40D + 24-105L soft images

Started Apr 24, 2008 | Discussions
CutterUK Senior Member • Posts: 1,306
40D + 24-105L soft images

Hi,

Anybody else using this combo 40D + 24-105L, I used thi same lens on my old 30D and IQ was very good but on the 40D images are quite soft, I also have a 5D an dthe 24-105L is pin sharp across the range, I also have a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and when I use that on my 40D IQ is pin sharp, sharper, I also have the Tokina 50-135 f2.8 and that on my 40D is very sharp as well.

problem just seems to be when I used the 24-105L on the 40D, any one else suffered the same?

Glenn_Law Regular Member • Posts: 393
Re: 40D + 24-105L soft images

I had a problem with my 40D + 24-105, but I had the same problem with my 70-300 and my 50 1.8.

I exchanged the camera and all 3 lenses work well with the replacement 40D.

Glenn

-- hide signature --

There, Their, They're. It's not that hard.

iceflame Forum Member • Posts: 96

I use that setup and my 40D is real sharp.

OP CutterUK Senior Member • Posts: 1,306

iceflame wrote:

I use that setup and my 40D is real sharp.

I wish mine was because the range is great,

I just can't work out why the IQ is so soft, the lens works fine on the 5D and all other lenses are good on the 40D

iceflame Forum Member • Posts: 96

I would call Canon up, or maybe send an email with some photos at 100% view. Don't know if you ever called Canon, but they are good about not having you on hold for to long, and I found them quite helpful.

netgarden Forum Pro • Posts: 10,770
have you tested them all at the same time?

I had my 40D calibrated, but it probably is my 300-IS that was the problem.

My 24-105 works well with the 40D tho. I doubt it'd be the camera if it works well with the others, but have it checked out.
which settings were you using? oneshot/center point?
I get sharper photos with alfocus and aiservo than one shot. dont know why.

-- hide signature --

Linda's space~ http://soulswithin.u.yuku.com/
You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. Author Unknown

netgarden's gear list:netgarden's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II +1 more
zhangji66 Junior Member • Posts: 27

I also use 24-105. IQ is a bit soft, but still sharp. Can you post some samples?
--
DanMat

Croomrider Contributing Member • Posts: 596

I use the same setup and have never had any problems!

Mike

trigger happy Regular Member • Posts: 145
30D + 24-105L soft images; samples

I just bought this lens for my 30d and would like some opinions. Here are some samples.....all hand held.

I got the 24-105mm to replace my 28-135mm and can still return it. I wanted it for my everyday lens but so far I'm not to happy sharpness.

I'm wondering if I should return for something else. My only other lens is a 10-22mm

http://triggerhappy0.smugmug.com/gallery/4800186_cgGZZ#285140912_c5q4Z

Hope the link works.... I rarely post anything usually come her to just read and learn.
Thanks

Lucian_C Contributing Member • Posts: 550
Re: 30D + 24-105L soft images; samples

I have the same combo and I am also not 100% happy. Sometimes the pics are as not sharp as I would expect. I think the expectations are too high for this lens ...

Lucian

Papa Carlo Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: 30D + 24-105L soft images; samples

trigger happy wrote:

I just bought this lens for my 30d and would like some opinions. Here
are some samples.....all hand held.
I got the 24-105mm to replace my 28-135mm and can still return it. I
wanted it for my everyday lens but so far I'm not to happy sharpness.
I'm wondering if I should return for something else. My only other
lens is a 10-22mm

http://triggerhappy0.smugmug.com/gallery/4800186_cgGZZ#285140912_c5q4Z

From what I can see the focus is ideal where the conditions are right.

The photo with a cook has very shallow DOF but still the IQ is limited only by your sensor not by the lens.

The concert photos, I agree, are soft but it is very diffiult to make it right in that lightning. So relax , nothing is wrong with your setup.

-- hide signature --
mailman88
mailman88 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,277
Re: 40D + 24-105L test not great on crop camera

Cameralabs test full frame lens (24-105L) on on crop camera and results average at best.

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +4 more
hlse Regular Member • Posts: 257

I too have this setup.
24-105L on my 400D the are tack sharp, but on the soft side with 40D.

But turning up sharpening in Photoshop one notch saves the day.
I'm happy with the images.

examples at http://www.flickr.com/photos/86761628@N00/

brian hutch Regular Member • Posts: 127

This is my standard walk-around setup. I find the pictures to be excellent - I love the contrast and color. The sharpness is good, maybe even great, but not amazing like my primes (e.g. 85mm, 100mm macro). Have you tried sharpening?

-- hide signature --

Canon 40D owner with possible plans to go full-frame in the future
Hobbyist

Hi,

Thanks for the help but I think the problem is with the Canon 24-105L, I managed to run some test shots today with the 5D + Tamron 28-75 and the 5D + 24-105L and I can see that the Tamron is a fair bit sharper, it seems that the problem is more evident when the 24-105L is on my 40D, so maybe I will send it back to canon and ask them to calibrate it in the hope that this will sort it, other wise I will sell it.

I really would like this lens to be sharper, it offers a great range but ultimitly what I really want is as good IQ as I can get from my 5D + standard lens so I might just stick with the Tamron and sell the Canon, the only real loss to be would be the 24mm end and IS but the Tamron does offer f2.8 and it lighter, I don't might changing lenses and have the canon 17-40 so the 24mm is covered.

runrider Regular Member • Posts: 439
STOP posting low-res to compare sharpness!

Any photo looks sharp if you shrink it enough. The blur approaches the size of one pixel as you shrink it. Do not post non-HIres photos in a thread about sharpness. They're usless here!
--
richalborn.smugmug.com

Re: STOP posting low-res to compare sharpness!

Hi,

Just to follow up on my issue with soft images with the 40D + 24-105L if any one is interested.

I took my 24-105L in to a Canon service centre for a check over, while I was there the tech advised that maybe the issue was with the 40D but agreed to check the lens over, this got me thinking so I ran several tests with the 40D and 400D mounted on a tripod using the same lenses, as it turns out the 400D produced sharper images in over 90% of the shots, so I took the 40D back to the store and they swapped it out for a new one, the following day I collected my 24-105L from the Canon service centre, they checked it over and found nothing wrong with it, in fact the tech said that it produced above avarange images, I again tested the 24-105L on the new 40D but again most of the images were soft, I tested the 24-105L on my 400D and almost all shots were tac sharp.

Dissapointed with the 40D I took it back and got a refund.

In the end I sold the 24-105L and used that money along with the money from my 40D and bought a Nikon D300 + 16-85VR, IQ seems a world better than the 40D but not as good as my 5D

summersr Regular Member • Posts: 382
Words from Canon article on soft pics in RAW

I found the following on the Canon site

Canon EOS digital cameras have an anti-aliasing filter installed on the image sensor.

This filter improves color rendition and practically eliminates moiré. The liability is a

slight reduction of sharpness. To reduce the softening effect of the anti-aliasing filter we
recommend applying an unsharp mask to the image in Adobe® Photoshop®. Although

there is no such thing as a “best” setting for all applications, we suggest the following
as a starting point:

Amount: 300%
Radius: 0.3 pixels
Threshold: 0 pixels

Although photographers in the field cannot duplicate the testing capabilities of a Canon

Factory Service Center, it is certainly possible to test cameras and lenses at home or in a

studio to check their performance. The following procedure may help you determine
whether your camera equipment is in need of calibration.

1. Perform your focusing test at a reasonable light level (office lighting or brighter) to
ensure optimum results.

2. Place the camera on a sturdy tripod and use a remote switch when firing the shutter.

For maximum quality, consider the use of mirror lock. (C.Fn 12 on EOS-1 class Digital
SLRs.) If you are using an IS Lens, turn off the Image Stabilizer.

3. Select a focusing target with adequate detail from center to edge. A newspaper page
is a good choice.

4. Make sure that the target is totally flat and as parallel as possible to the camera.
5. Set the camera to One-Shot AF and manually select the center focusing point.

6. Compose the picture so that the test target fills the frame from edge to edge.

7. For each of your lenses, make one exposure at the maximum aperture of the lens and

another at f/8, varying the shutter speed if necessary to adjust the exposure level as
indicated by the histogram on the camera’s LCD monitor.

Evaluation Method A: Use EOS Capture or RemoteCapture software to analyze your

images as soon as they have been transferred to your computer. RemoteCapture has a

100% magnification viewing option. (If you are using EOS Capture, you can use EOS
Viewer Utility or Digital Photo Professional to enlarge the images.)

Evaluation Method B: Open the images in your computer and make two copies of them:

one “as is” and another with a liberal amount of unsharp mask applied. Here are some
recommended settings: Amount, 300%; Radius, 0.3 pixels; Threshold 0 pixels.

Make letter-size prints on a high-quality inkjet printer using photo paper and photo ink.

Compare the results. If the camera has a consistent focusing problem with several

different lenses, then it’s reasonable to assume the camera needs an adjustment. If you

are getting sharp results from most lenses but not all, then it’s reasonable to assume
that the lens in question may need an adjustment.

KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,860
40D needs more sharpening

If some sharpening in DPP before conversion does not produce sharp pictures it can be the lens - 40D looks softer than many other cameras in default settings + 100% view.
Just use more sharpening and use only moderately the pixel peeping slider...
--
Kari
SLR photography for 40 years
60°15´N 24°03´ E

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +10 more
pupo New Member • Posts: 2

I had the same problem; so, I changed the Picture Style, choosing more sharpen, but the image appears too artificial, and with more noise.
I think 5d is much better in definition, noise e colors...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads