me.

-- hide signature --

Robert Capa said 'you can never get close enough'. Well, he did.... He also often visited my daily photoblog at http://logatec.blogspot.com/

Photo_AK's gear list:Photo_AK's gear list
Leica Q Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +6 more
lanef Forum Pro • Posts: 10,317

billyf wrote:

Now Nikon knows that you drop and damage the lens and will not give
you a new one. Next time, get the new one first before you post it
out. 8-)

Have you drop the 28-70 before? Just wonder why you feel that the
28-70 is more resist to drop than 24-70.

Lenses these days are quite complex, computer chips, VR feature, folating elements inside, I don't think dropping a lens lke that would not cause any damage.

Antoine Rose Regular Member • Posts: 369
I broked it as well

Just happened 3 weeks ago. (in Belgium as well... looks like Belgium is not a good playground for our 24-70's)
D3+24/70 falled from bag.
I was really surpeised how easy it broke up.
The mount was still on the camera, the rest on the ground.

The 4 screws are for sure of a bad quality (or maybe it intended to be "loose" ?) I can imagine that damage could have been worse (camera mount broken) if the 24-70 mount did not break first...
Anyway it cost me 267 Eur ;-(((

Turnaround was incredibly quick at Procirep. Just a couple of days. (my last repair for a 17-55 took 3 weeks...)

Micro32 Senior Member • Posts: 1,193
Re: My 24-70mm BROKE. .. You are not alone:

RBFresno wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=27358502

Ouch!
If I ever round out my zoom collection (I have the 14-24, 70-200VR,
and 200-400VR), I might be extra careful of the 24-70!

As I have said in that thread, "Looking at the picture I can see this happening because these screws look pretty short for holding a mounting ring and two shims." If this is the same type of damage I could see Nikon fixing this under warranty as this is a design problem. Sure, the OP dropped the lens, but if it were in the padded bag and the fall is as minimal as he says, I would be very leery of this lens as having the robust build quality as other Nikkors, especially the 28-70. I still use my 28-70/2,8 and it is so well built that one would feel comfortable pounding nails with it. Unless Nikon is intentionally making "tear away" lens mounts to act as a sheer point when a lens gets a minimal jolt, I would call this a design problem.

Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,485
Insist on warranty covering it? HA!

Surely you are being funny!

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
mooplea New Member • Posts: 12

lucky it wasn't 3 feet, I did that onto a wooden floor and the 14-24 broke in half. Metal and bits of circuit board fell out. The lens broke just behind the zoom ring leaving the lens mount still on the D3.

The lens is fixed now, of course it cost a lot - and no dropping your camera isn't a warranty issue.

lanef Forum Pro • Posts: 10,317
Re: Insist on warranty covering it? HA!

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

Surely you are being funny!

All my gear is insured against accidental damage in OZ. My overseas travel insurance always cover that kind of damage too, I once dropped the wide angle attachment of my Sony video camera overseas ant it was fixed by the insurance on my way back.

nosauten Regular Member • Posts: 419

Isn't a pro camera designed for abuse...especially a photojournalists pro camera??? Falling off a bed is hardly abuse in my opinion. What if it falls off your jeep when you're on safari. Is that abuse. Or if it falls when an athlete runs into you. Is that abuse. I would like to think that a pro camera could survive this.

BTW...where's darth vader II to test this out???

hmac wrote:

kennethw wrote:

new lens.

I never get this concept. Clearly, abuse is excluded by the terms of
the warranty, but I've always been curious as to why people think
that warranty should cover their carelessness.

I just don't get how this is Nikon's problem.

I am sorry about your lens.

-- hide signature --

H McCollister

Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,485
HE wants Nikon to fix it under warranty!

not his insurance company. Big difference. Read his post again, he did not mention insurance

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads