The Ancient Himalayan Kingdom of Spiti-Kinnaur (warning: lots of images!)

Started Apr 20, 2008 | Discussions
Advait Godbole Forum Member • Posts: 62
The Ancient Himalayan Kingdom of Spiti-Kinnaur (warning: lots of images!)

I was fortunate to make this one-of-its kind trip in the summer of 2005, to the Himalayan kingdom of Spiti-Kinnaur deep in north-eastern Himachal Pradesh, India on the Tibetan Plateau right beside the Indo-China border. Back then, it was - and i believe still remains - a really less visited region. The reasons are many, from its relative inaccessibility ( the high mountain passes that you have to cross to get in are blocked with snow for 8-9 months of the year and are cleared in summers by the Indian Army ) to the popularity of other destinations nearby. It is frequented only by intrepid travelers from around the world in search for a taste of adventure, who are attracted to the raw feel of the place and the obscure but nevertheless, challenging peaks that abound.

All the photos have been made with a Panasonic Lumix FZ 20 which, incidentally, was my first camera...I had just started out with photography and the photos may not be technically perfect...Thought I would share the story and beauty of this region here..

1. High up in the Kunzam Pass ( altitude 5200 m ), before entering the Spiti valley

2. The temple of the mountain goddess who presides over the mountain pass..legend and custom says that you have to drive around the temple once beffore you enter the valley

3.'Moonscapes' on the way to Kaza- the main town in the district..

4.The Kye monastery - an important seat of Buddhist learning in the Asian region

5.A lammergier - or a bearded vulture

6. the Horned Lark

7.A rock bunting

8. The next two pictures show the typical roads in this area..they are famous (or rather infamous) for being washed away by landslides by the melting snows due to the notoriously unstable soil...and then painstakingly built by the Army again..

10. end of a beautiful day

11. Another temple to the goddess Kali

-- hide signature --

> pixel peepers are the bane of creativity

NWbeginner New Member • Posts: 23
Re: The Ancient Himalayan Kingdom of Spiti-Kinnaur (warning: lots of images!)

Thanks for reminding me what a marvelous region it is. I was there in 1997 for two weeks and it was the most fantastic trip of my life.

Yosemite Sam Junior Member • Posts: 37

Really Nice. Thanks for posting. More pictures? How does one arrange for these tours from the US? My trips to India have always been hurried (and harried!). YS.

Airclown Regular Member • Posts: 269

nice pictures of a beautiful but indeed raw looking place on earth. thanks for sharing these!
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/airclown/

OP Advait Godbole Forum Member • Posts: 62

NWbeginner wrote:

Thanks for reminding me what a marvelous region it is. I was there
in 1997 for two weeks and it was the most fantastic trip of my life.

NW, I am really happy you made that trip...in fact, I am happy for everyone who goes there ..on a serious note, the trip really did change me as a person, in ways I cannot put a finger on...

-- hide signature --

visiting the region..

Yosemite Sam wrote:

Really Nice. Thanks for posting. More pictures? How does one
arrange for these tours from the US? My trips to India have always
been hurried (and harried!). YS.

thansk a lot YS,.. i do have a couple more but i lost most of them in a hard disk crash ( $%&* ) i remember to double back up evrything now...some of the others can be found on my flickr stream...

http://flickr.com/photos/24066768@N07/

Since you mention it, I worked at an eco-tourism organisation for 6 yrs, from my high school until I came to the US for grad school in Aug '07. I worked as a tour planner and wildlife and birdwatching guide....If you want, I can e mail you the contact details..I dont know if I can post commercial information here and I dont want to seem as using the forum for advertising..But all I can say is, the firm is as genuine and professional as they get and you cant get anyone with better local knowledge..

cheers..

-- hide signature --

sharkync Senior Member • Posts: 1,133

Beautiful shots of a part of the world apparently few people know of or have visited. Genuine thank you for sharing these memorable images.
--

Photography - One of the few things you can still do legally - sort of.

Yosemite Sam Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: visiting the region..

Thanks. I have sent you flickrmail through the link you provided. Y.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 74,668

Thanks Morris..Glad you liked them,..

-- hide signature --

RKadava Contributing Member • Posts: 994

Awesome pictures. A couple of these remind me of Alexring's vacation pictures (Daily Photo series) from France, except they were greener with more grass and vegetation.

Very good pictures, Advait.

-- hide signature --

Thanks RKadava.....It was an awesome experience being there, let alone taking photographs..

a couple of others are up on my Flickr stream:

http://flickr.com/photos/24066768@N07/

-- hide signature --

Vandyu Veteran Member • Posts: 8,897

Thank you, so much, for sharing. You are much braver than I. Despite the starkness of the landscape, beauty and delicacy still survive in the flowers and birds and hearts of mankind .

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +9 more
techmine
techmine Forum Member • Posts: 64

Great photos.. I am from Himachal Pradesh (Dharamsala - Exile home for Dalai Lama), but could not visit this place ever. I have seen other photos that are breath taking. Hopefully, its not too late. Planning to be there during summer of 2009 !!.

techmine's gear list:techmine's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix P300 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Nikon D300S +8 more
popeye69 Contributing Member • Posts: 507
PEACE for Tibet

and great pics. thanks for sharing

Ikeepem Senior Member • Posts: 1,393
-- hide signature --

Thanks for sharing! Could you imagine what these would look like if shot with a decent DSLR and lenses? Very interesting indeed!

'I am what I am and thats all I am' Popeye 1960. Favorite famous Hollywood celebrity. Don't have time for the rest.....

Ikeepem's gear list:Ikeepem's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Leica D-LUX 4 Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Canon PowerShot S95 +42 more

Thanks Ikeepem!....and actually, I plan to go there again this summer or the next to do just that

-- hide signature --

we might meet there then

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads