DeOxIT update information

Started Apr 29, 2008 | Discussions
gollywop
gollywop Veteran Member • Posts: 8,216
DeOxIT update information

Good People:

Because of the various expressions of concern that have been voiced on this forum regarding the use of DeOxIT with cameras (lens and battery contacts), I have been in touch with Caig, the manufacturer of DeOxIT, to ask some questions. The following summarizes the results of these e-mail exchanges:

1. DeOxIT is quite safe for digital cameras when used properly. This means applying sparingly and wiping away any visible excesses afterwards. Indeed, the chap I talked to has used it on his D200 and D2X. The material will not sublime: unless you are possibly doing a shoot in Hell or otherwise desire to continue your photography in temperatures exceeding 200°C -- and intend to come home afterwards.

2. The application is best done using small foam swabs.

3. The 100% DeOxIT contains 20% cleaning agents, and is really designed for cases where surface problems are visible, although it is just fine to use it in any instance. When there is visible oxidation, the regular DeOxIT should be applied first.

4. For more pristine cases, one can use DeOxIT Gold, which contains much less cleaning agent (only 0.5%). This, by itself, is able to dissolve minor amounts of oxidation, but, in any event, provides improved connectivity and better long-term protection of the base metal surface.

5. Even if you use DeOxIT first, it is good in camera applications to follow up with an application of DeOxIT Gold, for the reasons given above. Please note that this information is different from that I originally posted, wherein I claimed the use of Gold was not warranted. Whereas you needn't use the Gold, it does apparently make for a better long-term solution. For those of you who didn't get Gold, there is no need to rush out to get some. Doing this at your convenience after some period of time will be more than fine.

6. I repeat, with both DeOxIT and DeOxIT Gold, apply sparingly and clean up excesses well afterwards. Only the thinest coating should remain.

7. The spray versions, as we know, are less potent and should not be used directly on the camera. The liquids are preferable in this application, but the sprays are better than nothing. However, they should be used away from the camera to spray onto a foam applicator, which can then used to clean and condition the contacts.

8. For those several of you out there who appear to be overly anal about all this, please feel free not to use the product. No one will mind if you don't, and there are certainly plenty of corners in this world for you to sit in.

9. For those of you who have tried DeOxIT and found it not to solve your problem, I am sincerely sorry and hope you are able to get Nikon to own up to something more fundamental than "dirty contacts" in your instances.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

malch Forum Pro • Posts: 13,994
Re: DeOxIT update information

gollywop wrote:

8. For those several of you out there who appear to be overly anal
about all this, please feel free not to use the product. No one will
mind if you don't, and there are certainly plenty of corners in this
world for you to sit in.

But the world is a sphere (approximately). No corners!

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to follow up on this and post your findings.

SW Kim Regular Member • Posts: 449
I leave for awhile

and find that the rampant tech freak paranoia that permeates forums like these has not abated one bit. Jesus. All this hand wringing over a bunch of dirty contacts.

lol. Folks truly, truly need to get a life, instead of spending days and nights poring over every minute detail of their new 'love interest' and harping obsessively over "dirty contacts".

I am reminded of Gollum and his "precious".

Dave Fitzpatrick Regular Member • Posts: 424
Re: I leave for awhile

SW Kim wrote:

All this hand wringing
over a bunch of dirty contacts.

lol. Folks truly, truly need to get a life, instead of spending days
and nights poring over every minute detail of their new 'love
interest' and harping obsessively over "dirty contacts".

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, but I went from a completely disfunctional camera to one that is working fine just by cleaning the contacts. If that's obsessive, so be it.

-- hide signature --
dannv Veteran Member • Posts: 3,416

gollywop wrote:

8. For those several of you out there who appear to be overly anal
about all this, please feel free not to use the product. No one will
mind if you don't, and there are certainly plenty of corners in this
world for you to sit in.

just couldn't resist could you?

a little research goes so much further than a lot of opinions. thanks for the effort. ...dav

-- hide signature --

don't wait for technology -- it won't wait for you

DStan
DStan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,532
Don't cry, try...

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=deoxit&origkw=deoxit&sr=1
--
Stan ;o()

In the spirit of Occam’s Razor one should embrace the less complicated formulation or simply put, less is more.

Humanoid
Humanoid Veteran Member • Posts: 4,666

Thanks for the update gollywop!

I use the lint free swabs and wipe off the excess with pec pads. Like you said," you need to apply it sparingly".

-- hide signature --

Ray

Humanoid's gear list:Humanoid's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +8 more
gollywop
OP gollywop Veteran Member • Posts: 8,216

Hi dav,

yeah, it was tough to leave it alone. However, please note that the final tally was basically in line with the earlier notions -- which were not all just opinion. Much of it was based on my actual experience over a large number of years. There was, to be sure, an anecdotal element that comprised a fair number of other people jumping in to say it worked for them -- and that is not to be ignored. And, clearly, the fairer the number, the less to be ignored.

take care,

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

John4 Contributing Member • Posts: 801

Good post. Those of you who use this product may be mostly reassured.

May I suggest

(a) This is the kind of research which should have been done before recommending a product to many users.

(b) I still wonder whether the problem has anything to do with oxidation, or if it is just dirt or grease. I don't know the answer, but if it is not oxidation, a simpler cleaner should work as well.

(c) Regarding point 8, there is no need to be sarcastic. This shows a need to be right about this, rather than simply seeking the truth of the matter.

Regards, John

Wanchese Senior Member • Posts: 2,517

Did you research the effect of your post before posting it? Do you seriously think someone offering advice to other camera owners has any obligations to you or anyone else who reads these posts? Really? Isn't it your obligation to do your own research before you start spritzing your camera with mystery potions?

I have researched the potential impact of these words, and hope they take full effect.
--
You Will Never Walk Alone

Wanchese's gear list:Wanchese's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
Boris
Boris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,257
Re: I leave for awhile

This probably the first time I agree with you SW Kim.
Boris
--
Stubborn and ardent clinging to one's opinion is the best
proof of stupidity.
Michel de Montaigne

http://public.fotki.com/borysd/

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II +40 more
LuvLatins Contributing Member • Posts: 748

I have been in touch with Caig, the manufacturer of DeOxIT, to ask some questions. The following summarizes the results of these e-mail exchanges:

While I appreciate this effort, asking the manufacturer of the product if its safe is clearly not that objective. Kind of like asking a cigarette company if cigarettes are safe. Would be much more objective and helpful if Nikon said this product was safe to use. Or even better a neutral third party laboratory that has no conflict of any kind.

Maheanuu Regular Member • Posts: 110

I am an old retired Navy Chief Electronics Technician and Sperry Univac Field engineer.

I am also a owner of both digital and classic cameras and have used Caig products for decades on equipment that would make a digital camera price chump change. I have used contact cleaners, and contact enhancers and have always found that cleaning the contacts before applying the enhancing product to eliminate any and all chances of sporadic open circuits on plug pins, memory contacts and their mating pins, cpu sockets and pins and so on... I normally recommend using Stabilant 22 and a good cleaner. I believe that Caig Lab's Deoxit is probably a block polymer similar to that of Stabilant 22 and that their Silver version is nothing more than a greater diluted version of the original...

One thing to remember is that these products need to be used sparingly as their conductivity is best when the coating on the contacts is about .5 to 1 mil thick on the contacts.

I cannot speak for Deoxit, but having been the engineer for 5 islands in the South Pacific, and seen the nightmares of contact failure in just about everything known to man, I strongly recommend Stabilant 22 and recommend that you read their product information and browse their technical bulletins and information regarding the use and dilution of their product and how to apply the product to the contacts and if caution and common sense are used, you may never need to clean your contacts again, or at least not for a very long time. I had contacts still operating when the protective covers had corroded so badly that they had started to leak. These products are put on sparingly and any oil residue should be cleaned up using a q-tip or a small piece of a Pec Pad wrapped tight around a toothpick or a pointed bamboo skewer that is shortened enough to feel comfortable for it;s use to clean up oil spills using the point to get in to tiny crevaces where oil will be want to go...

I do know that back in my day, the US Navy only used the cutting edge, and Caig Labs was that cutting edge in intermittent contact solutions, and in the 80's I discovered Stabilent 22 and know for a fact that the US Navy is using it in their electronics repair facilities.

Nikon D-70, Nikon D-200, Minolta Dimage 7i, Minolta Maxxim 3xsi, 2 ea. Olympus OM-10, 2 ea. Zeiss Ikon 120 TLR's. A Favorite and the other it's precursor. All have had their contacts cleaned and enhanced.. All are working perfectly. I had intermittents between my D-70 Body and lenses when I first took my D-70 out of it's box. I immediately cleaned the contacts and applied Stabilant 22 and have never had another problem with lenses.

Again, It always pays off knowing what you are doing, and the manufacturers have all the information on how to use their products correctly on their web sites if you don't trust information that you find in a forum.

Just this old chief's 2¢

dannv Veteran Member • Posts: 3,416

IMO, you were wrong, you missed the points, and you're still well off base. but its neither here nor there, i sincerely appreciate the effort that few on these forums show...dav
--
don't wait for technology -- it won't wait for you

Phil_L Veteran Member • Posts: 3,113

Yes, the internet is amazing in more than one way.

Thanks for the effort gollywop.
--
Phil_L

Phil_L's gear list:Phil_L's gear list
Nikon D500 Phase One Capture One Pro
Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 6,861
LOL

You're the first bloke I hear of that wouldn't mind owning a brand new €1700 dead camera. Most people want their gear to function, because they bought it to take photographs.

SW Kim wrote:

and find that the rampant tech freak paranoia that permeates forums
like these has not abated one bit. Jesus. All this hand wringing
over a bunch of dirty contacts.

lol. Folks truly, truly need to get a life, instead of spending days
and nights poring over every minute detail of their new 'love
interest' and harping obsessively over "dirty contacts".

I am reminded of Gollum and his "precious".

-- hide signature --

Philip

gXyZOd Regular Member • Posts: 433
Re: i'm heartbroken

Any idea where I can by these two foams in the EU?

Con amazon UK I find only the liquid spray version.

Thanks!

nico3d
nico3d Contributing Member • Posts: 877
great

great post again gollypop!

maybe it's too much to ask but i have never ever cleaned an electronic contact before and when you mention, sparingly, when you mention remove the leftovers, leave a thing surface, i really can't figure how and where to do this on my D300.

so maybe you could possible post some photos indicating where exactly to apply DeOxit for this issue in the D300 and also in the lenses. maybe some kind of tutorial on how to clean them and how it should remain after finished.

anyway, i m sure it s too much to ask but since you are so helpful about this it's worth asking.

thanks again!

-- hide signature --

non-overexposing perfectly working Nikon D300 + a bunch of decent lenses

'there's more in each of us than we know'

nico3d's gear list:nico3d's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
gXyZOd Regular Member • Posts: 433
Seconded

That would actually be great!
I'm scared to touch my D300 and 70-200 2.8 vr going blind.

Thanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads