There's room below the 1 and above the 5

Started Apr 16, 2008 | Discussions
Ludovic Monchat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,217
There's room below the 1 and above the 5

It's just a statement of fact, there's room for a pro cam, maybe not a 1 but something else, FF and "serious"

I do shoot more and more for money, lucky I am, and I use a 5D plus a 20D as a backup. Yesterday I shot a French well know singer in a large venue. 5 songs in the pit facing the stage and the rest from the mixing desk. I did use a 35L, 85L II a 24-70L and a 70-200 IS.

The keeper ratio is quite low because of the "placid" AF of the cam. The artist spins like a spring, runs a lot and when you add to this a dim ambience and just some powerful beam of light, the 5D can't keep up.

Same with the fps, 5 or at least 4 is needed on a pro cam even if I 'm not a machine gun.

Same with the flushing on the memory card or the processing of the shot. I've been forced and wait a couple of time. I shoot RAW only on Extreme III.

Same with the exposure mode. No way to know but looking at the dial when you have the chance to get some light on. The viewfinder is large but rather poor in terms of info

Same with the dust. Sadly one bl00dy f* speck get in the chamber and shows on most of my shots even from f5,6 each time the colored key was lit

Same with the battery. A lens like the 70-200 IS drains it too quickly. Of course I have spare batteries.

I miss the highlight priority option to preserve some detail when a trooper strikes and 14 bit files to have smoother color gradations and a better shadows detail.

Last but not least, I miss a stop, just one but a 3200 as good as the 1600 just to have some additional speed. I don't need "detail washed" 25600, just a great 3200.

DONT say this cam already exist, as it's not quite true. I don't want a 1Ds mkIII, the price, the average/poor quality at 3200 and the limited buffer in RAW among other points doesn't make it desiderable to me. The same with a 1DmkIII. I do not trust the AF, I don't need 10 fps and above all, I want a FF.

The ideal solution would be to create a new cam pulling up people ready to spend 3200 up to 3500 $ for a great sensor like the 5D in a consumer body toward the "real" pro range.

I would be ready to spend 4000$ for a FF "1D like" cam but focusing on ISO and speed rather than simple mpix. Let's call it 2D. With a grip, 14 mpix, highlight priority, 6fps, 14 bit, antidust, watersealed, 300k rear screen, auto iso, 3200+HI, 1D autofocus and metering system, lens calibration...

Canon could probably offer at 14 mpix a convincing 6400 ISO, probably not at 16 mpix so in my dreams the mpix race would finish, at least on this new model.

And maybe it could be interesting to fit the very same new sensor in a 40D like body at 2200$

The 5D is and will remain a great cam, a splendid idea that certainly boosted Canon's lens sales and helped enthousiasts like me to love even more the photography and to start collecting money out of it...But it's not a pro tool, by far.

-- hide signature --

Ludo from Paris
Tankers of tools, thimbels of talent
BestOf http://ludo.smugmug.com/gallery/1158249

coudet Veteran Member • Posts: 4,117
Re: There's room below the 1 and above the 5

I dont see a camera below 1, I see that you basically want a FF version of 1D3..

Ludovic Monchat wrote:

I would be ready to spend 4000$ for a FF "1D like" cam but focusing
on ISO and speed rather than simple mpix. Let's call it 2D. With a
grip, 14 mpix, highlight priority, 6fps, 14 bit, antidust,
watersealed, 300k rear screen, auto iso, 3200+HI, 1D autofocus and
metering system, lens calibration...

papparazzi Senior Member • Posts: 1,997

You are every bit right in wanting a camera like this! This is what we should have got along time ago. But since canon "you can't" deliver the goods...maybe it's time to migrate to another system... yes NIKON!
--

http://www.pbase.com/jdf

papparazzi's gear list:papparazzi's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600 +10 more
candleJack Senior Member • Posts: 1,453
I second that!

Basically everything the 1d/ds have only with a different combination of Mpix to fps (plus FF). 14MP @ 6fps is 85% of 10MP @ 10fps. You are asking too much (considering the circumstances) for $4000.. maybe $4500 to $5000.

Anyway, hope you get it.. at least it will quiet the Nikon fanboys and will put a nice look on the face of the defectors. :))

Regards,
Alex

coudet wrote:
I dont see a camera below 1, I see that you basically want a FF
version of 1D3..

Ludovic Monchat wrote:

I would be ready to spend 4000$ for a FF "1D like" cam but focusing
on ISO and speed rather than simple mpix. Let's call it 2D. With a
grip, 14 mpix, highlight priority, 6fps, 14 bit, antidust,
watersealed, 300k rear screen, auto iso, 3200+HI, 1D autofocus and
metering system, lens calibration...

-- hide signature --

..washing my hands before every shoot..

candleJack's gear list:candleJack's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +5 more
Cesare Ferrari Regular Member • Posts: 431

I was in the market last year for a new digital SLR and had a good go with the 5D, and decided it wasn't for me. The images were lovely, but the handling wasn't what I wanted. I want a digital Eos 3. I went with a second hand 1D Mark II for the same money as a new 5D, and still feel I made the right call.

Now if Canon do manage to release a digital version of the Eos 3 then i'll be very interested and may well change.

Cesare

Cesare Ferrari's gear list:Cesare Ferrari's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
wickedphotos Regular Member • Posts: 382
Sounds like you want a D3! n/t
Mark7 Regular Member • Posts: 305

Im the same. A digital eos 3 would satisfy my needs. At the moment I feel Canon have me in a never land.

Badbatz Senior Member • Posts: 1,914

You calaim to be shooting for money but sound like a rank amateur: if 5D is not good for your purposes, find a camera that does it for ya and be done with it. Nikon shounds good at this moment. Geez - cameras are tools!

Habemus_Canon Senior Member • Posts: 2,437
Huh?

papparazzi wrote:

You are every bit right in wanting a camera like this! This is what
we should have got along time ago. But since canon "you can't"
deliver the goods...maybe it's time to migrate to another system...
yes NIKON!
--

So which Nikon camera meets those specs?

Habemus_Canon's gear list:Habemus_Canon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD600 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D +14 more
Cesare Ferrari Regular Member • Posts: 431

And I still shoot B&W with my Eos 3...

Cesare

Cesare Ferrari's gear list:Cesare Ferrari's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
OP Ludovic Monchat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,217
Of course a camera is a tool

Never told the opposite.

I was just dreaming of a better tool. A bit like a carpenter asking for a new electric saw with some specific features that will help him doing the job faster, more safely but certainly not with more talent or watsoever in artistic terms.

Yeah, I'm just asking for a new tool that could satisfy me. Something wrong with this ??

Of course I'm amateur. I get an average of 1000$ per month but despite this status, I have a couple of ideas and know quite precisely the cam I would like to have assuming that 7 Canon, Zeiss and Leitz lenses are an acceptable reason not to switch.

Ludo from Paris

No, frankly not.

I don't care about brand, but I have some fine 5D's profiles for my Raw converter, some among the best Canon lenses, and I don't want to switch each time one of the two contenders win a round.

The D3 is a good cam, no doubt about it and if I have in my dreams described something very close to the Nikon's flagship, well, that just means that they have created a tool that can satisfy my shooting style. Hope Canon will do the same.

Basically a pro FF with less mpix and more image quality.

-- hide signature --

Ludo from Paris

Daniel Clune
Daniel Clune Veteran Member • Posts: 3,453
sounds like you want...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=27164290
the rumored 5D replacment. To bad i doubt its true but we can hope.
--
http://www.pbase.com/dc9mm

Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
No, not really

The must would be to have a real pro cam fully made for IQ, no compromise, no strange NR, no pixel race, just a dream FF cam able to replace the 1DsmkII with less mpix, but a better sensor, a better processing, a better metering and a better AF

I know, that's a dream.

-- hide signature --

Ludo from Paris

wickedphotos Regular Member • Posts: 382
That is pretty much what I meant

What I meant was you probably want Canon to build a camera similar to the D3, like a 3D. Full frame, EF mount, 12-14 MP max, super low light sensativity with native ISO 6400 built in. I know I would love to see something like that.
--
http://www.photobyaaron.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photobyaaron/sets/

Michael_J Veteran Member • Posts: 4,811
Canon should make a 1D, 2D, 3D, 4D, 5D, 6D, 7D, 8D & 9D.

And release new versions of said bodies quarterly, then everyone would be happy! ...until they went bankrupt.

-- hide signature --

People who claim to be open minded never see it my way.

Michael

Thanks for the laugh.

Now seriously, don't you think that there's a big hole in the Canon lineup ??

-- hide signature --

Ludo from Paris

Michael_J Veteran Member • Posts: 4,811
Re: Michael

Ludovic Monchat wrote:

Thanks for the laugh.

You're welcome.

Now seriously, don't you think that there's a big hole in the Canon
lineup ??

To be serious, I don't care. That is to say, it doesn't bother me because the 1D series fits my needs and is what I've been using almost exclusively* for 6 years. I suppose it might be different if I needed or wanted a 5D-like body.

I did have a 10D for 2 months and I have shot with 20D's now and again.

-- hide signature --

Ludo from Paris

-- hide signature --

People who claim to be open minded never see it my way.

sergesret Regular Member • Posts: 141

I recently bought a used Eos 3 to use in situations where my 5D might be damaged or stolen or where I want to use B&W films. I must say it's a really great camera and I love using it. It has the solidity of a 1D camera but more the size of the 5D which I like. Would love to see that body with a digital sensor.

Cesare Ferrari wrote:

And I still shoot B&W with my Eos 3...

Cesare

-- hide signature --

http: www.flickr.com/cgivfx

Kai Hui Senior Member • Posts: 2,309
Learn to use what you have

People make fantastic photos, there are no reason that you can't. If nobody else can take the photos you want, what's your worry?

Tool is only tool, you and your competitors have the same tool.

If Canon does come up something as you wish now, you'd complain again in 3 days that it is not fast enough to shoot a flying bullet.

Technology has advanced pretty fast, but the one who push the button hasn't.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads