new kit lens II - worth getting?

Started Apr 21, 2008 | Discussions
Preach Regular Member • Posts: 252
new kit lens II - worth getting?

Somewhere I saw a comparision between the "old" kit lens and the new one. The review suggested that the new kit lens (version II) was a bit sharper.

What say this forum? Any comparision experiences?

iceblinker Contributing Member • Posts: 701
Re: new kit lens II - worth getting?

Comparison shots have been posted to this forum already. Search the archives.

I'm happy with my II. This is my favourite pic with it so far:

1/100s f/8.0 at 42.5mm iso160, RAW, Silkypix, medium amount of sharpening, some digital shift, slightly cropped.

It's almost as sharp at F5.6 too - accross the frame, thoughout the range.

-- hide signature --

Pete

Marc Sabatella Veteran Member • Posts: 6,679

Somewhere I saw a comparision between the "old" kit lens and the new
one. The review suggested that the new kit lens (version II) was a
bit sharper.

It looks to me to bit a little sharper, yes. But not so much so that I think people with the existing kit lens should go out and upgrade. I think if you're interested in higher quality lenses, you'd be better off saving the money towards something really better (like perhaps the 16-45, or waiting to see what 17-70 turns out to be like)

-- hide signature --
Roland Mabo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,462

Sharpness is a little bit better, but distorsion and vignetting about the same.
--
Take care
R
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphaelmabo

BubbaE1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,199
Vignetting

Is the vignetting really bad and which end does it affect more? Thanks.
--
Justin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinger

BubbaE1's gear list:BubbaE1's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Rosember Senior Member • Posts: 2,087
Re: Vignetting

It's worse at 18mm - but I don't think it is critically bad. For a kit lens I was very impressed by my 18-55 II on the K20D.

I have offered my lens to Klaus (photozone.de) and he will test it, yet he has a few other lenses to best. So if you want a reliable answer you have to wait a few more weeks.

Cheers,
Jan

Rosember's gear list:Rosember's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +4 more
Dr page Regular Member • Posts: 293

Don't know if it's that much sharper, bit it does seem better controlled.
It also seems more solidly put together, but that may just be newness.

Fall off in the corners I think is improved, as for distortion; well judge for your self...

18mm

55mm

I have done no PP, other than to size them down for speed.
--
Dave P

• If you believe everything you read, better not to read -

• Japanese Proverb - -

Simon97
Simon97 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,402

Hi,

There is a difference, but not sure it is worth the upgrade. Compared to Canon's 18-55 II, the kit lens that came with my K110D, is better IQ wise and in construction. Non rotating front and tulip shade. Can't ask for a better kit lens. Good job Pentax!

For me to upgrade, the new lens would be nearly half the price I paid for the whole camera kit. I'll save the money for the DA*60-250 perhaps.

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS Panasonic Lumix DC-G100
frank1 Regular Member • Posts: 193
lens comparison - new and old kit lens on DS

I did a comparison test between both lenses on my DS a while ago. Unfortunately you couldn't find the results in the archive anymore, as I was having problems with my flickr account at the moment, the photos were not properly linked to this site anymore and therefore you could not see them.

Anyway, the resuts were that edge sharpness wide open, at all focal ranges, is considerably better in normal shooting situations, i.e. if the object is moderately far away (in my case the roof of the house on the other side of the street, maybe about 10m away).

I also did a comparison test with both lenses at the minimum focus distance, and in this case both were equally soft in the edges.

The vignetting is, in my experience, absolutely identical (=pretty bad at 18mm wide open).

In short, the new version (and my old one is NOT a lemon, I am sure about this, photozone also pointed out the softness in the far edges) is definitely an improvement.

I am trying to repost the images, I hope they will show again:

1. overview of shot (in this case taken with old version, but as this is not a 100% crop, you won't be able to judge quality)

2. MK I, 18mm, f/3.5, centre:

3. MK II, 18mm, f/3.5, centre:

4. MK I, 18mm, f/3.5, left border:

5. MK II, 18mm, f/3.5, left border:

6. MK I, 18mm, f/3.5, right border:

7. MK II, 18mm, f/3.5, right border:

8. MK I, 55mm, f/5.6, left border:

9. MK II, 55mm, f/5.6, left border:

I hope this helps.

Frank

Peter McIntosh New Member • Posts: 3
Re: lens comparison - new and old kit lens on DS

I appreciate the photos people have put up - it further justifies my decision to buy one to replace the Sigma 18-50 my ist-DL came with. I'm not sure how much of an improvement it is over the original 18-55, but from what I've seen it'll leave the Sigma for dead.

Thanks again!

-- hide signature --

Peter Mac in Sydney

volosong Veteran Member • Posts: 4,318
Thanks, Frank.

Thanks for posting these. The Mark II doesn't look all that much better on the left side at f/3.5, but in all other pictures you posted, there is a HUGE difference, (well, maybe except for the center, which was pretty similar). I got one coming in the mail. Might be here Friday or Saturday.

-- hide signature --

Steven
GMT -7

volosong's gear list:volosong's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads