Yikes - Mark III body falls off of lens

Started Apr 25, 2008 | Discussions
rdjphoto Regular Member • Posts: 185
Yikes - Mark III body falls off of lens

While carrying my Mark III with my 500f4 and 1.4 TC the camera fell off of the lens mount and landed on the Tile floor.

So far except for one error 99 it seems to be working OK, more tests are needed.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I did read that Arthur Morris had a problem with the Teleconverter pin not locking.

Any info to help me prevent this from happening again will be much appreciated.

Magnus_S Contributing Member • Posts: 619
Re: Yikes - Mark III body falls off of lens

My TC is also not locking... might fix it soon when I hear stories like this.

-- hide signature --
Gary S Veteran Member • Posts: 6,230

Mine didn't fall, but the locking pin stopped working on mine also. It wouldn't lock at all. Required a trip to the service center.

Gary S's gear list:Gary S's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Rob Ashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,610

My 1DIIn body came off my 2x + 400mm lens and hit a gravel road. The body was fine (slight scratch near battery entrance). Unfortunately I had my EX550 flashgun mounted and that burst into a million pieces. ;(

Mine was down to the mounting ring on the back of my convertor coming undone (3 tiny screws).

Rob
--
Hanging around here too long

NigelMoore Regular Member • Posts: 427

rdjphoto wrote:

Any info to help me prevent this from happening again will be much
appreciated.

Don't carry your camera by the lens.
--
f2.8

Necip
Necip Senior Member • Posts: 1,004
 Necip's gear list:Necip's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Nikon D7100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Necip

I use a Canon 2xII and a 1.4xII TC a lot mine locks ok, Does your's unlock itself or just not lock at all? I will keep an eye on this!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Nikon D7100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
OP rdjphoto Regular Member • Posts: 185

I am assuming it came unlocked somehow by carrying it.

Miine always has a little bit of movement between lens and body, I guess about 1/16" or so.

It also appears to lock when attached.

I will have to examine the TC to see if the pins are ok.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,378

Canon provides a neck strap.

Always carry the camera with the neck strap around your neck or arm, so that the camera cannot hit the ground. I received that advice, from a seasoned German photographer, when I purchased my Rolleiflex SL66 in 1972. None of my cameras have hit the ground to date, and none of the provided straps have broken.

Necip wrote:

How do you suggest carrying it?
--
http://necipperver.googlepages.com/
http://photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=4130063

http://www.treknature.com/members/Necipp/photos/
http://www.treklens.com/members/NecipP/photos/

OP rdjphoto Regular Member • Posts: 185

I have a neck strap, but it was for the lens. I didn't think I should have two, one for the lens and another for the body.

But I understand your point.

It does make me think about neck straps as I previously dropped and damaged my camera with lens and flash where I should have had a strap around my neck, and I didn't.

JJGP Senior Member • Posts: 1,610
once, with 1Ds & 500 F4.5 L

rdjphoto wrote:

Has anyone else had this happen?

However, cannot say for sure why.....went bicycling in the woods of Northern Ontario about 4 years ago with bicycle trailer attached. Had a rubermaid container secured to trailer. Camera gear backpack in bottom of rubermaid and camera/lens combo on backpack and lid of rubermaid container securely attached. Was riding on gravel roads and when I got to my destination, removed container lid to find out that camera was detached from lens.
jj

Badbatz Senior Member • Posts: 1,914

I wonder when was the last time you tried to carry a 1D3 with + 500/4 + TC using the neck strap..?

Badbatz Senior Member • Posts: 1,914

rdjphoto wrote:

I am assuming it came unlocked somehow by carrying it.

I've had strange things happen with camera lenses getting "separated" from the body after 10-15 hours of constant jarring (riding on a truck bed on really bad roads...)

Miine always has a little bit of movement between lens and body, I
guess about 1/16" or so.

Yeah, the movement is normal, mine has it too, but mine locks securely (knock on wood...) I'll keep an eye on it, tho...

Necip

LOL! that was I was thinking, I use my 300mm f2.8LIS plus converter on the 1dmkIII I think with a neck trap I would end up looking like the herons I photog. I got an optech strap on the lens, I don't have one on the cam.

Badbatz wrote:

I wonder when was the last time you tried to carry a 1D3 with +
500/4 + TC using the neck strap..?

radddad Veteran Member • Posts: 3,123
never ..

happened on my D300 ...
--

http://wildwally.smugmug.com/

Oak and Acorn Veteran Member • Posts: 6,124
Strap around neck for camera, and hand supporting your lens

Any other method and you're just asking for trouble, especially with really large lenses.

José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,643
Or strap on shoulder w/ hands on lens ( index finger on lens cap)

This happened to me once with the 1DIIN and luckily I 'caught' the 300/2.8 L IS as it was about to fall off from the camera.

José

Oak and Acorn wrote:

Any other method and you're just asking for trouble, especially with
really large lenses.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +14 more
Ken Phillips Forum Pro • Posts: 16,364
Yeah ... push on the little slide ...

... the wrong way, as they sometimes stick.
KP
--

http://www.ahomls.com/photo.htm
http://www.phillipsphotographer.com
Voted Best of the City 2004 by Cincinnati Magazine
I don't believe in fate, but I do believe in f/8!

'The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.', H. L. Mencken

Oak and Acorn Veteran Member • Posts: 6,124
Yikes - Re: Or strap on shoulder w/ hands on lens ( index finger on lens cap)

José B wrote:
This happened to me once with the 1DIIN and luckily I 'caught' the
300/2.8 L IS as it was about to fall off from the camera.

José

Oak and Acorn wrote:

Any other method and you're just asking for trouble, especially with
really large lenses.

Cynan1 Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: Yikes - Re: Or strap on shoulder w/ hands on lens ( index finger on lens cap)

Usually I'll use the Canon neck strap provided and if I'm using a large lens I'll rest that on my arm. However I once went on a hike with a 70-200 attached and wanted to have it resting at my side/back without having to worry about it so I used the Canon neck strap and a kirk strap on the lens to ensure both would be 100% safe.

1 hour later the lens somehow became seperated from the body. I thought that's odd, reatttached them and went on. Sometime later the same thing happened.

I'm thinking that the lens release button must have become pressed against my body and the movement caused by me hiking aloud the lens/body to turn seperate.

I doub't I'll ever do that again though - just in case.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads