Help please: 40D focus and calibration problem...

Started Apr 27, 2008 | Discussions
shipng Regular Member • Posts: 105
Help please: 40D focus and calibration problem...

just bought a 40D today...was very happy.

Started shooting with Sigma APO 70-300, 80% out of focus...including trying out with the macro shots

came home and test with Canon 18-55, 28-200 and the 50/1.8, all out of focus...(all center point shooting at one target, including trying out the "green box" mode to make sure it was any other setting issue, also tried RAW vs JPG...)

I am going to send the camera back to Canon for checking.

Question: If i sent along the lens and the body, will canon calibrate the lens also? or they only deal with the AF sensor?

Those lens all worked well with my 350D (all are in-focus and sharp), I don't want to lose everything that was working fine with the 350D combo....

Please advice what should I do ...

thanks...

shipng's gear list:shipng's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +15 more
Luke Kukovica Senior Member • Posts: 1,808
Re: Help please: 40D focus and calibration problem...

if you haven't already ...do your tests with a sturdy tripod mirror lock up and remote switch. that way you will eliminate operator error.

http://www.pbase.com/llukee/inbox&page=111

Bowbridge Regular Member • Posts: 212
-- hide signature --

If you just bought it today, why not bring it back to the store and tell them it's defective?

Bowbridge

digital_photog Contributing Member • Posts: 762

If the problem is the new 40D return it or send it back to Canon for repair. Most likely it's the 40D if all the lenses work on your other camera.

JMHO

Fred

Bob Blount Veteran Member • Posts: 7,458

I will answer your question. I took my 40D to Canon Service with the same problem. They worked on with to no benefit. They ask my to leave my Canon lenses. The result was tack sharp photos with all combinations. Yes, I would send the Canon lenses with the body.

Canon's explanation is that everything has tolerances so if a lens is at one end of its tolerance and the body is at the other end, results may not satisfy. With both the body and lenses they can optimize all combinations with better results which was my experience.

I subsequently bought the 100-400mm L IS with a soft focus issue. Canon's first effort was disappointing but with the body AND the lens it turned out tack sharp.

-- hide signature --

Bob

'There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.' - Ansel Adams

Canon 40D, 70-200mm f4L IS, 28-135mm IS, Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 Macro, 100-400 mm f4.5L IS
Sony R1
Canon Pro1

Bob Blount's gear list:Bob Blount's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D
Keith Reeder Veteran Member • Posts: 3,725

shipng wrote:

Please advice what should I do ...

Post some examples with EXIF - we don't know this isn't user error, even though you're not a novice (we've seen it many times on here).

The replies so far which automatically assume that the camera is at fault aren't helping you - it might not be the camera.

OP shipng Regular Member • Posts: 105

Thanks.
I will try to make a few shots with tripod comparing 350D with diff lens.

However, the sigma APO 70-300 shots I refer to as not-in-focus were shot under broad daylight with shutter speed lowest at 1/400 and highest at 1/4000 with ISO setting at lowest 200 to ISO 800....
F value were set 5.6 and above, highest was at F11.

I got sharper/ "on focus" photos with the 350D on the same day with slower shutter speed and ISO at 200 with the same Sigma Lens, and i even got good pictures at 300mm handheld with shutter speed at 1/400, how can the 40D not shoot anything "sharp" at auto ISO / green box / P mode at 70mm-200 mm range under bright daylight??

Although Sigma lens were not as good as L lens, but still, compare to over 20,000 shots on my 350D, the 40D+sigma shots are just off....

bad luck??

unfortunately I am going on a trip this Thursday night. I can only send it to Canon after i come back after a week. Nor do I think the shop will do the replacement without testing and checking, and they will probably send it back to Canon to test anyway. Its a long holiday coming up (Golden Week in japan) and everybody is busy ...

shipng's gear list:shipng's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads