40D focus issues - anyone get theirs fixed?

Started Apr 17, 2008 | Discussions
nightheron Junior Member • Posts: 32
40D focus issues - anyone get theirs fixed?

In a previous lengthy thread on 40D focus issues with long telephoto lenses I mentioned that I was having focusing problems with my 40D. I sent my 40D to Canon for repair and it came back still not focusing properly. I just sent it back to Canon again. Has anyone here with 40D focus issues had theirs successfully fixed by Canon? If so, how many trips to the service center did it take?

Meanwhile, I recently bought another 40D and what a dramatic difference! The new 40D I bought is spot on in focus. Take a look at the difference in the two 100% center crops below. I don't think I need to mention which one came out of my bad 40D! My bad 40D wasn’t always that soft, but that is typical of what 7 out of 10 photos I took with it look like.

nightheron's gear list:nightheron's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +1 more
mmullen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,289
Re: 40D focus issues - anyone get theirs fixed?

The first shot doesn't look like a focus issue to me but I'm not sure what is causing the poor IQ.

You did remember to take off the clear vinyl protective sheet from the sensor?

(joking on that last point)
--
Mike Mullen

mmullen's gear list:mmullen's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +6 more
Photo-Joe Regular Member • Posts: 207

Wow what a big difference.....I am thinking about doing more test on my 40D too!

You would think that we pay over one grand for the camera body and have to send it back to Canon the next day for repair...

do car manufactor's have the same problem with selling cars....???

HDTV's, PS3 games, etc. dont seem to have that many problems with there electronics.....

Joe

my 40D is not as bad as your test shots but I need to do more testing the weekend with some baseball shots....

Ed Ellks Contributing Member • Posts: 979

Mine was very close, but I sent it into the New Jersey facility for a tweak. It was done and sent back within a week along with 4 lenses, and eveything is focusing perfectly now.

Here's the post I had previously shared with the group:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=27307914

chevysales Senior Member • Posts: 2,709

Photo-Joe wrote:

You would think that we pay over one grand for the camera body and
have to send it back to Canon the next day for repair...

do car manufactor's have the same problem with selling cars....???

Joe

yes we do and i don't care if it's an $85k corvette Z06 or a porsche 911 since i sell both i will tell you anything made by man is going to have issues that need to be addressed some more than others... as a whole i do belive the 40d's that do have issues's are miniscule compared to the amount produced and in users hands. we just read about the problems here.

that said it is no excuse nor is it anything but a hassle when the problem one is yours.

now going with above poster i don't believe thats a focusing issue it looks to me like a pic taken before is settled... not saying it was just what i have seen come out when taken like that.

have you tried different lens? parameters?
--

Forty Dee paired with the Seventy-Two Hundred IS f4L and the Seventeen-FiftyFive IS f2.8 capped off with B+W MRC UV filters and a few Kaesemann Circular Polarizers... and growing.
All safely wrapped and easily carried in a Kata R102 backpack.

chevysales's gear list:chevysales's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Pixelmator Chameleon Apple iPhone X Apple iPhone XS Max +2 more
ALS Regular Member • Posts: 125
2nd shot still looks *very* soft...

Nothing like what a properly focusing 40D is capable of.

I think you got shafted.

ALS

OP nightheron Junior Member • Posts: 32

have you tried different lens? parameters?

I have tried the following lenses with similar results: 17-55mm f/2.8, 300mm f/4L IS (with and without 1.4x extender), and 100-400mm. I took all my photos in RAW mode, so paramaters should not be an issue.

Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +1 more
Mark Taylor Regular Member • Posts: 372

I had focusing issues where I could consistently get a better focus by manual focusing on both my lenses. After calibration I'm much happier now.

I feel more confident now that I can spend money on better quality lenses, tomorrow I'm picking up a Canon 100mm Macro, fingers crossed it will be a good 'un.
--
Mark.

Mark Taylor's gear list:Mark Taylor's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic GH5 +9 more
OP nightheron Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: 2nd shot still looks *very* soft...

There is nothing wrong with the second crop. It was taken at 400mm at a distance of 55 feet. Both have some minor jpeg compression applied.

ALS wrote:

I think you got shafted.

ALS

Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Forum Pro • Posts: 10,532

I saw the same problems with my first 40D, I couldn't get a sharp shot even when the camera thought it was focused, the replacement is spot on

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon RF 600mm F11 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +1 more

Well I guess I will test more on my 40D too and if I have to send it in I will..

Now how about if I have a Canon 40D and a Sigma 70-200-2.8 lens.

Do I send both in to Canon and then say if Canon states its the lens do I have to send the whole set up cameera and lens to Sigma corp for repair...?

if it is the lens and not the camera...

Then if I have a Tamron lens with problems I need to send the camera and lens to Tamron...etc.....?

Maybe I need to get all Canon Gear.....
Thanks,
Joe

Daniella Forum Pro • Posts: 53,000
Re: 2nd shot still looks *very* soft...

ALS wrote:

second shot is fine.

I think you got shafted.

ALS

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/zylen

'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience'

Daniella Forum Pro • Posts: 53,000

Photo-Joe wrote:

Well I guess I will test more on my 40D too and if I have to send it
in I will..

Now how about if I have a Canon 40D and a Sigma 70-200-2.8 lens.
Do I send both in to Canon and then say if Canon states its the lens
do I have to send the whole set up cameera and lens to Sigma corp for
repair...?

sigma will not repair your camera..Canon will not repair your sigma lens.

in order to have your Canon camera calibrated, if it is out of wack, send it with a CANON lens, not a Sigma lens.

Once it return well calibrated with one of your Canon lens, if the Sigma lens still is out of wack, then send it to Sigma because it is the lens and not the camera.

It might just work well after calibration but don't send a Sigma lens to canon.

if it is the lens and not the camera...

Then if I have a Tamron lens with problems I need to send the camera
and lens to Tamron...etc.....?

right.

Maybe I need to get all Canon Gear.....

right..at least in order to test if the camera works fine, test it with a Canon lens.

if it does not focus well, then send it to Canon with a Canon lens.

Thanks,
Joe

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/zylen

'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience'

Re: 40D focus issues

Thank you,

I have the Canon 85mm 1.8, the 50mm 1.8 and the 28-135mm IS that i can test.

I also think my sigma and Tamron are both front forcusing need to check all lens
again....

I think my problem could be the lens not the camera like the OP said...in this post.

Joe

I might send in all my Canon gear just to make sure....I do have the first digital rebel 300d that I wll test the same canon lens on too...

Sal Baker Forum Pro • Posts: 11,517

I believe it's best to always test your camera as soon as you get it. If there is an AF issue with lenses that you know are good, send it back to the retailer for a new camera within the dealer's 15 or 30 day exchange period.

I know, some will say send the camera to Canon instead as the camera dealer may continue to sell your bad camera to someone else. Personally, I don't believe thats true if you buy from a reputable dealer. I really doubt they continue to sell pre-owned defective gear as "factory fresh."

Sending the camera back for exchange puts the retailer in a position to put pressure on the manufacturer if there are consistent QC issues. Sending it to Canon is easy for them as it's just another quick adjustment at the repair facility--nowhere near as expensive as it is for them to take back a camera and sell it as refurbished.

If a high enough percentage of cameras end up going back for exchange, the manufacturer will fix the problem on the assembly line since it's better for their overall bottom line.

Just my opinion of course.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
ccs70 Junior Member • Posts: 38

I'm sending mine in to New Jersey for the second time.
Crossing my fingers.

vlam New Member • Posts: 13

Mine was like that (maybe worse). I'm kind of new to DSLR and thought it was lack of experience on my part. After so many disappointed photos, I've decided to send it back to Canon for adjustment. What do you know... it wasn't my fault at all. Focus problem was fixed and now I get a lot more "keepers" every time.

Don't expect to get razor sharp photos if you don't have a L lens though.

Happy shooting!

JimH Forum Pro • Posts: 12,912
Calibration procedures...

Canon does not use your lenses to calibrate your camera body. When people send in their lenses along with their bodies, it's not so that Canon will calibrate them to each other. It's so that they ALL get calibrated. The hope is that everything will then work and play well together.

Bodies are calibrated against reference "tool" lenses (not your lens - ever). Your lenses, likewise, are calibrated against references (not your body). They may TEST your lens with your body once they've calibrated them both, but they will NOT calibrate your body to your lens or vice versa.

As has been mentioned, Canon won't calibrate or repair your third-party lens. Nor will the third-party lens makers work on your Canon body. So there's no need to send your non-Canon lens(es) in with your body.

If you're having AF issues with some lenses, but not with others, then you're always left wondering if it's the body, or the lenses, or both that are to blame.

If you're having AF issues with a lot of Canon lenses, then it seems reasonable to suspect the body. If you're having AF issues with only one or a few lenses, then the lenses may be more likely to be bad.

Unless the items are under warranty, you'll pay to have them checked and calibrated. So you have to weigh that in your decision to "send it all in".

Still, if you send all of your Canon gear in at once, even though they WON'T adjust them to each other (for obvious reasons), they WILL adjust them all against their reference standards. So the result should be that when you get it back, everything will work very well together. Of course, the performance of your non-Canon lenses will be another matter.

If, after getting all of the Canon gear back, it all works great but the third-party lens(es) are still bad, then they need to go back to their respective manufacturers to be adjusted.

While you do NOT need or want to send your camera in with the third-party lens(es), you probably should tell them what Canon body you'll be using. Sometimes the third-party lens makers need to re-chip them or even adjust them specially for particular body models.

I'm not sure where people get the idea that Canon will adjust their body to their lens or vice versa. If they ever did that, then you'd end up with a body or lens that had been purposely mis-adjusted and which would now NOT work with other bodies (or lenses). The ultimate goal is to have all bodies adjusted to the same standards and all lenses likewise adjusted to the same standards. That way, everything remains interchangeable.

My lens should work fine on your body and your lens should work fine on mine. If they don't, then something is mis-calibrated.

-- hide signature --

Jim H.

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226

ccs70 wrote:

I'm sending mine in to New Jersey for the second time.
Crossing my fingers.

sending mine in there too.
we'll see....

mamamia Forum Member • Posts: 89
Paranoia...

is what these threads lead to, IMHO...

I'm a new 40D + 17-40 owner, and beeing busy at work I could only take snap shots to make sure everything works fine. I read so much about FF and BF that I did all the 45º test, and mine is in perfect focus (as much as I can tell).

I then again read this post, and guess what...did another test outside, on the tripod, focusing on a wall. Everything is just fine,...anyone surprised?

I bet, 6 months from now, I'll read another post (not a blog of course) and I'll do another test. And if I find that my camera doesn't focus to my expectations, I'll send it back to Canon for recalibration.

My point is that Canon offers peace of mind in the sense of listening to their users and checking their cameras, under warranty, and it shouldn't take longer than that to figure if someone has a problem or not. What more can you ask for?

Can you imagine how many perfect cameras they get back for checking, and they don't call us photo-chalenged or vision-impared or just simply silly? And so what if anyone has to pay for S/H to send it back? Should they cover that as well? I don't think so...

Anyway, enough said, I wish there was a perfect camera and a perfect world, if it comes to that...

Cheers,

Alex

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads