the moment is to buy the mk III

Started Apr 26, 2008 | Discussions
karmal Regular Member • Posts: 192
the moment is to buy the mk III

All problems were solved? After the serial number 566 no problems exist?

Jim W Regular Member • Posts: 465
Re: the moment is to buy the mk III

My Mark III is 553XXX, and I've had no problems what so ever, I find that most of the people that complain don't even own one
--
Jim W

mide Forum Member • Posts: 78
Re: the moment is to buy the mk III

Jim W - yes, you've got a good one. Don't knock the complainers unless you know what you're talking about, many loyal Canon users have their Canon Mark IIIs being fixed for the third or fourth time because of focussing problems and have a camera which is unusable for professional photography. I have avoided making a major issue of my problems on this board and, 11 months after acquiring a lemon am still trying to go through non legal channels. Trust me, some owners of the problem Mark IIIs still have a focus problem and, after this time, knowing what the later models are capable of, have every reason to make a fuss.
Those of us with problems, are not speaking out of ignorance but experience.

Jim W Regular Member • Posts: 465
Re: the moment is to buy the mk III

mide, if you read my post correctly, I said "most" not all, and I know what a pain it can be to not have your camera work properly, and I wish you all the best getting it repaired
--
Jim W

José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,643
It was really high time for me (pic)

so I went for it 551xxx. Bought it about two months ago and it has been outstanding!

karmal wrote:

All problems were solved? After the serial number 566 no problems
exist?

 José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +14 more
brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 8,958
Re: the moment is to buy the mk III

567xxx. Appears to have no problems. Had 95% in focus in Ai servo mode at local March of Dimes walk, people walking, running, and riding bicycles. A lot better than the 63% in focus using my 5D last year at the event.

 brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a6400 Sony a9 II +6 more
Necip
Necip Senior Member • Posts: 1,004
Re: the moment is to buy the mk III

562xxx rocks! too, my mates 550xx also. I know of two others who bought before me have no probs. Just watch out for the trolls here and the ex p. shoot mob who have the money to buy and never touched an slr before.
--
http://necipperver.googlepages.com/
http://photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=4130063

http://www.treknature.com/members/Necipp/photos/
http://www.treklens.com/members/NecipP/photos/

 Necip's gear list:Necip's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Nikon D7100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Carl Blake
Carl Blake Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: the moment is to buy the mk III

I bought mine last week. Serial #562xxx. Build date March 2008. Absolutely fantastic and no problems whatsoever.

 Carl Blake's gear list:Carl Blake's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
OP karmal Regular Member • Posts: 192
Re: the moment is to buy the mk III

I had a markIII first 52 that aiservo used after 6000 shots and thousands of configurations, I'm not convinced much, even less after the correction of sub-mirror, I wonder if this is the right time to buy having best probability of finding a truly in place.
Greetings!

Richard
Richard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,162
Re: the moment is to buy the mk III

Are those of you that say your's is ok shooting in bright warm conditions?

Richard

 Richard's gear list:Richard's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
John W Peterson Senior Member • Posts: 2,737
Do the new models ...

contain the "root cause' fix that has been rumored / talked about - or just the secondary mirror upgrade ? Has canon released or discussed what the "root cause" issues are ?
Does anyone know what manufacture date might represent the turning point here ?

Leon Wittwer Forum Pro • Posts: 13,525
Re: the moment is to buy the mk III

Yes, some have had serious issues. That has been true for virtually every camera body that has been massed produced. There are always lemons. The issue is what is the meaning of "many" in your paragraph below. Are you implying that it is five maybe ten percent of all users (assuming the AF mirror fix has been done)? Perhaps the real number is one percent which is a typical number. The difficulty is that no one knows the number and no manufacturer will release such information.

Hopefully, you will get some satisfaction with your "lemon." One unfortunate aspect of the AF mirror assembly business is that the fix probably swamped the repair facilities which may have negatively impacted many other "normal" repairs by pushing technicians to work too fast. I rather doubt that the centers have much "surge" capability.

mide wrote:

Jim W - yes, you've got a good one. Don't knock the complainers
unless you know what you're talking about, many loyal Canon users
have their Canon Mark IIIs being fixed for the third or fourth time
because of focussing problems and have a camera which is unusable for
professional photography. I have avoided making a major issue of my
problems on this board and, 11 months after acquiring a lemon am
still trying to go through non legal channels. Trust me, some owners
of the problem Mark IIIs still have a focus problem and, after this
time, knowing what the later models are capable of, have every reason
to make a fuss.
Those of us with problems, are not speaking out of ignorance but
experience.

Leon Wittwer Forum Pro • Posts: 13,525
Re: Do the new models ...

The "root cause" business seems to be unconfirmed rumor. It showed up prominently on RG's site quite a while back and seemed to imply another coming soon. The only thing that happened was that Canon announced that the problem was fixed and that the 1d3 performed as intended (presumably excluding the occasional "lemon").

By the way, I have used a 1d3 (produced with the "fix") for several months with no issues.
--
Leon
http://homepage.mac.com/leonwittwer/landscapes.htm

John W Peterson Senior Member • Posts: 2,737
Potentially good news

althoug I have been very very happy with my 1DsIII, (shooting at a slow rate) I have held off on the 1dIII, especially since RG raised concerns regarding residual issues post mirror fix.

If they have truly fixed the 1DIII, then that would be a dramatic and important piece of news.

José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,643
Very sunny---10C-20C warm enough? Or you want +30C????

If it is the latter you have to wait mid-June to July for me to give you samples.

For very sunny conditions I've tried mine from -5C to about 20C and slightly over the AF performed flawlessly in AI Servo/One Shot. Subject coming at me either bird approaching, model walking or cyclist(s) coming straight is a walk in the park for the 1DMKIII.

My settings are pretty much default and I have yet to experiment on the AF focusing speed and etc. The only challenge I've faced so far with this camera is a tight window of focus when focusing on a cyclist and I don't have an unobstructed (there's a sequence of small trees blocking my view) and then the cyclist I am trying to focus on is overtaken. Here the focus is lost as it sometimes focuses on the overtaking cyclist. This happened with the 1DIIN as well. Next time, I will have to adjust the AF focusing speed and read up on what is best for this scenario.

Richard wrote:

Are those of you that say your's is ok shooting in bright warm
conditions?

Richard

 José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +14 more
Anton26 Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: the moment is to buy the mk III

I have a 544* and no problems. My firtst MKIII had s/n 504* and was a bad body

 Anton26's gear list:Anton26's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Sony a7R II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +8 more
John Senior Member • Posts: 1,299
Re: the moment is to buy the mk III

You are certainly right as far as I'm concerned when you say you find that people that complain don't even have one. Just lucky I guess I had TWO stinkers that were built 7 months apart. On the other hand as lousy as those two cameras were (even after the fixes) my 1Ds Mark III is superb.

It has permanently put my D3 on the shelf. I still use it for dark gyms when I want a dinky little file, however.

Cultured Vulture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,181
Re: the moment is to buy the mk III

John wrote:

You are certainly right as far as I'm concerned when you say you find
that people that complain don't even have one. Just lucky I guess I
had TWO stinkers that were built 7 months apart. On the other hand
as lousy as those two cameras were (even after the fixes) my 1Ds Mark
III is superb.

It has permanently put my D3 on the shelf. I still use it for dark
gyms when I want a dinky little file, however.

You called these dinky little files stunning. Or were you just being kind.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&message=27692702
--
Respond to rudeness with civility, it really annoys them.

Regards,

JR

 Cultured Vulture's gear list:Cultured Vulture's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 7900 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 +11 more
NickMJr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,752
Re: Do the new models ...

Leon Wittwer wrote:

The "root cause" business seems to be unconfirmed rumor. It showed
up prominently on RG's site quite a while back and seemed to imply
another coming soon. The only thing that happened was that Canon
announced that the problem was fixed and that the 1d3 performed as
intended (presumably excluding the occasional "lemon").
By the way, I have used a 1d3 (produced with the "fix") for several
months with no issues.
--
Leon
http://homepage.mac.com/leonwittwer/landscapes.htm

Well, look at it this way RB was the one guy that had enough clout, respect and knowledge to confront Canon and win his arguement that the AF system was flawed. Canon baulked, denied and later ate crowe when they had to admit RG was correct in his findings. So when it comes to the "Root Cause", I would trust RG over Canon any given day.
http://nickmjr.smugmug.com/
Nick M

Leon Wittwer Forum Pro • Posts: 13,525
Re: Do the new models ...

NickMJr wrote:

Well, look at it this way RB was the one guy that had enough clout,
respect and knowledge to confront Canon and win his arguement that
the AF system was flawed. Canon baulked, denied and later ate crowe
when they had to admit RG was correct in his findings. So when it
comes to the "Root Cause", I would trust RG over Canon any given day.

I think your characterization of Canon's behavior is mostly urban myth fueled by rumor and herd behavior. If you look at RG's site on the "root cause" business, it is clearly a rumor and RG does not know if it is true or not. Besides, even though RG did all of us a great service by helping Canon characterize the issue, he is not a god.
--
Leon
http://homepage.mac.com/leonwittwer/landscapes.htm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads