Fujifilm DSLR Line is DEAD!!!

Started Apr 26, 2008 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
write2alan New Member • Posts: 20
Fujifilm DSLR Line is DEAD!!!

Fujifilm is clearing out it's remaining inventory worldwide at $1000. Why? They were not selling as expected. I heard it from Fujifilm Canada at a PMA tradeshow in Toronto on the past Wednesday. There are no plans for future DSLR development he said. I wish I am wrong because I've been a happy S2Pro user and waiting for an affordable full frame from guess who? Fujifilm.

lupin_le_vorace Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: Let's hope this is not the case...

Holy sh-t!! I didn't know that!

I thought they were just making place for an (unannounced) new model or something...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1020&thread=27667347

If this in indeed the case this is a very sad day...

write2alan wrote:

Fujifilm is clearing out it's remaining inventory worldwide at $1000.
Why? They were not selling as expected. I heard it from Fujifilm
Canada at a PMA tradeshow in Toronto on the past Wednesday. There are
no plans for future DSLR development he said. I wish I am wrong
because I've been a happy S2Pro user and waiting for an affordable
full frame from guess who? Fujifilm.

Jeffrey Anderson Senior Member • Posts: 1,866
Re: Fujifilm DSLR Line is DEAD!!!

Where can you find the S5 for $1000? I checked BH, Ritz and Samy's and the lowest price was $1599.

Spendthrift Contributing Member • Posts: 728
True Shame

How ironic.

I'm primarily a Canon shooter. However, my first digital camera was a Fuji (s602z) and when the S3 was released I purchased one. Excellent files, crappy body. However I love it and used it until the S5 was released. Excellent files, excellent body. Great camera.

One day when looking at lenses for the S5, I saw the Canon 1D3 on the store shelf....WHAM....within a couple of hours I had my Fuji S3, S5 and my small collection of F-mount lenses at the shop for a trade in to the MarkIII.

Well, last night I wandered through my Fuji folders and began to play with some files. GORGEOUS!! I really began to miss the unique qulities of the Fuji files....so rich, so maleable, so beautiful.

Today I began to glance at the Fuji forum to see if anything new was going on. I was seriously thinking of selling my 5D (which I also own) and purchasing the S5 while waiting for the 5DII. And now I hear this!

Quite honestly, if Fuji would come out with a FF S-series it would be my main camera. Regardless, I may scoop up an S5 if I can find one at $1000.

Evan

 Spendthrift's gear list:Spendthrift's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
lupin_le_vorace Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: Fujifilm DSLR Line is DEAD!!!

Jeffrey Anderson wrote:

Where can you find the S5 for $1000? I checked BH, Ritz and Samy's
and the lowest price was $1599.

L. L. Lozeau on Montreal are selling it at this price since Monday although I understand that they earlier today they had only one left...

Maybe some of the other stores are not saying anything in order do a serious profit on the remaining cameras but I am only speculating here...

BigPixel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,371
Re: Fujifilm DSLR Line is DEAD!!!

Recent purchase, Fuji Film Hawaii, $1399.
--
BigPixel / Hawaii

BigPixel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,371
Re: True Shame

Hogan's speculated on this. Its all about market share in the DSLR world. Fuji has fallen behind Nikon & Canon in some respects recently. Their main profit line is not cameras. I, like most here, will miss future upgrades to the S5 but if none appears???? Time to move on. Personally I'll buy another S5 at bargain basement prices and use it till it dies.
--
BigPixel / Hawaii

bkj Senior Member • Posts: 1,339
Re: Wouldn't mind the same sensor in D300 body

What a pity if this is true. To be honest, if Fujifilm puts the S5's sensor in the D300 body and calls it the S6, I would buy one.

I guess it's time to save up for the D3.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm S5 Pro, S3 Pro
Tokina AF 12-24/4.0
Nikon AF-S 18-200/3.5-5.6G VR
Tamron AF 28-75/2.8
Nikon AF 50/1.4D
Sigma AF 150/2.8 Macro

Dirk W Senior Member • Posts: 2,329
Re: Fujifilm DSLR Line is DEAD!!!

If this is true it might still happen (I hope) that they sell their sensor technology / development department to Nikon and we still can enjoy Fuji technology under another brand name.

 Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Sony Alpha a6300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +12 more
carl english
carl english Veteran Member • Posts: 8,140
still hopeful

If the Fuji rep had said, Yes we are bringing out a new model at Xmas it would have a negative effect on sales of S5, by saying DSLR production is finished we may grab the S5 a bargain price.
I'm still hopeful.

 carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D70
CM_laptop Senior Member • Posts: 2,034
about time you noticed :)))

seiously: why would Fuji continue serious development of their DSLR line?

Their medical & business imaging sector is doing great; their DSLR line is just a showpiece.

There I said it: maybe they'll add another DSLR to their showpiece just to say they do have a "DSLR sector"?

Oh BTW: pls stop making sweeping statements that Fuji is selling the S5 $1000 worldwide_ .

They're not.

-- hide signature --

'I'm back'

Pkphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 528
Re: without official answer ...?

We need official statement by Fuji to see what they will do...
We have nothing official until now. Photokina is coming soon.

The only thing is that in photographic shops, people are saying that the S5 don't sell ...

From the other side, many people prefer D300 (or the D3 for those who have the money)...may be they are wright, as a better camera and with much more good after worldwide sales service, but with not the same Fuji-colors... speaking for D300/S5 because D3 is a FF.

minim3 Contributing Member • Posts: 942
Re: Fujifilm DSLR Line is DEAD!!!

I hope its not true,but eaven if it is. i'll be happy with my S5...

lova50 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Fujifilm DSLR Line is DEAD!!!

why u insist on a full frame all new lenses go wery wide

JiangChen Forum Member • Posts: 51
Re: Fujifilm DSLR Line is DEAD!!!

lova50 wrote:

why u insist on a full frame all new lenses go wery wide

Full frame 14mm is still a "little" wider than say 10mm DX.

bkj Senior Member • Posts: 1,339
Re: Photokina

If nothing's announced at Photokina, then it's probably dead. But again, I'm all for a S6 with the S5's sensor in the D300 body.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm S5 Pro, S3 Pro
Tokina AF 12-24/4.0
Nikon AF-S 18-200/3.5-5.6G VR
Tamron AF 28-75/2.8
Nikon AF 50/1.4D
Sigma AF 150/2.8 Macro

geo200 Regular Member • Posts: 327
Fuji

Fuji will most likely remain in the market. However the market is not really into Fuji. I think they need to poo or get off the pot. Develop a line of cameras with their own bodies and their own glass. This piggy back approach to cameras did not work for Kodak and it is only limiting the success of Fuji.

Few if any camera shops carry the Fuji DSLR's. They do not sell compared to Canon and Nikon. They just don't. Niche market (small) at best. Now even that niche market is closed off with the D3 and the D300.

IMHO

geo200 Regular Member • Posts: 327
Re: Photokina

They tried that approach once already. The S5 has the S3 sensor. That would spell certain death to Fuji using the same old parts on a third camera line. They were foolish to reuse the S3 sensor a second time, they would never be dumb enough to use it again.

bkj wrote:

If nothing's announced at Photokina, then it's probably dead. But
again, I'm all for a S6 with the S5's sensor in the D300 body.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm S5 Pro, S3 Pro
Tokina AF 12-24/4.0
Nikon AF-S 18-200/3.5-5.6G VR
Tamron AF 28-75/2.8
Nikon AF 50/1.4D
Sigma AF 150/2.8 Macro

Anthony Veteran Member • Posts: 8,933
Re: Fujifilm DSLR Line is DEAD!!!

So...you're propagating a rumor.
Let's see:

1) clearing out inventory at $1000. Well, that's not true. Cameras are still selling for more than that.

2) Source? Unknown person from Fujifilm Canada. Yeah, that's someone high up....not.

So....What you say is yet unverified. The same rumors were around after the S3 came out. It may be that Fujifilm has no plans for another DSLR, but stating a rumor as fact is just rumor-mongering. Nothing like an attention-seeking headline to grab people.

Anthony

write2alan wrote:

Fujifilm is clearing out it's remaining inventory worldwide at $1000.
Why? They were not selling as expected. I heard it from Fujifilm
Canada at a PMA tradeshow in Toronto on the past Wednesday. There are
no plans for future DSLR development he said. I wish I am wrong
because I've been a happy S2Pro user and waiting for an affordable
full frame from guess who? Fujifilm.

-- hide signature --
BigPixel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,371
Re: Fujifilm DSLR Line is DEAD!!!

People! The logic of the S5 price drop should be obvious. Its a great DSLR but at the end of its product life. Now introduce the D300 at $1800 with better metering, ISO performance, etc. and what would you do with S5 pricing if you were Fuji? Drop it to make it competitive with newer technology. Pretty simple really.

btw, I / we (University of Hawaii) just purchased a Fuji S5 over the D300 for $1399 locally. That's quite an attractive price for such a fine camera. Add Fuji color, DR, and general performance with respect to portrait/candid people shoots and the decision was made for us.

Its just marketing. Doesn't mean a new camera is in the wings for Photokina, doesn't mean Fuji is getting out of DSLR development (yet). Just means they want to continue selling the S5 post D300 release.

My 2 cents anyway.
--
BigPixel / Hawaii

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads