5D shutter button broken. Anyone else had this problem?

Started May 3, 2008 | Discussions
reflux Regular Member • Posts: 285
5D shutter button broken. Anyone else had this problem?

The shutter button on my two years old 5D broke down completely last night while photographing a concert. A few weeks ago I noticed that the button suddenly didn't "spring back" as it's supposed to do, instead it felt stiff and numb. However, the camera still worked perfectly, it just felt a bit different while focusing so I wasn't too concerned about it and I mostly shoot in portrait mode with the battery grip anyway.

But, last night, the button apparently got stuck in half-pressed state and suddenly I couldn't change any settings (since the shutter button overrides everything else) and since the camera was set to single shot AF the camera was trying to lock focus constantly until it found a target that it was happy with. I had to switch manual AF on my lenses but I couldn't review the photos I took, nor change any ISO/AF/metering. Ironically I left my brand new 1D Mark III at home since I hadn't had the time yet to go through all the settings on that camera and felt more confident with my old friend. Doh.

Has anyone else had this problem or heard about it before? I guess it's the spring that's broken but does anyone know how complicated/expensive it is to repair?

I have a Canon service center here in Gothenburg where I live so I'll pay them a visit on monday but I'm a bit bummed about it since the whole idea with buying the Mark III was to have two bodies and now I'm back to one again (not to mention the fact that I spent most of my money on the Mark III and just lost my job).

sigh

daniel.

mcmm Regular Member • Posts: 272
Re: 5D shutter button broken. Anyone else had this problem?

Sorry to hear about this, but what's the point of the post ?

You asked if anyone else has had this problem. Some will say yes, others will say no. But will this forum change what you have to do on Monday ? You still have to take it in for repair. Canon will charge you whatever they want, and you will pay, because you can't afford to throw away a 5D. So why post this here ? The responses here will not change your course of action, will they ?

mcmm

OP reflux Regular Member • Posts: 285

Well, DUH, isn't that obvious?

The point is to make a post that a self proclaimed asshat forum-police can strike down at with his trademarked "what's the point or your post?"-tagline. Do you REALLY think, honestly, that any of the posts you've made lately actually adds something to this forum? If you think my post is pointless, then what's your reply?

I was simply wondering if this is a know 5D problem, and since I couldn't find any posts regarding this matter I asked if anyone else had a similiar experience and could share some insight, if the repair was expensive and how long it took. I'm a hobby photographer and if it's going to be really expensive I'll have to wait.

FYI, FU.

XOXOXO,
daniel.

steverinoj New Member • Posts: 2

Yes! This exact thing just happened to my 5D a few days ago. I called Canon and they told me to send it in for hardware repairs. I found one other reference to someone who had the same issue in a web search for the problem.

I too would be curious to hear if other people are experiencing this. Is this a weird fluke or a 5D issue.

I estimate about 30,000-40,000 actuations.

Steve J.

jerryk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,625

I can remember one other person having this issue. I think they were shooting a lot of club shoots and thought they might have gotten some liquid in the mechanism.

-- hide signature --

jerryk.smugmug.com

mcmm Regular Member • Posts: 272
Feel better now ?

Now that some others sympathize with you, do you feel better ? Perhaps you needed the other 2 responders to empower you to have it fixed. Perhaps you couldn't decide if you should get it fixed on your own.

Brilliant post.

Ronald Hall Contributing Member • Posts: 831
Re: Feel better now ?

Get up on the wrong side of the bed today? At least its not a Nikon post.

mcmm wrote:

Now that some others sympathize with you, do you feel better ?
Perhaps you needed the other 2 responders to empower you to have it
fixed. Perhaps you couldn't decide if you should get it fixed on
your own.

Brilliant post.

Its RKM Veteran Member • Posts: 3,135

mcmm wrote:

Sorry to hear about this, but what's the point of the post ?

At least one point of his post would be to find out if this is a common problem or not, otherwise known as a DESIGN FAULT. It is one thing for it to be just a random fault or normal wear and tear. It is quite another for it to be a design fault because, irrespective of whether it is out of warranty or not, in many jurisdictions Canon have a legal obligation to repair design faults free of charge if they prevent use of the product within its expected life. There is a significant difference in law between warranty period and reasonably expected product life.

If nobody asked others if they had particular problems with cameras (or other products) then we would all be beholden to the manufacturer. Canon's track record for publicly admitting design faults is extremely poor - just look at the 1DIII focus fiasco. Identification of most design faults in Canon kit comes from user discussion, one of the biggest benefits to user power of the Internet in recent years, not Canon sticking their hand up and announcing a product recall.

If Canon had a track record of contacting registered owners of their products when faults appeared, instead of just sending them new product announcements, then YOU might have a point. They don't, and neither do you.

Reflux's post was perfectly valid, and the limited response suggests that whilst it may be a defect, it probably isn't a design defect.

mr.izo Contributing Member • Posts: 512

this is not so uncommon issue ond 20/30d, if i remember correctly. 5d is basicaly 30d with ff, so no suprises here. shutter button can fail on them, i think that contacts get ltile loose or something..
just get it replaced.

p.s. i do agree, this basic foults shouldn't happening on pro or sem-pro camera, at least not so quickly and so commonly (is that a word, hehe?, sorry for my english and typing).

Another Brick Forum Member • Posts: 68

mcmm doesn't appear to be very bright. His posting history has at least 5 instances on the first page alone where he is asking some OP "what is the point" of such and such. He seems quite befuddled most of the time.

xtoph Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871
something similar

sort of happened to my 5d a while back. the action of the shutter button had changed, gotten a bit flatter, and the actuation was less predictable. it seemed a bit like the button was no longer traveling in a perfectly perpendicular path from the button surface; i had to be careful exactly how my finger sat on top of the button and what direction i pushed. it didn't completely stop working, but it did get abruptly worse. i sent it in about 3 weeks past the guarantee period, but they fixed it for free anyway.

i guess i am lucky that it didn't happen 14months after i bought the camera...

OP reflux Regular Member • Posts: 285

bump

The camera is back from Canon RCC, they had a quite waiting list for the service but the actual repair went fast.

The cost for the spare part was 55 SEK = 9 USD.

The totalt cost for the repair was 1277 SEK = 206 USD, but that's including Swedish VAT and keep in mind that the dollar exchange rate is very low so it's probably alot cheaper in the states.

d.

xtoph Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871
well, that's useful to know

especially considering that my already-repaired shutter release (on guarantee) is feeling like it may need another repair, which this time i'll have to pay for.

HenkW Regular Member • Posts: 151

Yes, I have at this very moment and my first instinct too was to look for other occurrences of this problem. Reasons why:

• am I stupid (i.e. doing something wrong) with the shutter?

• is it normal for a shutter button to fail afer 20,000 exposures where the shutter itself is rated for 100,000 or so?

• importantly, is there an easy (i.e. cheap and hassle-free) fix?

So, it has nothing to do with feeling better or to wallow in my own misery or to bestow it onto other members of this forum.

Enough of that.

My experience is similar and in fact, it drives me crazy. Yesterday it reached a level of severity that I considered the camera useless: not only get the half-press state stuck after pressing it, it also inadvertently makes contact when not touching the button at all (causing autofocus and flash-assistant light at random moments). Other symptoms:

• camera seems completely unresponsive

• battery is drained when the camera is in the bag and the camera is not set to off.

So, it's heading for canon repair centre...
--
Photography is all about looking.

Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr. Senior Member • Posts: 1,040
how old is your 5D?

I am asking because I might buy a used one, and would like to now how old is yours. I hear different mechanical problems affect 5Ds, such as the mirror falling.
Many thanks,
Armando.
--
'Heavens declare the glory of God,' and I hope my pictures will too.
http://www.pbase.com/arodri3

Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr.'s gear list:Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr.'s gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
papparazzi Senior Member • Posts: 1,994
Re: Feel better now ?

mcmm wrote:

Now that some others sympathize with you, do you feel better ?
Perhaps you needed the other 2 responders to empower you to have it
fixed. Perhaps you couldn't decide if you should get it fixed on
your own.

Brilliant post.

What a Loser...i bet you have many friends...get some maners. His point was valid, he was not asking simpathy, it's a simple question. Is this a common 5D problem? OK..is is expensive? What's wrong in asking this? Sure he will ge it fixed...but knowing that it's expensive wil make him save some money first... What a brilliant mind...
--

http://www.pbase.com/jdf
(Pbase supporter)

papparazzi's gear list:papparazzi's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600 +10 more
///M Contributing Member • Posts: 754
mine

just acted like you describe this past weekend! lovely... thx for sharing! I know what's coming now!
--
thank Canon for L and BMW for M

HenkW Regular Member • Posts: 151
Re: how old is your 5D?

Mine is 2 yrs 3 months old. Never had any trouble with it until now.
Cheers, Henk
--
Photography is all about looking.

Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr. Senior Member • Posts: 1,040
thanks! N.T. (Re: how old is your 5D?)
-- hide signature --

'Heavens declare the glory of God,' and I hope my pictures will too.
http://www.pbase.com/arodri3

Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr.'s gear list:Armando J. Rodriguez, Jr.'s gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
patrick c tom Regular Member • Posts: 449

reflux wrote:

bump

The camera is back from Canon RCC, they had a quite waiting list for
the service but the actual repair went fast.

The cost for the spare part was 55 SEK = 9 USD.
The totalt cost for the repair was 1277 SEK = 206 USD, but that's
including Swedish VAT and keep in mind that the dollar exchange rate
is very low so it's probably alot cheaper in the states.

d.

Unfortunately I don't think its going to much cheaper in the states. I put mycamera in for repair of my lense release button...180 american plus 30 to ship back to me...he can save money by being close to repair shop...he's lucking live so close btw sorry about the loss of the job...

-- hide signature --

patrick tom

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads