Anyone use a 70-200 2.8 IS on FF?

Started May 3, 2008 | Discussions
Andrew Westlake Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
Re: Let me get this straight...

joe mama wrote:

Are you implying that the Nikon 70-200 / 2.8 was designed for the
cropped sensors of Nikon cameras at the time of it's release?

I'd use the word 'optimised' rather than 'designed', but yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, with some faily extensive explanation in the review.

That's
really quite surprising, if that's what you're saying.

Well, I think it's a perfectly understandable design decision, bearing in mind that at the time all the Nikon cameras were DX, and all the noises coming out from Nikon suggested that full frame wasn't even on their horizon.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

Andrew Westlake's gear list:Andrew Westlake's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus Stylus Verve S Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
Re: But when is the Sigma review going to be out?

We're never going to give out exact review schedules as, by the very nature of what we do, it's unpredictable how much extra testing and/or analysis we may need. That said, the Tamron and Sigma reviews are currently planned to follow immediately after the Canon, and if all goes well, should be completed by the end of May (hopefully sooner).

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus Stylus Verve S Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
Bob Howland Senior Member • Posts: 2,858
Thanks (nt)
-- hide signature --

Bob

Bob Howland's gear list:Bob Howland's gear list
Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
mailman88
mailman88 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,039
Re: full-size samples with 5D

Website with full-size samples of 70-200 2.8 with 5D

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=15

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
Apologies...

...one other reason why I shouldn't talk about review schedules is simple human error; sometimes I can't count weeks very well. One of the two (Sigma/Tamron) should be finished by the end of May, the other by mid-June.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

kmac1036 Regular Member • Posts: 323
Re: Let me get this straight...

Thanks Andy for "clearing" this up for those who may have skimmed the beginning of the review: ie, intro date being in 2002!

IMO, companies are still playing catchup from the film & early digital days concerning lenses that "fit" todays cameras.

Which is better - constantly updated glass or constantly updated bodies?

-- hide signature --

'OOOOOH, they have the Internet on computers now!' Homer J. Simpson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads